2016-17 Championship Updates - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

2016-17 Championship Updates

TRVMP

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't be the only one looking at those signings and thinking I wouldn't be at all surprised if that team was relegated?

They'll still finish above us and beat us in all four derbies, but I don't see anything in there to be getting particularly excited about at the moment.

So you wouldn't be surprised if we get relegated?

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

I will spray paint "Clique Rules" on the side of St Mirren park if none of those happen.

Let's just do that anyway.

Anyway, we didn't have a full squad by this time last year (and as I recall we lost to Dumbarton in the CC with a fairly different lineup of the one that started the month of September) so it's too early to say. We did well by getting some business locked in early, not least the Oliver signing and a few renewals, but now it all rests on who else comes in.

Two weeks and two days to the first fixture...

EOho8Pw.png

Whilst I don't think we will even come close to winning the league, those odds suggest that Coral think we will finish second bottom.  Of course that could happen, but it seems odd that we are considered measurably worse than Ayr and QoS for starters.  Maybe those odds reflect the money out on the various teams so far.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Whilst I don't think we will even come close to winning the league, those odds suggest that Coral think we will finish second bottom. Of course that could happen, but it seems odd that we are considered measurably worse than Ayr and QoS for starters. Maybe those odds reflect the money out on the various teams so far.

Being 9th favourites to win the league isn't the same thing as being favourites to finish 9th, if you get my meaning.

How is it different?

For example, you might view a team as solid but predictable, able to finish mid table but with little expectation of finishing higher. There might be another team that you also expect little of, but they have a little bit of the unknown about them, so might be seen as a little bit more likely to spring a surprise. When it comes to relegation you might see the first team as more likely to survive, as you have more of an idea of what you're going to get with them.

League winner odds won't necessarily mirror relegation odds. People look for different things in both.

Archived