General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing - Page 14 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing

TRVMP

The Copa Libertadores in South America could be producing it's first ever Superclasico final if Boca Juniors hold onto a 2-0 lead away to Palmeiras in Brazil tonight.

River Plate came from 2 down on aggregate in the last 10 minutes away to Gremio last night to win on away goals and send the Gremio fans mental in the process after scoring a disputed penalty in injury time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKq2y5szLv0

Would be great to see the final, especially if Boca get through. Expect to only see it on a bookies' website though.

The Copa Libertadores in South America could be producing it's first ever Superclasico final if Boca Juniors hold onto a 2-0 lead away to Palmeiras in Brazil tonight.

River Plate came from 2 down on aggregate in the last 10 minutes away to Gremio last night to win on away goals and send the Gremio fans mental in the process after scoring a disputed penalty in injury time.

Would be great to see the final, especially if Boca get through. Expect to only see it on a bookies' website though.

Watched the second half last night, I knew once that useless haddie Everton scuffed the one-on-one (around 2:56 in the video) that River had a real chance to pull it back... but it was still a surprise that they actually did it. Out tonight so I won't see the Boca-Palmeiras game but I reckon they'll see it out.

A definite highlight of last night was that, the second the FT whistle went in the 14th (fourteenth) minute of stoppage time, the Brazilian military police were on the pitch in nanoseconds to shield the officials :lol: I don't blame them - while he got the penalty correct, people in the stands won't have seen the replay and would be Neil Lennon-goaded levels of seething.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

Another Edinburgh Derby, another 0-0 draw. It was a cracking watch, plenty of shenanigans and handbags. Hearts goalkeeper punches and Neil Lennon scudded with a coin after goading the natives. Quality. 

"People will say I was winding the crowd up; I wasn't. I was just giving a bit back for the abuse I was taking for 90 minutes."

Lennon apparently not quite grasping the "winding up" thing there. Quite enjoyed the fact that he was rolling about the ground one minute and perfectly fine the next, the greetin' faced tit would have combusted if a Hearts player had done that in the box.

That said, if you go to a football game and get so enraged by a player or manager gesturing towards you that you have to lob a coin at them or swing a punch then you're an absolute helmet of the highest order.

Edited by EanieMeany
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

AWMSC

My issue with him is he alway retrospectively plays the victim, when a lot of the time he's the cause of the treatment he gets. Albeit coins being thrown is out or order. 

He does but it did make me laugh watching him wind up the home support after the disallowed goal. If we didn't have dafties like Lennon about the game it would be the poorer for it. Football is an emotional game and I suspect every one of us has lost the plot at one time or another.

Edited by HamCam

He does but it did make me laugh watching him wind up the home support after the disallowed goal. If we didn't have dafties like Lennon about the game it would be the poorer for it. Football is an emotional game and I suspect everyone one of us has lost the plot at one time or another.

I don't have a problem with players/managers having a wee bit of banter with fans, but Lennon's a dick most of the time. He's like a spoilt wean, either throwing tantrums or being desperate to be the centre of attention.

It's pretty cringeworthy how angry fully grown adults who've spent 90 minutes hurling all sorts of abuse at somebody get if that person so much as looks at them funny, but at the same time we could also do without Lennon's constant attempts to stir up the most volatile situations. Again, there's no defence for flinging coins or flinging punches, but that doesn't mean managers should be going out their way to cause more aggro in the heat of a derby game.

If players are getting booked for an innocuous celebration like Reece Lyon's the other night, then managers really should be conducting themselves a lot better. There's "passion", there's "banter" and there's just being a bit of a dick. Neil Lennon really could do with learning where the lines are.

AWMSC

He does but it did make me laugh watching him wind up the home support after the disallowed goal. If we didn't have dafties like Lennon about the game it would be the poorer for it. Football is an emotional game and I suspect everyone one of us has lost the plot at one time or another.

There's being a dafty and there's putting your life at risk though.

Lennon's been attacked in his car, had explosives in his mail intercepted, been attacked by some fanny running onto the park at Tynecastle and now been hit by a coin there. And that's only the incidents off the top of my head. He's probably the highest profile Irish Republican living in Scotland- with that comes an element of risk, before you consider how much he does to antagonise those who despise him.

Putting aside the politics on either side, and what we consider to be acceptable and unacceptable behaviour, there are some serious nutjobs in this country, and it only takes one person who wants him dead to get the job done.

Acts like spitting on a Rangers scarf as a Celtic player and lording it over the Hearts fans last night only goto fuel the flames and could one day end up with a tragic ending. That doesn't in any way make him responsible for the actions of that fanny last night- there's only one guy responsible for that and he/she should be punished accordingly, but at what point is Lennon going to realise he's in a unique position and for his own safety he'll have to tone it down?

It's all well and good blaming the scum element of society for what misfortunes befall Lennon, but the majority of us accepting him as a wind up merchant isn't going to save him when someone decides to take it further than it already has gone one day.

There's being a dafty and there's putting your life at risk though.

Lennon's been attacked in his car, had explosives in his mail intercepted, been attacked by some fanny running onto the park at Tynecastle and now been hit by a coin there. And that's only the incidents off the top of my head. He's probably the highest profile Irish Republican living in Scotland- with that comes an element of risk, before you consider how much he does to antagonise those who despise him.

Putting aside the politics on either side, and what we consider to be acceptable and unacceptable behaviour, there are some serious nutjobs in this country, and it only takes one person who wants him dead to get the job done.

Acts like spitting on a Rangers scarf as a Celtic player and lording it over the Hearts fans last night only goto fuel the flames and could one day end up with a tragic ending. That doesn't in any way make him responsible for the actions of that fanny last night- there's only one guy responsible for that and he/she should be punished accordingly, but at what point is Lennon going to realise he's in a unique position and for his own safety he'll have to tone it down?

It's all well and good blaming the scum element of society for what misfortunes befall Lennon, but the majority of us accepting him as a wind up merchant isn't going to save him when someone decides to take it further than it already has gone one day.

Agree entirely

It's also worth pointing out that Celtic and their supporters are in a large part responsible for creating that kind of atmosphere. If you're going to go in to the Celtic job knowing fine well what kind of s***e goes along with it and go out of your way to be as obnoxious as possible knowing the kind of headcases involved, then you're part of the problem. Whether it should be that way or not is by the by, it's how it is and the two club's representatives should be well aware of it and behave accordingly. 

Edited by EanieMeany

AWMSC

I am not disagreeing with the general tone of comments, I am just not convinced Lennon's actions last-night in celebrating the disallowed goal were over-the-top! I prefer characters in the game in Scotland. Having individuals who you despise and want to see fail helps create an atmosphere around a game - you only have to look at our last game against Falkirk. I however accept the onus is on the individual to take responsibility for their actions and where required moderate their behaviour. Lennon has been ill-judged in his persecution complex but some of the responses are completely unacceptable. I am no fan of Lennon but much prefer him to so many of the 'grey' managers out there who offer nothing by way of personality. Football is becoming far too sanitized - taking banners and snakes off fans before the Falkirk game!

• Upvote 1

I think squaring up to Duffy at Easter Road last season summed him up. He charged about like a fanny, knowing that people would get in between him and Duffy. At one point, if Lennon has reached out, he could easily have reached Duffy. He realised his position and bounced behind one of his coaches before continuing to shout the odds. Duffy would have booted the shite out of him had it got physical. Jumps about shouting the odds when he knows people will prevent it anyone landing one on him, but probably takes a security guard out with him to buy a pint of milk. 

I do enjoy his antics, but one day someone is going to do him some serious damage. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

There's no doubt that that fuels some of it, but the fact that he's routinely an absolute helmet is a far bigger factor by this stage.You can't run about behaving like he does and not be a hate figure, but I suppose you need to fuel the victim complex. I don't really buy into the "he's interesting"; as I said before, there's a difference between banter, a wind-up and being a dickhead and that's what Lennon more often than not is. 

When you see him in interviews on other subjects he comes across as quite intelligent, insightful and good-humoured, which makes his meltdowns all the more pathetic.

AWMSC

Reports suggesting that River Plate could possibly be disqualified due to their suspended manager entering the dressing room at half time.

https://en.as.com/en/2018/11/01/football/1541105778_779755.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

AWMSC