Squad For Next Season. - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad For Next Season.

Madton

Guest Eric M.

I've seen about ten games this season, both when in the country and some, not all of the TV matches. In none of those games have either of the above impressed (taking a 'nice touch' isn't actually the criteria of an effective central midfielder). That view is further borne out by our mediocre league record as a team and poor goals and assist records for the pair (McKee has improved in the former but doubtless Raith weren't s***ting themselves about the threat of goals from midfield today). Looking at their track record as well - Forbes flattered to deceive IMO last season; McKee has stunk the place out for years.

So yeah, only if you're wanting central midfielders who can't stop the opposition from playing, don't create enough chances and don't score enough goals, then re-sign either of those two to have us huffing and puffing towards the coveted forty point mark again in twelve months time.

The lack of an experienced ball winner in the midfield has done McKee and Forbes no favours. This has been lacking since the time of Martin Hardie and hasn't been addressed. How has McKee 'stunk the place out' exactly?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lack of an experienced ball winner in the midfield has done McKee and Forbes no favours. This has been lacking since the time of Martin Hardie and hasn't been addressed. How has McKee 'stunk the place out' exactly?

Because he's been a waste of a jersey for nearly seasons and a handful of de met performances isn't going to change that.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Why would having a defensive midfielder stop Forbes playing as if he's towing a caravan behind him? How would it make McKee's 'displays' anything better than the mediocrity he's served up for years, with piss-poor returns on goals and assists?

Once we address the defensive side of the midfield, we'd have two key first-team players for the midfield positions for next seas - new guy and Tidser. Which means that there's room in the budget for two, three players at a push in the same position for competition for places as well as cover. So... we could either re-sign mediocrities who have played their part in a 40-point campaign - but no more than that - or we could release them and take a look at some of the dozens of credible free agents who will be realistically on the market for this club in the summer, as well as looking to secure another highly effective loan signing for the position instead. It's a tough choice really.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Because he's been a waste of a jersey for nearly seasons and a handful of de met performances isn't going to change that.

He's been consistently good since coming into the side this season. And has shown that he is maybe capable of kicking on further still. As with Tidser a few years back it's beyond me that people can watch him play and not see a good player there. But each to their own.

Guest Eric M.

He's been consistently good since coming into the side this season. And has shown that he is maybe capable of kicking on further still. As with Tidser a few years back it's beyond me that people can watch him play and not see a good player there. But each to their own.

It's because some people don't believe a young player can improve or possibly base their views on watching a handful of games a season.As you say everyone has their own opinion but I think most agree that a priority is to sort out the defensive side of midfield.

I'll admit to saying McKee should have been punted long ago, but he has definitely been one of our better players in the last couple of months.  

On Tidser, I think Morton have had about 25 good games from him... the rest he has either been unfit or unimpressive.  Just have a felling that next season will be the same disaster for him as this one has been.  Unlucky for him, but I think he's done.

I'll admit to saying McKee should have been punted long ago, but he has definitely been one of our better players in the last couple of months.  

On Tidser, I think Morton have had about 25 good games from him... the rest he has either been unfit or unimpressive.  Just have a felliHe is only 26, g that next season will be the same disaster for him as this one has been.  Unlucky for him, but I think he's done.

Just 25 games, really?

Tidser played well over 100 games for us in his first spell and was a class apart IMO, especially the 2012-13 season, scoring 11 goals.

As for being done, hes only 26. Get over his injuries and he will be fine.

Just 25 games, really?

Tidser played well over 100 games for us in his first spell and was a class apart IMO, especially the 2012-13 season, scoring 11 goals.

As for being done, hes only 26. Get over his injuries and he will be fine.

Actually, I'd be inclined to agree to an extent. He was excellent for most of the 2012-13 season, but prior to that that he was fairly unremarkable; certainly flashes of potential, but very far from earth-shattering performances for the most part, so the number of properly good 90 minute showings probably IS round about the 25 mark if we were being brutally honest about it.

Don't get me wrong, I think if we can get him fit and also the team playing to his strengths then he more than has the ability to be a big player for us again at this level, but I don't think it's particularly harsh to say he has a great deal to prove either. It's worth highlighting the influence Hardie had on the team in that season and on Tidser in particular, doing the dirty work to compliment Tidser's lack of mobility and pace, so there's a pretty reasonable question mark over whether he can deliver consistantly or whether he can only do so in a certain system and with the right players around him.

AWMSC

To be fair to Dr Z, it took a lot of time and games for Tidser to win over a lot of the Morton support. 

Tidser has been unlucky with injury and I am not going to have a go at him because he tried to get back too early to help the team. He is a class apart from our current midfield and I for one desperately want to see him back anchoring our midfield. I can still remember fondly how he controlled games before DDFR sold him for less than he was offered!

Actually, I'd be inclined to agree to an extent. He was excellent for most of the 2012-13 season, but prior to that that he was fairly unremarkable; certainly flashes of potential, but very far from earth-shattering performances for the most part, so the number of properly good 90 minute showings probably IS round about the 25 mark if we were being brutally honest about it.

Don't get me wrong, I think if we can get him fit and also the team playing to his strengths then he more than has the ability to be a big player for us again at this level, but I don't think it's particularly harsh to say he has a great deal to prove either. It's worth highlighting the influence Hardie had on the team in that season and on Tidser in particular, doing the dirty work to compliment Tidser's lack of mobility and pace, so there's a pretty reasonable question mark over whether he can deliver consistantly or whether he can only do so in a certain system and with the right players around him.

Martin Hardie wasn't exactly a grafter by the time he joined us, his mobility wasn't the greatest either. He was very useful because he knew how to score important goals and he knew how to make a nuisance of himself. But he wasn't the making of Tidser that season, as Tidser showed when he wasn't there. Even that season alone, Tidser had more than 25 good games. And while he had been inconsistent at times, he must have impressed in at least the same amount of matches over the previous couple of seasons.

Don't forget that Tidser also impressed enough in a spell at Ross County that their fans would've been happy to have him back. There's no doubting that he's a very good player at this level when fit.

I expect Duffy to keep a lot of this seasons squad for next season if he's still in charge. 

I'd love to get Gasparotto signed up but he can do better than us. McKeown, Peaso, Barr, McManus, Johnstone, Samuel, and McMullan will all be away. I doubt Miller and Lamie will get new contracts and I think we can do better than Andy McNeil as our back-up goalkeeper.

I'd like to keep McKee (never thought I'd find myself saying that), Forbes, McCluskey, Pepper, and O'Ware. Not too fussed about Kilday, and for his own benefit Scullion is better off at another club that will give him a chance.

If it's true that we've got Jon Routledge signed up then he'd be perfect to play in behind 2 cm's.

Gaston

Pepper/New New Gasparotto? Russell

Routledge

New Forbes Tidser McCluskey

New

We'll be after a new strike force for next season as well. Hopefully we can get a couple of loans in and maybe a bit of experience up front too. 

Duffy did touch on "needing better players" in his post-match interview. I hope that means he's not afraid to get rid of some of his favourites. He deserves credit for placing faith in guys like Kilday, Lamie, McCluskey etc this season when many of us wrote them off - but I'd hope even he realises the majority of them have hit their ceiling of average Championship player. I'd loved to be proved wrong again, but I don't feel it's a risk worth taking.

He compiled a team to win League 1 in just over a month, aided albeit by January signings, and added to it to make us a reasonable Championship outfit. I'm willing to let him have another go this summer forming in a team good enough for the playoffs.

We have some players under long term (for our level) contracts. The board hasn't really been reluctant to sanction such deals, although admittedly they do tend to do it only for 'marquee' signings (Tidser, Peaso, Gaston... Cham)

EOho8Pw.png

Archived