Thread About Ex Player - Page 18 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

I edited to add in the response to you, rather than double post. ;)

I know how to spell his name, given I wrote this.

I always wondered what kind of boring **** does that kind of thing.

Anyway, on McAlister: I must confess I'm not a fan, but I always find it quite sad how many of our supporters insist on having cheap shots every time an ex-players name is mentioned. Doesn't matter if the player is good, bad, or indifferent, it seems no-one is ever allowed to leave Morton on reasonable terms.

AWMSC

I always wondered what kind of boring **** does that kind of thing.

Anyway, on McAlister: I must confess I'm not a fan, but I always find it quite sad how many of our supporters insist on having cheap shots every time an ex-players name is mentioned. Doesn't matter if the player is good, bad, or indifferent, it seems no-one is ever allowed to leave Morton on reasonable terms.

This isn't aimed at you, but the flip side of that is that anyone who isn't entirely positive about an ex-player is a **** and not a real Morton fan.

There was nothing outrageously harsh on McAlister here, and it's fair to say that in his time with us in the First Division he was average at best, having been excellent in the Second Division. You can say he gave 100% all the time (incidentally not a statement I'd agree with on his final season when he knew he'd be gone at the end of it) but that alone doesn't make a player good enough; think that's what most people were getting at bringing Finlayson into it, as I'm sure no one actually thinks they're the same standard of player even if someone said so for hyperbole. We've undoubtedly got ourselves a better player now in O'Brien.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

This isn't aimed at you, but the flip side of that is that anyone who isn't entirely positive about an ex-player is a **** and not a real Morton fan.

There was nothing outrageously harsh on McAlister here, and it's fair to say that in his time with us in the First Division he was average at best, having been excellent in the Second Division. You can say he gave 100% all the time (incidentally not a statement I'd agree with on his final season when he knew he'd be gone at the end of it) but that alone doesn't make a player good enough; think that's what most people were getting at bringing Finlayson into it, as I'm sure no one actually thinks they're the same standard of player even if someone said so for hyperbole. We've undoubtedly got ourselves a better player now in O'Brien.

Disagree. Some sadsacks who have never kicked a ball in their heavy wrestling life, give an honest athlete dog's abuse from their wankstained, dingy room.

sad fux

Disagree. Some sadsacks who have never kicked a ball in their heavy wrestling life, give an honest athlete dog's abuse from their wankstained, dingy room.

sad fux

I tell you what gets right on my tits.

A lot of fans still don't give O'Brien the time of day despite the fact he's contributed more to Morton already than wet-dream McAlister did in his whole time with us. I never hated Jim but I stand by the fact he's the most over-rated player I've ever seen in a Morton jersey. No harm to him but I was doing cartwheels when he left.

There's some trumpet on P&B just now who's started a thread esp to criticise him. Despite him chipping in with 10 assists and what, 8 goals from left mid/wing last season?

I can't think of a more productive wide player in the league.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

A lot of fans still don't give O'Brien the time of day despite the fact he's contributed more to Morton already than wet-dream McAlister did in his whole time with us. I never hated Jim but I stand by the fact he's the most over-rated player I've ever seen in a Morton jersey. No harm to him but I was doing cartwheels when he left.

There's some trumpet on P&B just now who's started a thread esp to criticise him. Despite him chipping in with 10 assists and what, 8 goals from left mid/wing last season?

To be fair about the thread on P&B, he's been absolutely slaughtered by every other Morton fan to a man, which is quite reassuring.

Regarding McAlister, there's a number of factors as to why folk's views are often so negative about him. There have been so few relatively local boys who came through the ranks that there were naturally high hopes for him and to see him to finally move onto bigger and better things in the SPL with Hamilton wasn't what would've been hoped for given the majority of us would consider them a smaller club to Morton albeit playing at a higher level. To see them relegated and now seemingly looking like they'll be closer to the bottom than the top this season with him out of work will always attract a few sniggers. Being photographed in the Sun with a Rangers shirt in the run up to their tie with Unirea was in my opinion disrespectful to his then employers, Morton and ill advised at best, regardless of who he supports.

Many of us have been guilty of slating former players, Carlo Monti in particular got a hard time by myself amongst others last summer because of his misfortune after rejecting Moore's contract offer. Don't necessarily agree with EanieMeany about not being allowed to leave on good terms- I wonder how well the likes of Monti would've been looked upon on knocking back a contract offer and not finding work had they been black and French?

To be fair about the thread on P&B, he's been absolutely slaughtered by every other Morton fan to a man, which is quite reassuring.

Regarding McAlister, there's a number of factors as to why folk's views are often so negative about him. There have been so few relatively local boys who came through the ranks that there were naturally high hopes for him and to see him to finally move onto bigger and better things in the SPL with Hamilton wasn't what would've been hoped for given the majority of us would consider them a smaller club to Morton albeit playing at a higher level. To see them relegated and now seemingly looking like they'll be closer to the bottom than the top this season with him out of work will always attract a few sniggers. Being photographed in the Sun with a Rangers shirt in the run up to their tie with Unirea was in my opinion disrespectful to his then employers, Morton and ill advised at best, regardless of who he supports.

Many of us have been guilty of slating former players, Carlo Monti in particular got a hard time by myself amongst others last summer because of his misfortune after rejecting Moore's contract offer. Don't necessarily agree with EanieMeany about not being allowed to leave on good terms- I wonder how well the likes of Monti would've been looked upon on knocking back a contract offer and not finding work had they been black and French?

and therein lies the bulls*** that you don't just come out and say. you and thornton are a right pair aint ya? i'm ****ing certain that morton fans are smarter than to love or hate a player just cos he's black or whatever. always a snidey wee undertone in your posts just as there are in salty's. you're really acting like a ****in bellend here. i know you think yer a good morton man cos you travel about getting blitzed etc but it seems there's a snidey racist tone to your opinions. If not racist yer certainly trying to wind people up. why? stop being a ****ing caricature of a dick, toby. the daily mail is not an arbiter of what's right and wrong and if that's really your level i feel sorry for you. STOP BEING A PUBLICITY HUNGRY SACK.

and therein lies the bulls*** that you don't just come out and say. you and thornton are a right pair aint ya? i'm ****ing certain that morton fans are smarter than to love or hate a player just cos he's black or whatever. always a snidey wee undertone in your posts just as there are in salty's. you're really acting like a ****in bellend here. i know you think yer a good morton man cos you travel about getting blitzed etc but it seems there's a snidey racist tone to your opinions. If not racist yer certainly trying to wind people up. why? stop being a ****ing caricature of a dick, toby. the daily mail is not an arbiter of what's right and wrong and if that's really your level i feel sorry for you. STOP BEING A PUBLICITY HUNGRY SACK.

I'm a fan of Bachirou, and appreciate his contribution to the club in his two years here- but he did the exact same as Carlo Monti who I'd suggest the majority of our support don't have a great deal of time for- do you disagree? He was also wrongly imo voted player of the year almost unanimously ahead of David O'Brien last season.

Why is a foreign player treated differently to a Scottish player? Did he contribute that much more than Monti? Is it Monti's Celtic connections? Is he just a nicer bloke than Monti? I can't understand why it's okay for a wee guy from France to get ambitions above his station but not for a wee guy from Glasgow.

Now, I've made approximately 3600 other posts on here- where's the racist undertones in all of them? Or are you just imagining things? Of course there's snide digs in my posts- it's a message board and folk noise up others on message boards. I've wound folk up for years and been wound up myself.

Couple of other things- I go to Morton games because it's my hobby. Getting a badge of honour for attending xx games from forza ton wouldn't appear on a CV, and I've never read the Daily Mail in my life- strictly a Scottish red top man. You're probably unlikely to have seen me blitzed at a game in around 4 years, but don't let that get in the way of a good rant.

Why is a foreign player treated differently to a Scottish player? Did he contribute that much more than Monti? Is it Monti's Celtic connections? Is he just a nicer bloke than Monti? I can't understand why it's okay for a wee guy from France to get ambitions above his station but not for a wee guy from Glasgow.

Yes, Fred was a good player for Morton, definitely one of the top 3 players last season. Often looked like the only player that was trying at times..

I personally didn't rate Monti at all.. rarely played a decent game for Morton. Slow, lazy looking, lacked effort.. thought he was much better than he actually was.

difference between monti and fred. Monti was relatively local and didnt play in a way in any game that i saw him in that suggested he was either a cut above the rest or gave anything that suggested he was giving anything other than he needed. Sorry to see him being unfortunately dealt ith, due to a plonker agent. Hope he does well.

Wee Fred came here, admittedly witha bit of pedigree from a large club, like Carlo, but at a young age to a different culture. After a slow start, became a favourite, as a result of his style and also his undoubted talent. He also made a lot of friends locally. I reckon thats why he became a cult figure. Couldv been welsh, irish, shetlander.

The fred day was about a bit more than that. I reckon it was also ton fans getting behind a fans initiative and as a wee dig at the club and also as we have had little to celebrate in a while!!

The affection for Fred is shown when it was suggested he may have gone to "them" and many were of the opinion that, well all the best wee man. Simiilar for a while to the sentiment towards McGowan.

Wee Fred was a type of talent we havent had in many years. Nowt to do with his colour or nationality.

Sometimes POTY awards arent most consistent player awards, they are about personality andangaging with fans.

Reminds me of MISC players POTY years ago. We didnt do too well. Obvious choice, our best player, top scorer and assist maker didnt get it which caused a minor stooshy, the goaly got it by a landslide. Personality and appreciation of saving us from a number of houndings!

Hope Fred does well and also Monti.

I'm a fan of Bachirou, and appreciate his contribution to the club in his two years here- but he did the exact same as Carlo Monti who I'd suggest the majority of our support don't have a great deal of time for- do you disagree? He was also wrongly imo voted player of the year almost unanimously ahead of David O'Brien last season.

Now, I've made approximately 3600 other posts on here- where's the racist undertones in all of them? Or are you just imagining things? Of course there's snide digs in my posts- it's a message board and folk noise up others on message boards. I've wound folk up for years and been wound up myself.

Couple of other things- I go to Morton games because it's my hobby. Getting a badge of honour for attending xx games from forza ton wouldn't appear on a CV, and I've never read the Daily Mail in my life- strictly a Scottish red top man. You're probably unlikely to have seen me blitzed at a game in around 4 years, but don't let that get in the way of a good rant.

You lost me at carlo monti tbh

When that was his only quality it explains why he's scratching about in the depths of Hell to try and find a club willing to accept "runs about like a headless chicken" as a prime selling point.

Ideal for Sevco after watching how s***e they were going forward, he'll fit in perfectly!

Might not be a world beater but as said above he's given his all to the game since he was a youngster and (as far as I'm aware) remains a dedicated pro to this day. Probably deserves a wee break so I hope he get's fixed up, as they say.

Although Jim faded towards the end of his time with us he gave really good service to the club and always gave 100%.

He does lack a bit of composure at times but he is a decent player as some of his reviews for Hamilton in the SPL showed.

I hope he finds a new club soon and at a decent level.

I side firmly with those who wouldn't have him back, not now, but I think some of the criticism for a guy who was never a waster is unfair.

LargsTon, Can you tell me why you think McAlister was overrated, or more to the point, how can a player be overrated if the overwhelming opinion of him seems to be that he is average at best? To say that it's a fact that he's the most overrated players you've ever seen in a Morton jersey clearly shows that you have no understanding of the word fact. There were a few who got carried away when he was younger and had some really promising performances, and he didn't turn out to be the player that many hoped he would be, but that doesn't mean that he isn't a solid player at this level.

IMO he is a player who has the physical attibutes to be a very good player at this level, but lacks a good footballing brain. His movement, composure and decision making on the park often let him down. But he always did a decent job for us, hence why an SPL team picked him up.

As for the most overrated player to play in a Morton jersey, I think you're praise of Jamie Stevenson has that covered :rolleyes:

f****y. I've said it before and will say it again, Jamie is the best and most gifted player I've seen at Cappielow since Janne Lindberg and I would hate to see him go. Please stay, Jamie.

:lol:

Jamie Stevenson wasn't even half the player that Chris Millar was for us, nevermind Lindberg. Talent is about more than playing a few nice passes at second division level.

That statements a bit rich coming from you, a man who makes a point of berrating a current player.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

As for the most overrated player to play in a Morton jersey, I think you're praise of Jamie Stevenson has that covered :rolleyes: :lol:

QUOTE(LargsTON @ Sep 3 2007, 11:44 AM) *

f****y. I've said it before and will say it again, Jamie is the best and most gifted player I've seen at Cappielow since Janne Lindberg and I would hate to see him go. Please stay, Jamie.

Jamie Stevenson wasn't even half the player that Chris Millar was for us, nevermind Lindberg. Talent is about more than playing a few nice passes at second division level.

Ooft. Just made the 5-year statutory limitation period for the quoting of old, misguided and (for the original poster, hopefully long forgotten) posts by 1 month!

Edited by SramTon

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!