Q&a With Warren Hawke - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Q&a With Warren Hawke

No one will pay to buy Morton if Rae wants all his debt, he accumulated, covered.

It has been evident for some time change has been required. The board should be assessing if selling up in in the strategic plan for Greenock Morton and if a buyer can be identified.

I think you're overstating how much influence he has now.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems he's taken a step back and is pretty much retired.

It hasn't been confirmed anywhere and could be taken as an assumption unless anyone can confirm? For what I can see, he is still the main influencer and executive figure at Cappielow with the club sponsored by and ran as a subsidiary of his parent company - Golden casket.

I'm for change as much as the next, but I believe irnbru is correct. He doesn't call the shots anymore.

If it is the case, why not have some correspondence with the fans to let them know there has been a change? Who is the Chairman of the club now? Is it Crawford?

It has been time for change for some time now. I don't see it coming

To the contrary,I think it's inevitable. I believe that all the signs point to the fact that we are coming to the end of an era. In terms of time scale - I think it's largely down to Crawford's appetite for continuing.

Despite the positive spin from the Hawk etc about making progress in different areas - the most recent big decisions have all turned out to be massive own goals which have impacted on fan moral and attendances obviously.

Sadly, the current board have run out of steam and it is indeed time for change.

Show Racism the Red Card

If Crawford was de facto running the club then the Golden Casket tap - in reality, the weeping debt ulcer - would be shut down. And that's not a criticism incidentally. It's possible that it already has (the accounts are usually 18 months behind events), but you'd expect outward signs of such a seismic shift behind the scenes. It's just the same old clown-car operation instead.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It hasn't been confirmed anywhere and could be taken as an assumption unless anyone can confirm? For what I can see, he is still the main influencer and executive figure at Cappielow with the club sponsored by and ran as a subsidiary of his parent company - Golden casket.

Don't forget he's in his 80s so it's not unrealistic to not be as involved as he once was. I don't think he's fit enough to do that anyway.

IF Douglas has, officially, stepped aside and made Crawford the lead at Cappielow then why not inform the fans? Why keep it confined to Cappielow and have fans assuming what is going on or have a few 'in the know' privy to such detail?

I would agree that the Rae family are very much past their sell by date and Morton need to go on the reduced price isle to allow a new owner to come in and make the onfield and off field improvements that are desperately required.

If Douglas has stepped aside, best of luck to him. He came in with a 5 year plan and unfortunately it never reached the heights we were led to believe we would reach and the time has come for fresh ideas.

Don't forget he's in his 80s so it's not unrealistic to not be as involved as he once was. I don't think he's fit enough to do that anyway.

I get that he is getting older but why not announce it to the fans that he has moved aside or even at his hall of fame induction? Maybe the perfect platform for him.

The lack of communication has been dire over the years but surely something like this they could let the fans know?

IF Douglas has, officially, stepped aside and made Crawford the lead at Cappielow then why not inform the fans? Why keep it confined to Cappielow and have fans assuming what is going on or have a few 'in the know' privy to such detail?

I would agree that the Rae family are very much past their sell by date and Morton need to go on the reduced price isle to allow a new owner to come in and make the onfield and off field improvements that are desperately required.

If Douglas has stepped aside, best of luck to him. He came in with a 5 year plan and unfortunately it never reached the heights we were led to believe we would reach and the time has come for fresh ideas.

If he's not fit enough and in good enough health to have as much input then it's a private matter. Warren is CEO now so is the man responsible for the day to day running of the club. I'm not sure what more info you'd be looking for - that's all common knowledge and no one has hidden that.

I think you're overstating how much influence he has now.

Douglas Rae doesn't need to rock up at Cappielow or Parklea every working day to have a decisive influence over the debt, which was the specific point being discussed. There will be no consequences from that alarming bill while Douglas Rae is at the club in any capacity: it would tarnish his 'legacy' at the club and that's not going to happen.

Only when ownership of GMFC and the rest of the Golden Casket businesses are passed on to the rest of the family will that turd hit the fan. And they'd have to be insane to double down on a football club venture that they've proven to be completely shan at running and has significantly run down their personal inheritance already.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

But it is all an assumption given we have never been informed that there has been a change in personnel. Douglas stepping aside is not common knowledge. Maybe you are privy to more information than the rest of us.

Yes, we know Warren is CEO but he requires authorisation from the chairman or whoever is managing the finances at the club and if Crawford has taken over, maybe he has a different vision, strategy, business plan and it would maybe be good for the fans to hear the long term plans?

I don't think that is unreasonable.

Also, it has never been announced at the AGMs that there has been a change and as a shareholder the reports have never suggested such change.

St Johnston had a similar set up and confirmed to the fans when the son took over the reigns, why should we be different?

If he's not fit enough and in good enough health to have as much input then it's a private matter. Warren is CEO now so is the man responsible for the day to day running of the club. I'm not sure what more info you'd be looking for - that's all common knowledge and no one has hidden that.

Warren Hawke is not determining the selling price of the club - currently 'open to interested bidders' - and I suspect that you know this fine well. That was the level of control originally under discussion, so you're comparing apples with oranges.

The big decisions on both the enormous debt and the club ownership belong to the Raes, and specifically with Douglas so long as he's near the club. Which is entirely their right as majority shareholders. Changes in either of those issues will bring about real change, for good or bad. The tinkering of Gillian Donaldson's more shan successor on a day to day basis is frankly irrelevant compared to that level of the club's management.

Yes, we know Warren is CEO but he requires authorisation from the chairman

Does he? He's clearly the the voice of the club and the one making decisions and trying to take the club forward.

Anyway, another question for you at the Q&A.

Warren Hawke is not determining the selling price of the club - currently 'open to interested bidders' - and I suspect that you know this fine well. That was the level of control originally under discussion, so you're comparing apples with oranges.

The big decisions on both the enormous debt and the club ownership belong to the Raes, and specifically with Douglas so long as he's near the club. Which is entirely their right as majority shareholders. Changes in either of those issues will bring about real change, for good or bad. The tinkering of Gillian Donaldson's more shan successor on a day to day basis is frankly irrelevant compared to that level of the club's management.

This!!!!

None of the above claims (re: 'voice of the club'; decision-making) applies to rather significant fields like 'club ownership' or 'debt management', where Hawke has been understandably silent. Because he is operating beneath the Rae family as, err, a 'chief executive' undertaking ordinary football club decisions, rather than some sort of bizarre Regent figure for the GMFC/Golden Casket blob as irnbru suggests.

Morton's chief executive producing a meltdown statement about the club's third tier youth setup doesn't actually demonstrate the degree of boardroom change being called for.

So, Warren can spend £100k on the Turnstiles without the authorisation of the club owners? You really believe that?

I believe he's got a budget and works within that. Like any business then if there's going to be capital spend then he'll need to make a business case and have it approved. It's pretty standard stuff and not really something that needs announced.

Archived