Thread About Ex Player - Page 83 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

That won't happen.

It's not the manager that's the problem, they are changing the set up, downsizing & trying to bring thru more youth.

Murray is not a quick fix appointment. He'll have a year to get settled, they will have known the can't challenge Rangers or Hibs to go up.

These things take time and Murray will gradually turn it round.

Two posts in a row for HeidTheBaw that I agree with. Murray wasn't brought in to get them straight back up. This is a consolidation season. They know he's used to working with limited resources - that's why he's there. Certainly they'd have been hopeful of a playoff spot but I doubt that was his aim anymore than it was ours.

EOho8Pw.png

I think the non cynical fan would applaud appointing Miller to the coaching staff as a very good move. He's got a lot of experience and much of that has been earned at big clubs.

Patchy career as manager, but he's been coaching for about 30 years.

Murray maybe needs a bit of experience on the training field, Miller has probably made a few bob already over the years and is looking for something to keep him busy in football - this appointment likely suits all parties.

Yeah, that's not undermining Murray at all. If anything it's a vote of confidence in him.

They've looked at their horrendous start to the season - which even accounting for this being a consolidation season has been far worse than expected - and even this early have realised that something has to change. They've asked for his assistant to go in favour of a more experienced one in the hope this turns things round. That's a vote of confidence in him, saying they still believe he is the right man but needs someone else to help him along. They did the same thing in Danny Lennon's first season in charge. Had they not been convinced that Murray's still the best choice, they'd have waited another few weeks and sacked the pair of them at the same time.

Incidentally, Dumbarton's record under Murray was massively superior without Spalding against his time there with Spalding. Let's hope that the problem for Murray is not having Jack Ross as his assistant rather than having Mark Spalding as his assistant regardless of who takes over instead: we don't want their form picking up just now.

All that said, I hope Miller is just being brought in to replace him in case they do sack him in a month or so: they'll be going down two years running if he ends up in charge.

Edited by dunning1874

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Speaking to a St Mirren fan today, he said that Miller has been brought in as a sort of Technical Director. Apparently if he'd been given the title Assistant Manager, it would have meant Spalding would have been due a bigger payment. Since they are still paying off Tommy Craig & Gary Teale they didn't want the additional expense.

How true that is, is debatable since it would suggest Spalding was made redundant.

Coincidentally that was how Miller had the title player/coach at Cappielow, since Benny Rooney had been made redundant. Of course he was Manager in all but name, the title being restored when Tommy McLean took over.

I'd love to have you both for dinner

• 3 weeks later...

David MacGregor doing a skydive!?

He should just ask people to sponsor him £10 for every bone he breaks in the attempt.

Yorkhill could make a fortune.

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

David MacGregor doing a skydive!?

He should just ask people to sponsor him £10 for every bone he breaks in the attempt.

Yorkhill could make a fortune.

Or "hairline fractures" in the attempt.

Good luck to Davie though.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• 2 weeks later...

They will play Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale in the next round after they beat Huntly tonight. Cracking tie for both teams!

Didn't realise that, quite an incentive for both of them. Hope the winner gets a bumper tie in the fifth round. 

• Downvote 1

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Declan McManus must be a prime candidate for going out on loan in January. Looks like he is now 5th choice striker at Fleetwood, not even making it onto the bench recently. Move has been a bit of a disaster for him -  star player to can't make the match-day squad must be tough to take.

With Peaso potentially coming back for us (although I fear he is done), we maybe have sufficient cover (if Samuel stays). I'd certainly be keeping an eye on the situation with Dec...

Declan McManus must be a prime candidate for going out on loan in January. Looks like he is now 5th choice striker at Fleetwood, not even making it onto the bench recently. Move has been a bit of a disaster for him -  star player to can't make the match-day squad must be tough to take.

With Peaso potentially coming back for us (although I fear he is done), we maybe have sufficient cover (if Samuel stays). I'd certainly be keeping an eye on the situation with Dec...

If he can't make the squad, there must be a reason for that.  Maybe he's not actually quite as good as people thought.  Did he not struggle at our level before?  If we can keep Denny and Alex and also have back up from Peaso , not forgetting Stef, we might involve another potential McMenamin situation.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

If he can't make the squad, there must be a reason for that. Maybe he's not actually quite as good as people thought. Did he not struggle at our level before? If we can keep Denny and Alex and also have back up from Peaso , not forgetting Stef, we might involve another potential McMenamin situation.

His back to goal game needs some work. I'd guess that might be the reason why he hasn't had much of an opportunity down there, assuming it's footballing reasons. There were certainly games with us that he struggled to get involved in, but at the same time always had that ability to score an important goal. I'm surprised his chances have been so limited, but maybe not shocked that his style of pay doesn't suit every team.