Thread About Ex Player - Page 17 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Whilst I can't disagree factually with much that has been said about Jim, I do think that he was badly mistreated by successive managers.

As a right-sided player who had no crossing talent, he was patently unsuited to the left-winger/left-wing-back role with which he ended up being straddled for almost his entire Morton career.

It was his misfortune that his energy and workrate partly compensated for his lack of ability in the role and resulted him what should have been a temporary "patch" becoming a permanent solution.

He clearly had potential in his late-teens and, had he been properly nurtered (or been allowed to escape when Motherwell made their move), may have made the grade.

I side firmly with those who wouldn't have him back, not now, but I think some of the criticism for a guy who was never a waster is unfair.

I agree entirely. I reckon the said 'managers' were about as good at coaching as Jimbo was as a left winger.

On the McAlister front i wasn't being nasty just honest and agree that if we had allowed him to move on he may have developed into a better player given some of the wasters we had in charge.

The decision to allow that team who were pretty unconvincing for much of the 2nd div to go into the first and it basically stalled our progression.

Anyway if Sevco are spending £5-7k a week on the likes of Black and Shiel then they will be looking at better quality to overcome the likes of Elgin.

McAlister was last on trial at a decent League One club. He's clearly still looking for something higher, and better paying, than SFL1. So why anyone would try to say he's no good on the basis that he hasn't signed for an SFL1 club makes no sense whatsoever.

How about we wait to see where he ends up, and then make a judgement on where his career is headed :rolleyes:

And saying Finlayson was as good as McAlister for us is a bit like those who said that Stevenson was a better player than Millar :lol:

Edited by SpoonTon

agree that i would not have him back but will never take cheap shots @ Jim who served us really well and was extremely unlucky that he was not able to develop properly under a series of managers. His last season, Irons/Grady, he was pushed about and also played with some right dross, ie simmonds etc, He scored a crucial winner v thistle in the last minute too.

Always thought, if he was taken on and developed properly, he couldve been a pretty decent fullback. Mibby box to box midfielder too.

Good luck to him whatever he does. For the one(s) who take pleasure from publicly laughing at former players and their careers, i give you an irvine welsh quote:

" always remember that those who call you a one trick pony are often no trick ponies themselves."

Some shocking pish being spoken here. Jim was a great servant to our club and is a really decent player.

Yes.

Well doesn't he just sound marvellous? Let's get him back!

As chrissiboi said earlier, Kevin Finlayson meets this description as well. Hence why he was last seen working as a tarrier for Glasgow City Council...

EDIT: The inevitable report on the SFL website has come through. Be interesting to see what his record has been since that day at Cliftonhill, but he went almost a whole season last year without injury.

[shakes head]

Aye, whatever. Away and talk pish about wrestling or oh so ironically bad horror movies. Never anything good to say about anyone.

This x2

I agree entirely. I reckon the said 'managers' were about as good at coaching as Jimbo was as a left winger.

**** up ya useless ****.

On the McAlister front i wasn't being nasty just honest and agree that if we had allowed him to move on he may have developed into a better player given some of the wasters we had in charge.

The decision to allow that team who were pretty unconvincing for much of the 2nd div to go into the first and it basically stalled our progression.

Anyway if Sevco are spending £5-7k a week on the likes of Black and Shiel then they will be looking at better quality to overcome the likes of Elgin.

Caution, this vehicle is reversing.

...oh aye and referring to players we have just signed by a nickname is cringeworthy......

Rusty??? Call him Rutkewicz please.

Thats all

This x10

Along the track the train came puffin, Morton 1 Celtic nuffin.

Yes.

[shakes head]

This x2

**** up ya useless ****.

Caution, this vehicle is reversing.

This x10

Yes the guy had potential looked a prospect but never fulfilled it when he was with us, Millar being one of the only memorable successes I know Gardyne went on to the SPL but it wasn't as if he was here for long.

Wasn't backtracking lot of hype surrounded him and he was one of those exempt from criticism but he was too inconsistent and we should have let him move to Motherwell or whoever put a bid in for him.

Dear God, have they added McGeouch to Graham and Forsyth?

Maybe they are trying to update their 1995/96 effort of 11 points!

Think he was a trialist, can't see him getting a deal after that result.

Along the track the train came puffin, Morton 1 Celtic nuffin.

...oh aye and referring to players we have just signed by a nickname is cringeworthy......

Thats all

It's "Rusty Witch".

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

A bit late now, but still a funny picture...

hahaha.jpg

:lol:

Thats all

I prefer to call him Rutkiewicz... :rolleyes:

That's all!

Edited by ThornTON

agree that i would not have him back but will never take cheap shots @ Jim who served us really well and was extremely unlucky that he was not able to develop properly under a series of managers. His last season, Irons/Grady, he was pushed about and also played with some right dross, ie simmonds etc, He scored a crucial winner v thistle in the last minute too.

Always thought, if he was taken on and developed properly, he couldve been a pretty decent fullback. Mibby box to box midfielder too.

Good luck to him whatever he does. For the one(s) who take pleasure from publicly laughing at former players and their careers, i give you an irvine welsh quote:

" always remember that those who call you a one trick pony are often no trick ponies themselves."

I find this irritating too. They are seen as fair game if they find themselves playing at a lower level (which is inevitable for all players) You can always rely on the smug, overused 'found his level' comment from Thornton and VT

We attract the type of players we can afford as a lower level first Division outfit. Mostly they are not going to be setting the heather alight at SPL level. We should give them some credit for wearing the real hoops and generally doing their best for us.

I wont even get into how some folk speak about our current players <_>

Show Racism the Red Card

You really really need to get your hole!

Christ knows what the loser that changed the spelling of Kevin Rutkiewicz needs then.

The away shorts and socks are blue.

I didn't actually put those strips in there, looking for patterns in HTML code is too tedious even for me.