Thread About Ex Player - Page 347 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Don’t think so. He struggled for form and injury that season but was one of our better players in the League One season and the following season when we finished fifth and we won one or two awards and got a move back to England. Duffy was a big fan of him - partly because (to take this back to where it started) he (in Duffy’s words) ‘never shirked responsibility’. But I wonder if maybe the first season coloured people’s perceptions over the next two. 

(That was a reply to Alibi)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

That was a common myth started in the 13/14 season when people were desperately looking for reasons why our form would turn around rather than accepting that we were fucked as we fell further and further back. Those who didn't want to accept the reality of the situation saw they had no argument based on what was happening on the pitch, so resorted to something unquantifiable. 'McKee's the Tidser replacement in this team, he's the playmaker who's going to make it tick, he started the season well, when he's fit we'll be fine' was typical of the straw clutching on display.

tl;dr

It's also worth remembering that McKee returned from this massive injury lay-off of, erm, five league games to participate in the first team during the autumn of 2013. Our record in the following ten league games? W1 D1 L8, GS 5 GC 23. 

He's the world's shittest Allan Jenkins then.

1 hour ago, cmdc said:

Don’t think so. He struggled for form and injury that season but was one of our better players in the League One season

What, the League One season in which the team lost no less than eleven league matches and would have easily lost even more with the midfield getting regularly overrun by Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion etc. every other week as well? The better players in that season were quite clearly i) Derek Gaston ii) Declan McManus (regardless of all his snake conduct since) iii) Peter MacDonald for his cameo turn from January. None of our truly dung midfielders or ropey defence - with the possible exception of Mark Russell as an attacking full-back - emerge from that particular campaign with more credit than a winners' medal itself deserves. Next you'll be making a case for Michael Miller or Jamie McCluskey's inherent ability (which is similarly zero). 

Duffy was a big fan of him - partly because (to take this back to where it started) he (in Duffy’s words) ‘never shirked responsibility’. But I wonder if maybe the first season coloured people’s perceptions over the next two. 

One of many honking player judgments that explain why Duffy is now back in the seaside leagues managing a pub team having expended his genuine usefulness at turning around The Famous a long time ago. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, cmdc said:

Don’t think so. He struggled for form and injury that season but was one of our better players in the League One season and the following season when we finished fifth and we won one or two awards and got a move back to England. Duffy was a big fan of him - partly because (to take this back to where it started) he (in Duffy’s words) ‘never shirked responsibility’. But I wonder if maybe the first season coloured people’s perceptions over the next two. 

(That was a reply to Alibi)

Ross Forbes made his debut in the 21st league game against Ayr on the 10th of January. Including that day, McKee only started 4 of the last 16 games, and only came on as a sub in 4 despite being available for the majority of that time.

He only started 20 league games over the course of the season and was a bit part player after January because we significantly upgraded on him with Forbes, who was pivotal to turning our form round and winning us the league in the same role McKee had been playing. With McKee in that role, we'd only won two out of seven and had fallen five points off the top before Forbes turned up.

• Like 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

That’s a bit misleading I think as he was injured for much of that latter period. I basically agree with Duffy’s assessment of him here: https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/14475797.duffy-mckee-could-leave-morton-to-make-england-return/

Anyway, I seem to have gone from “it’s old ground” to “clear my diary instead anyone is critical of Joe McKee”...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

'Injured' in 13/14 = actually a dung performer who contributed to the club's disgraceful relegation

'Injured' in 14/15 = actually a dung performer whose removal from the team directly led to us escaping the massive hole dug for us by his rancid midfield displays (among many other culprits)

It's just as well McKee actually hid as often as he did, as if he were truly the all-action figure of cmdc's wildest fantasies then we'd probably be in the Lowland League right now getting pumped by Bo'ness and East Stirling. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

16 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Charlie Telfer spent some time in the Dutch second tier too, with Almere City. 

Ross is one of only two Scots in the Dutch senior leagues. There's a central defender called George Johnston on the books at Feyenoord. Ex-Liverpool youth, apparently not miles off the first team.

Another one of those, same time tomorrow.

Picked for Scotland u21's today

TIME FOR CHANGE!

McKee played well for us towards the end of his time with us, but that was really the only period of time that he actually looked the part. He was one of many, many players we've had over the years who have been "neat" midfield players with signs of technical ability but nothing like the all round attributes to be a consistent performer at this kind of level. It's no surprise that he struggled at Carlisle and Falkirk and ended up back in League One last season. Maybe he's improved at Dumbarton and will come back to haunt us this season - who knows. 

His story is a very common one. A young player who had an overinflated idea of how good he was and little idea of what it actually takes to play at a decent level. It's very telling that he thought he should be playing Championship level in England and a couple of years later struggling to adjust to football at League One level in Scotland. 

• Upvote 2

All of this doesn’t hide the fact that he’ll be a stick-on to score against us at some point.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

45 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

McKee played well for us towards the end of his time with us, but that was really the only period of time that he actually looked the part. He was one of many, many players we've had over the years who have been "neat" midfield players with signs of technical ability but nothing like the all round attributes to be a consistent performer at this kind of level. It's no surprise that he struggled at Carlisle and Falkirk and ended up back in League One last season. Maybe he's improved at Dumbarton and will come back to haunt us this season - who knows. 

His story is a very common one. A young player who had an overinflated idea of how good he was and little idea of what it actually takes to play at a decent level. It's very telling that he thought he should be playing Championship level in England and a couple of years later struggling to adjust to football at League One level in Scotland. 

If a young player doesn't have confidence in their ability and ambitions of playing at a higher level then they shouldn't be a professional footballer. 

50 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I don’t think he struggled to adjust to that level at all, as Duffy said in the link above, he was very good that season and next, but I sense we’re not going to agree on that! On the Championship thing though, he was signed by Burnley and Bolton. It’s not just that he had a delusional thought that he could play at that level, it’s that clubs at that level thought he could too and offered him the chance. It didn’t work out that way, but that’s life.

19 minutes ago, irnbru said:

If a young player doesn't have confidence in their ability and ambitions of playing at a higher level then they shouldn't be a professional footballer. 

Like Donovan 'SPL' Simmonds. 

11 minutes ago, cmdc said:

On the Championship thing though, he was signed by Burnley and Bolton. It’s not just that he had a delusional thought that he could play at that level, it’s that clubs at that level thought he could too and offered him the chance. It didn’t work out that way, but that’s life.

I haven't seen as desperate a clutching at straws exercise since Dougie announced Kieran McAnespie's signing as that of 'an English Premiership winger'. 

47 minutes ago, cmdc said:

I don’t think he struggled to adjust to that level at all, as Duffy said in the link above, he was very good that season and next, but I sense we’re not going to agree on that! On the Championship thing though, he was signed by Burnley and Bolton. It’s not just that he had a delusional thought that he could play at that level, it’s that clubs at that level thought he could too and offered him the chance. It didn’t work out that way, but that’s life.

McKee himself is defending a performance at that level in the interview by saying it was his first full season. I think that's a good example of what I was talking about, he had some ability but struggled to adjust to the demands of the game at that level. I very much doubt we would've gone up if we hadn't signed Forbes and McKee stayed in the team. 

There are loads of young players who have been a teams like that who never play for the first team. It was naive of him to think he was ready for the first team. He's far from alone in that. It's understandable, but there are too many young players who don't appreciate just how far away they are from being ready for first team football. 

55 minutes ago, irnbru said:

I agree, but they also need to be realistic about their ability. Having a good understanding of where you and how far you need to go is very important. I think McKee himself acknowledges this:

I was of the belief I should have been playing in the first-team. You just don’t appreciate the level you are it when you’re that young.

Edited by SpoonTon

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Don’t remind me. Had completely blanked him from my memory.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Aye, the majority of players won't be good enough but they have to have that belief and confidence at that age or they'll struggle to even be a success in the lower leagues. 

2 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

I agree, but they also need to be realistic about their ability. Having a good understanding of where you and how far you need to go is very important. I think McKee himself acknowledges this:

I was of the belief I should have been playing in the first-team. You just don’t appreciate the level you are it when you’re that young.

This is the crux of it. Age group football is to first team football as freeroll tournaments are to cash tournaments in poker. Yeah, decent practice, a great way to learn, and something at stake - but it's not even in the same postcode as the real thing.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png