On This Day - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

On This Day

Admin

2005 - Morton 4-0 Arbroath (Lilley, Hawke, Cormack, Blair)

After holding us to a 2-2 draw at Gayfield, we were too strong for the Lichties in the replay.

1997, I'm sure this was? Certainly not as late as 2005 going by the names of some of those goalscorers.

Anyway, no point in starting a new thread about it, but I spotted something on Facebook last night that may be of interest to a few on here (I'm not on commission, honest).

£30's a bit steep for a book, but I ordered it anyway. Got a similar one about the national team at Christmas which was good, so hopefully I'll enjoy the Morton version.

http://scotsfootycards.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=104

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1997, I'm sure this was? Certainly not as late as 2005 going by the names of some of those goalscorers.

Anyway, no point in starting a new thread about it, but I spotted something on Facebook last night that may be of interest to a few on here (I'm not on commission, honest).

£30's a bit steep for a book, but I ordered it anyway. Got a similar one about the national team at Christmas which was good, so hopefully I'll enjoy the Morton version.

http://scotsfootycards.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=104

It was 1997 - no idea how I managed that!

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

I've spoken with AyrshireTon, and agreed that he is going to take over updating the thread to avoid repetition of posts. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank AyrshireTon for his excellent, personalised contributions to the thread. 

29th January - 

2014 - Morton 1-1 Queen of the South (Archie Campbell)

Fairly sure this was a rearranged game after the original was abandoned due to a supporter collapsing in the Sinclair Street end.

2011 - Morton 2-1 Ross County (Jenkins, Lyle)

2005 - Morton 0-2 Brechin City

Plenty of angry voices after this one.

1994 - Morton 2-2 Cowdenbeath (McEwan, Lilley)

A shocking perfomance against a dire Cowden team. Whilst we were pleased to get the replay with two late goals, in truth this was a travesty of a result.

http://youtu.be/w_3iynTEHeA

1990 - Raith Rovers 1-3 Morton (Fowler, Alexander 2)

I remember this one well. The fans were put in the wrong ends for this for some reason. We were behind to an early goal and all signs were that our season was finished already. A low Fowler drive got us level just on half time and Alexander put us 2-1 up at the start of the second half. The rest of the game was spent at the far end of the park as Rovers laid siege to our goal with the referee content to add on whatever they needed to equalise. A quick break saw Rowan make it 3-1 and the full time whistle promtply followed. Next - Aberdeen away.

1983 - Morton 2-1 Alloa (McNab, Hutchison)

Winners got St. Mirren at home.

Other notable results from further back (all league games)

1955 - St. Johnstone 6-1 Morton

1916 - Morton 5-1 Hibernian

1910 - Morton 2-0 Port Glasgow Athletic

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

29th January - 

2014 - Morton 1-1 Queen of the South (Archie Campbell)

Fairly sure this was a rearranged game after the original was abandoned due to a supporter collapsing in the Sinclair Street end.

It was. Queens had a man sent off just before and after half time. Kenny Shiels tried to argue that it's not easy playing against 9 men.  :blink:

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

29th January - 

1994 - Morton 2-2 Cowdenbeath (McEwan, Lilley)

A shocking perfomance against a dire Cowden team. Whilst we were pleased to get the replay with two late goals, in truth this was a travesty of a result.

This was the first Morton game I was taken to as a child. Left early at 0-2, got to the car to hear it was 2-2. Never left early since

This was the first Morton game I was taken to as a child. Left early at 0-2, got to the car to hear it was 2-2. Never left early since

Was about to post the same thing.

One of my clearest memories supporting Morton as a 9 year old standing behind the goals at Sinclair Street in the pishing rain!

Remember leaving early and jumping on the bus to head back up to the Port when the goals came through on the radio!

Don’t think it was my first (which I think was a heavy defeat to Rangers in a friendly?) but the first I properly remember and the excitement of the last few minutes is probably the reason why I came back.

Was about to post the same thing.

One of my clearest memories supporting Morton as a 9 year old standing behind the goals at Sinclair Street in the pishing rain!

Remember leaving early and jumping on the bus to head back up to the Port when the goals came through on the radio!

The replay is the only time I’ve been to Cowdenbeath.

Don’t think it was my first (which I think was a heavy defeat to Rangers in a friendly?) but the first I properly remember and the excitement of the last few minutes is probably the reason why I came back.

We played endless friendlies and testimonials against Rangers in those days. Reckon the heavy defeat may have been the 4-0 one for John McNeil’s testimonial.

Love the fact that a late scraped draw with Cowdenbeath got you hooked. :lol:

The replay is the only time I’ve been to Cowdenbeath.

Probably the only time that the green & black kit was seen on TV (which I reckon I’m alone in liking).

I missed their goal as I’d been watching Wylie send the scorer flying, immediately thinking a red card was coming - and wondered why the home fans were cheering.

I was only 6. I think the fact I made my Dad leave early is one of the reasons I wasn't taken back until the Dundee United 2-2 game 2 years later!

Never been. Never will. Point of principle.

When some club went tits up (Gretna or Rangers, can’t remember which) there was a re-shuffling of the relegation & playoff losers. Berwick fans on P&B were moaning about “losing two quality away days at Cowdenbeath” as a result. I had to ask - and they were being serious.

When some club went tits up (Gretna or Rangers, can’t remember which) there was a re-shuffling of the relegation & playoff losers. Berwick fans on P&B were moaning about “losing two quality away days at Cowdenbeath” as a result. I had to ask - and they were being serious.

It would've been when Gretna died. IIRC they lost the play off final on penalties to Stenhousemuir, whilst they won the Second Division in 2012 to be joined by play-off losers Airdrie and winners Dumbarton.

Much as I despise the club and fans, I quite enjoy a day at Cowdenbeath. Total bin of a ground ad town, but certainly preferable to Methil, Kirkcaldy, Airdrie, Livingston or Dumbarton for a day out at the football.

It would've been when Gretna died. IIRC they lost the play off final on penalties to Stenhousemuir, whilst they won the Second Division in 2012 to be joined by play-off losers Airdrie and winners Dumbarton.

Much as I despise the club and fans, I quite enjoy a day at Cowdenbeath. Total bin of a ground ad town, but certainly preferable to Methil, Kirkcaldy, Airdrie, Livingston or Dumbarton for a day out at the football.

Agreed and the locals are tremendous value. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Why the dislike for Cowdenbeath? They seem pretty harmless to me, albeit they're in real danger of falling out of the league (again.)

The inbreds who congregate for a fight at full time more than anything else, but Fife, their reputation as a Rangers tribute act (before Rangers had an actual tribute act) and our minbus getting tanned on the way out of town from a midweek game don't help their cause.

If they go down, I'll delight in seeing their eventual liquidation.

Archived