Thread About Ex Player - Page 19 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

LargsTon, Can you tell me why you think McAlister was overrated, or more to the point, how can a player be overrated if the overwhelming opinion of him seems to be that he is average at best? To say that it's a fact that he's the most overrated players you've ever seen in a Morton jersey clearly shows that you have no understanding of the word fact. There were a few who got carried away when he was younger and had some really promising performances, and he didn't turn out to be the player that many hoped he would be, but that doesn't mean that he isn't a solid player at this level.

IMO he is a player who has the physical attibutes to be a very good player at this level, but lacks a good footballing brain. His movement, composure and decision making on the park often let him down. But he always did a decent job for us, hence why an SPL team picked him up.

As for the most overrated player to play in a Morton jersey, I think you're praise of Jamie Stevenson has that covered :rolleyes:

:lol:

Jamie Stevenson wasn't even half the player that Chris Millar was for us, nevermind Lindberg. Talent is about more than playing a few nice passes at second division level.

I don't have the time or energy to go over the McAlister debate again nor am I going to defend my use of the word fact.

As for Stevenson, it was his attitude that was the problem. It was nothing to do with his ability. However, I do concede I cringe a bit looking back at that comment. :blush:

That statements a bit rich coming from you, a man who makes a point of berrating a current player.

Berrating? I just think he should've been punted a long time ago and I've no time for guys that haven't been fully commited to the club over the years. Again, though, my reasons are old hat and I'm not going over it in any detail again. :rolleyes:

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I don't have the time or energy to go over the McAlister debate again nor am I going to defend my use of the word fact.

As for Stevenson, it was his attitude that was the problem. It was nothing to do with his ability. However, I do concede I cringe a bit looking back at that comment. :blush:

Berrating? I just think he should've been punted a long time ago and I've no time for guys that haven't been fully commited to the club over the years. Again, though, my reasons are old hat and I'm not going over it in any detail again. :rolleyes:

10 years service suggests otherwise.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Disagree. Some sadsacks who have never kicked a ball in their heavy wrestling life, give an honest athlete dog's abuse from their wankstained, dingy room.

sad fux

Hypocritical pish.

So let me guess: you have never criticised a Morton player in all your years watching them, or does that not count because you have a stack of professional football titles to 'justify' your criticism?

With that sort of attitude it's a wonder we don't just close forums like this and let Craig Burley tell us what to think. After all, he was an honest athlete: he'll know best.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

10 years service suggests otherwise.

Yes: I bet it grates every time Dougie transfers money into his account.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

While I accept that the novelty/exotic/whatever you want to call it factor that comes with foreign players leads some fans to think of them more fondly, I'd say the reason Bachirou is thought of far more fondly than Monti is just that he was a far better player. Most people happily accepted that Bachirou had performed to standard which indicated he could play at a higher level, so everyone understood his decision to leave and look for a bigger club. I didn't think Monti was as bad as a lot of people made him out to be - christ, I'd have had him last season ahead of Forsyth, Young or McGeough, and we'd have scored more penalties - but he was still a mediocre player in a poor team who got a bit arrogant and thought he could do better than Morton, unlike Bachirou who genuinely was a standout last season, albeit still in a poor team, and therefore had a real basis for believing he could do better.

As for LargsTON's comments on Stevenson, most of us probably made a ridiculous comment about a player who looked great in the Second Division and was then found out in the First. That applies to pretty much everyone we had in the Second Division winning team who wasn't already thought of as a bit s***e (Finlayson, Harding) other than Millar.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

As for LargsTON's comments on Stevenson, most of us probably made a ridiculous comment about a player who looked great in the Second Division and was then found out in the First. That applies to pretty much everyone we had in the Second Division winning team who wasn't already thought of as a bit s***e (Finlayson, Harding) other than Millar.

I think I even said something insanely optimistic about harding not long after he joined us. That wasn't my point though, it was more that some people get it into their mind that someone is overrated, probably due to a small number of optimistic comments; but forever more that player will be overrated to them.

Edited by SpoonTon

Then why has no-one offered him an acceptable deal?

Because if they had, he'd have signed it: having considered it an acceptable deal.

:wacko: :1eye:

So either Jim's fanboys can pretend he's been hanging off all summer waiting on the Sevco situation sorting itself out, or they can draw the conclusion many of us held years ago: that he was an over-rated player lacking an end-product.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him ultimately washing up at Peterhead along with the rest of our rejects.

closeenough.png

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Because if they had, he'd have signed it: having considered it an acceptable deal.

:wacko: :1eye:

So either Jim's fanboys can pretend he's been hanging off all summer waiting on the Sevco situation sorting itself out, or they can draw the conclusion many of us held years ago: that he was an over-rated player lacking an end-product.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him ultimately washing up at Peterhead along with the rest of our rejects.

Signs for Dundee and stays as an SPL player. So much for "award-winning fact-based analysis"

This isn't aimed at you, but the flip side of that is that anyone who isn't entirely positive about an ex-player is a **** and not a real Morton fan.

There was nothing outrageously harsh on McAlister here, and it's fair to say that in his time with us in the First Division he was average at best, having been excellent in the Second Division. You can say he gave 100% all the time (incidentally not a statement I'd agree with on his final season when he knew he'd be gone at the end of it) but that alone doesn't make a player good enough; think that's what most people were getting at bringing Finlayson into it, as I'm sure no one actually thinks they're the same standard of player even if someone said so for hyperbole. We've undoubtedly got ourselves a better player now in O'Brien.

I agree with the bit on bold entirely as well. I guess my point is that the extremes are a bit ridiculous. Let's face it, we haven't lost an exceptional player in a long time, nor have we lost anyone who has been such a terrible individual meriting a frothing rage every time their name comes up. It's one thing having an opinion, another having to take every opportunity to have a pop as some (a small handful, right enough) do. I just don't really see the point.

The references to Stevenson elsewhere in the thread are a case in point. At the time, it did look as if we had a pretty special, talented player on our hands, the fact that it didn't work out shouldn't cloud the fact that he was, and I'd imagine still is, a very able player, talent-wise. Particularly useful? Ultimately not, I suppose, but I hate how people seem to refuse to acknowledge any positives and exagerate any flaws about a player just because they don't like him. Again, it's all about opinions but it generally seems to be the people who never bother to think their opinions through who are most vociferous in forcing them on people. Likewise, the bit in italics sums that one up. Is it really so hard for people to acknowledge that for all his faults, there was still a few positives there?

That's life, I suppose.

Disagree. Some sadsacks who have never kicked a ball in their heavy wrestling life, give an honest athlete dog's abuse from their wankstained, dingy room.

sad fux

:rolleyes: Aye, and you're ****in Messi and Ronaldo into one, aren't you? Ridiculous comment.

Edited by EanieMeany

AWMSC

Wondered how the ex-Morton players did today in the League Cup...

Arbroath 1 Stirling Albion 1

Kieran McAnespie started for Stirling. Arbroath have a guy called David Banjo. :lol:

Dumbarton 2 Albion Rovers 0

Andy Graham and ex-trialist Alan Lithgow started for Dumbarton, Ross Forsyth didn't get off the bench.

Ex-youth player Gary Phillips started for Albion Rovers. Matt McGinley didn't get of the bench.

Falkirk 2 Elgin City 0

Chris Smith came on as a sub for Falkirk.

Forfar Athletic 0 Partick Thistle 2

Chris Templeman started for Forfar.

Hamilton Academical 2 Annan Athletic 0

Kevin Cuthbert started for Hamilton.

Queen of the South 5 Alloa Athletic 2

Lee Robinson, Ryan McGuffie, Derek Young and Derek Lyle started for Queens.

Ryan Harding, Darren Young (booked) and Graeme Holmes started for Alloa.

Queen's Park 3 Airdrie United 2

Paul di Giacomo started for Airdrie.

Raith Rovers 4 Berwick Rangers 3

David McGurn, ex-trialist Eddie Malone and Brian Graham (scored twice) started for Raith.

Stenhousemuir 4 Brechin City (who took Sevco to extra time) 0

Ex-trialist Bryan Hodge started for Stenhousemuir. Stewart Kean (scored) came off the bench.

Stranraer 0 Livingston 8

Chris Aitken started for Stranraer.

Kevin McCann (scored) and Iain Russell (scored twice) started for Livingston.

Edited by ThornTON

Wondered how the ex-Morton players did today in the League Cup...

Arbroath 1 Stirling Albion 1

Kieran McAnespie started for Stirling. Arbroath have a guy called David Banjo. :lol:

Dumbarton 2 Albion Rovers 0

Andy Graham and ex-trialist Alan Lithgow started for Dumbarton, Ross Forsyth didn't get off the bench.

Ex-youth player Gary Phillips started for Albion Rovers. Matt McGinley didn't get of the bench.

Falkirk 2 Elgin City 0

Chris Smith came on as a sub for Falkirk.

Forfar Athletic 0 Partick Thistle 2

Marc McCulloch and Chris Templeman started for Forfar.

Hamilton Academical 2 Annan Athletic 0

Kevin Cuthbert started for Hamilton.

Queen of the South 5 Alloa Athletic 2

Lee Robinson, Ryan McGuffie, Derek Young and Derek Lyle started for Queens.

Ryan Harding, Darren Young (booked) and Graeme Holmes started for Alloa.

Queen's Park 3 Airdrie United 2

Paul di Giacomo started for Airdrie.

Raith Rovers 4 Berwick Rangers 3

David McGurn, ex-trialist Eddie Malone and Brian Graham (scored twice) started for Raith.

Stenhousemuir 4 Brechin City (who took Sevco to extra time) 0

Ex-trialist Bryan Hodge started for Stenhousemuir. Stewart Kean (scored) came off the bench.

Stranraer 0 Livingston 8

Chris Aitken started for Stranraer.

Kevin McCann (scored) and Iain Russell (scored twice) started for Livingston.

forfar wrong

they have mark mcculloch, our ex player marc mcculloch is with stirling albion

MON EH TON!

forfar wrong

they have mark mcculloch, our ex player marc mcculloch is with stirling albion

No wonder folk get confused between the pair, as Mark is now playing as a fullback (was a midfielder at Ross County back when we signed the wrong one) to confuse things even more!

No wonder folk get confused between the pair, as Mark is now playing as a fullback (was a midfielder at Ross County back when we signed the wrong one) to confuse things even more!

im confused

mark mcculloch plays for forfar

marc mcculloch plays for stirling albion

MON EH TON!