Thread About Ex Player - Page 340 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Further (albeit slight) evidence that the game's gone at this level, Jeff. 

Presumably we'll get some pleading sob story soon about the missus and weans/dug/goldfish being left in rags if he didn't take the mercenary shilling playing in the fourth tier under a massive bellpiece manager. It was pathetic behaviour when Stevie Tosh etc. dropped down to play for that Lucozade-swilling jakey's village outfit 15 years ago and the same applies to any so-called 'professional footballer' who now chooses to play below their level for some dung outfit like QP, EK, ES, Kelty or fucking 'Darvel' instead.

It would be a terrible, wee shame if Covid prevents the 20/21 season from ever actually getting going at that level, keeps all those stupid outfits firmly in their box for another year and fucks over all their shameless mercenary players into the bargain.

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

11 hours ago, Tubes said:

Level found, finally.

13 hours ago, GiGi said:

Or it's just Kilday's level.

Next!

Given that Sean Crighton is a mainstay of the third tier with nearly 150 career appearances at that level, we can safely file the above nonsense hot-take in the bin where it belongs.

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

Kilday was decent for us until he got injured. Was never the same player after that.

He needs to earn a living & AFAIK never did anything to merit the booing he got last season when he played for QoS.

Because of course no other football club in the country will be signing players this summer other than Willie Haughey's stupid wee mercenary outfit in the fourth tier.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

6 hours ago, Alibi said:

Kilday was decent for us until he got injured. Was never the same player after that.

He needs to earn a living & AFAIK never did anything to merit the booing he got last season when he played for QoS.

This is true, but like all who choose to join 'Ray' he now merits booing.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

I’m pretty sure the Lee Kilday song was still sung (ironically right enough) 

That was about the best moment of last season, when Kilday hit the ball off Craig McGuffie for our 4th goal at Palmerston & everyone started singing the Lee Kilday song.  That and Cadden's demolition job for the first 3 goals.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

5 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Because of course no other football club in the country will be signing players this summer other than Willie Haughey's stupid wee mercenary outfit in the fourth tier.

I'm sure you would turn down the best financial offer in favour of a lower paid job.

Edited by Alibi

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

I'm sure you would turn down the best financial offer in favour of a lower paid job.

People turn down dung, dead-end jobs in the real jobs market all the time M8, whether they offer more money or not. And nothing could be more dung and dead-end than dropping two tiers to play for the biggest cunt in Scottish football, whose innovative 'sign anyone who once took a pish at Cappielow' transfer strategy saw him relegated and sacked from his previous job within 14 months. So I wouldn't bank on that contract at all.

And that's before we even deal with the fallacy that professional footballers hold down a comparable job to anyone in the real world. It's not as if Messi and Ronaldo are badgering their agents to get a pay rise every thing five minutes or else they'll sign for some tinpot Qatari or Chinese mob. Many professional footballers actually want to achieve things playing at the highest possible level because it's a sport and not a twelve hour shift down a uranium mine. That so many Scottish footballers have adopted a loser, mercenary mindset instead goes a long way to explaining why the national game is in such a mess.

I think it must be very easy for gubbins footballers to take more pay for easier work and presumably less hours training.

Rather than having any aspirations of a career at a higher level, for him the number one is Lee Kilday.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Or you could strive to do what Sir Richard has done by showing sufficient drive to play at the highest possible level and improve yourself - which then comes with the financial rewards of becoming an established player and future Scotland international.

I really don't understand why people are even interested in watching football at this level if they believe that players are right to prioritise collecting the biggest P60s over their career at the expense of trophies and success. If that mindset is allowed to prevail in the Morton squad then we'll never achieve anything at this level.

While it's of course a noble aspiration to want play at the highest level possible and win trophies and whatnot, the reality for the vast majority of players at our level is that the best they can reasonably expect is to earn a half decent living until their early to mid 30s. Some at our level do of course make it to the 'big time', but the reality is that the majority don't. That being the case, if an offer comes along that pays the bills, especially in the current uncertain  climate, then I would't blame anyone for taking it rather than holding off in the hope that something better might come along over the summer. This is literally the arse end of the professional football pyramid, so it''s by no means certain that he would have got a better offer if he'd knocked it back. The fact he's going to work for The Snake, at least until he gets the inevitable sacking, does leave a very bitter taste though.

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Or you could strive to do what Sir Richard has done by showing sufficient drive to play at the highest possible level and improve yourself - which then comes with the financial rewards of becoming an established player and future Scotland international.

I really don't understand why people are even interested in watching football at this level if they believe that players are right to prioritise collecting the biggest P60s over their career at the expense of trophies and success. If that mindset is allowed to prevail in the Morton squad then we'll never achieve anything at this level.

Sir Richard is a much better player though hence his career trajectory since leaving The Famous.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

44 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Sir Richard is a much better player though hence his career trajectory since leaving The Famous.

Sir Richard started off his career as a total carthorse and has only become a much better player by displaying the sufficient ambition, determination and application to improve his game to meet new challenges. While we can't control the attitudes of his mercenary counterparts, displaying that sort of sporting ambition should be the Category 1A essential criteria of our club's transfer strategy. If your answer to the generic 'where do you see yourself in five years' time' hiring question even hints at 'grubbing around the lower leagues for the biggest pay cheque 'cos ma wife and weans' then you shouldn't darken the door of this institution. We will achieve nothing with that type of player because we will never have the resources to avoid losing them to the competition.

Edited by vikingTON

Likely facts are, Kilday will be on more money at Queens Park than he was at Morton. That's the sad reality. Same with all these guys going to teams like EK and Kelty. They're tossing money around like it's going out of fashion and in this climate it's obvious why so many are taking the bait. 

Career ambition has been outweighed by the prospect of more money for arguable less hours. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

1 hour ago, TONofmemories said:

Likely facts are, Kilday will be on more money at Queens Park than he was at Morton. That's the sad reality. Same with all these guys going to teams like EK and Kelty. They're tossing money around like it's going out of fashion and in this climate it's obvious why so many are taking the bait. 

Career ambition has been outweighed by the prospect of more money for arguable less hours. 

He's got a family and is heading towards the end of his career so is unlikely to get a move to a higher level so can't really blame him. 

The choice is between playing at a higher level and struggling to get by (maybe even having to get a second job) or being comfortable, having more family time and still getting paid for something he enjoys. 

51 minutes ago, irnbru said:

He's got a family and is heading towards the end of his career so is unlikely to get a move to a higher level so can't really blame him. 

The choice is between playing at a higher level and struggling to get by (maybe even having to get a second job) or being comfortable, having more family time and still getting paid for something he enjoys. 

Why would he have more family time at QP?