2017/18 Signings - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

2017/18 Signings

Kilday is a fine centre half for this level. Not sure where the "winning mentality" thing has come from.

Telling the papers about how nervous you are about having to play first team football isn't a winning mentality. He should have been stripped of the captaincy there and then.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kilday, O'Ware, and Lamie are all fine. I think the question is whether there is something lacking in them which requires something else at the back. I also wouldn't say that it's a winning mentality that's missing, but whatever it is I'd say that Gunning had it.

Winning mentality/ leadership. In O'Wares case I think he needs someone to talk him through a game because he was a much better player with Gunning commanding the back line.

If we want to push on we need to improve on the likes of Kilday being a starter, albeit he's done well. But he can be a bit of a panic merchant at times.

Also with regards to Kudus. We need to improve on him aswell. Adding a goal scorer to Oliver, Thomson and Jai is important.

Proper wingers is also a must over the summer. And someone who can do a bit of dirty work in the middle of the park as there has been times this season we've needed a bit. Really hope we push on next season and the manager is backed. But even though Duffys pulled off his good signings, he's had his share of pointless ones too.

I'd keep Doyle and McDonagh in addition to those listed already. Doyle is a 7/10 most games and is clearly a good influence in the dressing room and you can't ignore squad morale as one of the reasons this team has reached a semi final and got in to the playoffs. Mcdonagh is a confidence player and has a bit of a screw loose, but on his day he is a good option to have at right back and up front, which at our level having someone who can play in multiple positions can be valuable over the course of a season.

Doyle has been one of our worst players in the past run of shite games, and also the shite run at the start of the season. Saying he is a 7/10 every game is extremely generous. He had a couple of good months after ousting McDonagh and has been average at best the rest of the time.

Kilday, O'Ware, and Lamie are all fine. I think the question is whether there is something lacking in them which requires something else at the back. I also wouldn't say that it's a winning mentality that's missing, but whatever it is I'd say that Gunning had it.

Lamie's problem is his passing is awful. Even his long punts up the pitch are awful and just puts more pressure on the team. Defensively he is a solid enough player. Good backup, but I'd want another centre-back in if O'Ware does end up getting sold.

Fine isn't good enough.

And Kilday's out injured half of the time.

"Ipswich Town, Bristol Rovers and Greenock Morton are in a race to try and sign Dorking Wanderers’ Matt Briggs according to a report.

The 21-year-old winger has been a star player for the Ryman League Division South side, helping them in their promotion battle alongside his studies at the University of Surrey."

Some clickbait-filled site someone linked to on the Facebook group. I'm going to file it under it under horseshit for now.

"Ipswich Town, Bristol Rovers and Greenock Morton are in a race to try and sign Dorking Wanderers’ Matt Briggs according to a report.

The 21-year-old winger has been a star player for the Ryman League Division South side, helping them in their promotion battle alongside his studies at the University of Surrey."

Some clickbait-filled site someone linked to on the Facebook group. I'm going to file it under it under horses*** for now.

Aye, definitely some chancer with a fake FB profile that posted that.

Thought it was worth starting a new thread rather than bundling it into last season's since that's now pushing 200 pages, it's good to have a post on the first page getting updated.

Under contract until 2018:

Derek Gaston

Jamie McGowan

Lee Kilday

Tam O'Ware

Ross Forbes

Gary Oliver

Jai Quitongo

Robert Thomson

Lewis Strapp

Scott Tiffoney

Ben Armour (January only)

Out of contract:

Bryn Halliwell

Ricki Lamie

Mark Russell

Michael Doyle

Jamie McDonagh

Michael Tidser

Andy Murdoch

Conor Pepper

Kudus Oyenuga

Jon Scullion

Jamie Lindsay (loan)

Aidan Nesbitt (loan)

Lawrence Shankland (loan)

Left the club:

Thomas Orr (released)

Luke Donnelly (loan expired)

Only including development players who've played first team games as it'll get too crowded otherwise.

Keep lamie, Doyle, Russell as squad players and bring in better quality replacements. I'd be happy with Murdoch and Tidser as our 2 starting centre mids if we brought in a big physical player similar to Kuate or wedderburn as an alternative.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Bryn Halliwell - retired, apparently

Ricki Lamie - seek better/keep

Mark Russell - keep

Michael Doyle - leave

Jamie McDonagh - keep

Michael Tidser - keep

Andy Murdoch - keep

Conor Pepper - no contract, but let him hang around and get fit. Possibly a contract further down the line if he recovers.

Kudus Oyenuga - leave, probably

Jon Scullion - 6 month deal

Jamie Lindsay (loan) - keep if possible

Aidan Nesbitt (loan) - leave

Lawrence Shankland (loan) - leave

Michael Doyle - leave

Jamie McDonagh - keep

I have some sympathy with the arguments for letting Doyle go, but keeping McDonagh ahead of him?  :lol:

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

McDonagh is only 20 I think. I think he could be a good player given another season playing regularly.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

I have some sympathy with the arguments for letting Doyle go, but keeping McDonagh ahead of him?  :lol:

Agreed. Unless we're looking at another fizzling-out of a season we can't be relying on guys like McDonagh. He had the occasional good game but we need guys who can impress over the whole season, and that ain't him. Or maybe he'll improve, he's still only 21 after all. But the point is that we should only be issuing contracts right now to those who we are confident in. We have several months to rebuild the squad, and to spend money on McDonagh, Kudus etc. is the height of folly at this point.

For me the only OOC players who should have deals in front of them right now are:

Murdoch

Tidser

Russell

Doyle (if on relatively low wage)

Lamie is 50/50 for me. Certainly turned out to be a better player than I expected, but he isn't one we just can't live without.

The rest can all go:

Halliwell

McDonagh

Pepper (sorry for him, but we've stood by him plenty)

Kudus

Scull

edit: this is assuming that neither Lindsay nor Nesbitt is available for next season. I'd have Lindsay back in a heartback. Nesbitt is a possibility too.

EOho8Pw.png

I'd like a new first choice right back.

I like McDonagh as a player and his versatility has been pretty useful I'd say. Wouldn't be first on my list to keep but guys like that are good to have in the squad, assuming his wages are on the low end of the scale. Plus I think he's a bit mental, and I like that.

Archived