Thread About Ex Player - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Presumably in one of the state leagues, not the A-League?

You could have thought that about Erik Paartalu who is one of the top players now in the A-League and in the national squad!

Monti is a better footballer than him...

• Downvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

But wait??? I keep hearing that Scottish Football is now at the same level as the League of Ireland. Surely a guy that couldn't cut it in the second tier in Scotland wouldn't be such a big player for one of those teams?

I do agree with your point, but how anyone could say Greacen "couldn't" cut it in the 1st Division after watching some of the diddys we have at the back now is beyond me. The quote about him being a "tremendous leader" alone is something that couldn't be said about a single member of our squad.

As for McGurn, I thought he got a bit of a raw deal with us to be honest, we haven't had a keeper close to being as good as him since. Not a world-beater, for sure, but he's much better than the likes of Lee Robinson, Dominic Cervi and Colin Stewart.

AWMSC

• 2 weeks later...
I do agree with your point, but how anyone could say Greacen "couldn't" cut it in the 1st Division after watching some of the diddys we have at the back now is beyond me. The quote about him being a "tremendous leader" alone is something that couldn't be said about a single member of our squad.

Greacen wasn't a tremendous leader though. It's a conveniently forgotten fact that in Greacen's last full season playing for the club, we conceded 65 goals - the highest total of any side in Scotland. As a centre-half in that line-up, week in week out, and as an ex (possibly still at that time) captain: what leadership was shown? He was as responsible as anyone in that squad for those failings, including chancers like Shimmin.

The loss of McCaffrey's influence in our back-line this season suggests how true defensive leaders operate. Far, far less to do with showy diving headers and much more about communication and organisation. McCaffrey/Smyth represented a major step forward, which showed in last season's much more respectable defensive record.

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Big Erik has a game this weekend in Oz against former St Mirrens guys - Ian Ferguson and Billy Mehmet.

Cmon ye Ton former player!

Brisbane scored twice in the last few minutes to win it 2-1. Well done Erik!

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man"

morton4rp5.png

Think I'll take a wee trip along to Meadow Park on Wednesday and see them play Pollok... be interesting to see if Carlo Monti stands out at junior level.

It was raining and cold so didn't go, finished 2-1 to Medda. I see on the Medda site that they've loaned out Paddy Flannery to Kilbirnie Ladeside... his one goal this season showing his quality! :lol:

Greacen wasn't a tremendous leader though. It's a conveniently forgotten fact that in Greacen's last full season playing for the club, we conceded 65 goals - the highest total of any side in Scotland. As a centre-half in that line-up, week in week out, and as an ex (possibly still at that time) captain: what leadership was shown? He was as responsible as anyone in that squad for those failings, including chancers like Shimmin.

The loss of McCaffrey's influence in our back-line this season suggests how true defensive leaders operate. Far, far less to do with showy diving headers and much more about communication and organisation. McCaffrey/Smyth represented a major step forward, which showed in last season's much more respectable defensive record.

Greacen also played in a defence which only conceeded 18 goals in 24 matches the previous season (40 in total that season).

I agree he wasn't a leader in his time with us though. I don't think the captain's armband ever really helped his performances. If you can get him playing well he'll do a tremendous job for you. He was outstanding that season, and we actually rejected a bid from Dundee that summer. I think Greacen would have benefited from playing alongside McCaffrey, but his wages were too high and Moore wanted rid!