Thread About Ex Player - Page 339 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

4 hours ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

Whoever Dunfermline replaced Nisbet with was always going to be a downgrade, but McManus is a League One striker. That's a massive downgrade. 

I wouldn't go quite that far - he's probably good for ten goals a season at this level, which as our stats since coming up in 2007 show is enough to 'do a job' for a lower midtable team. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

12 minutes ago, Toby said:

I see the club have announced the passing of Eddie Beaton, who signed in 1956 and scored over 100 goals in only four seasons at the club.

I’m no AyrshireTon, but I’d like to think I’m pretty well briefed on the history of the club. Of course, the 50s wasn’t a terribly successful period for Morton, certainly compared to the 60s, but that’s some record, even considering goals were easier to come by back then- am I alone in saying I can’t remember ever hearing of him or his goal scoring feats?

Rest in peace, of course.

I didn't know the name until about a year ago when I started collecting my data. 100+ is all the more impressive when you consider that we weren't exactly short of regular goal-scorers back then. Scored in a win at Douglas Park, which is hall-of-fame material really.

Thoughts are with the family.

• Upvote 2

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Robert Earnshaw for Cardiff? The then-Division Two playoff final of 2002-03. That was at the Millennium, not Wembley, but it was the final.

edit: Wycombe are 1-0 up. Samuel could be Championship-bound.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

18 minutes ago, Toby said:

Hopkin when he scored the winner for Palace against Sheffield United?

Jim McAlister missed out on Blackpool’s appearance through injury.

Hopkin - his promotion to the EPL was around 1997/8.  George Graham signed him for Leeds shortly afterwards.

McAllister - I thought he came on as a sub in that game?

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

7 minutes ago, Deego said:

Did Jason Walker not play at Wembley for some play-off game?

edit: just looked it up. He played in this game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Conference_Premier_play-off_Final

Not sure if that's what you meant by 'one of these'. Still, almost 40,000 in attendance!

Pretty sure he also scored the winner for Barrow at Wembley once? Possibly an FA Trophy Final?

Jason is from Barrow originally, and while he hasn't played for them since 2016, he'll presumably be pleased that they've won the National League this season. That puts Barrow back in league football for the first time since 1972.

Apparently he is at Lancaster City. You can see their ground - the superbly named Giant Axe - from the train from London to Glasgow, the West Coast Main Line.

Another one of those, same time tomorrow.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

Jason is from Barrow originally, and while he hasn't played for them since 2016, he'll presumably be pleased that they've won the National League this season. That puts Barrow back in league football for the first time since 1972.

Apparently he is at Lancaster City. You can see their ground - the superbly named Giant Axe - from the train from London to Glasgow, the West Coast Main Line.

Another one of those, same time tomorrow.

We were supposed to be playing Lancaster there in a hastily arranged pre-season friendly in 2007, which got called off shortly before kick-off as there was a torrential downpour.

*insert signature here*

8 hours ago, capitanus said:

We were supposed to be playing Lancaster there in a hastily arranged pre-season friendly in 2007, which got called off shortly before kick-off as there was a torrential downpour.

That pitch was under about 20 feet of water!! (Maybe an exaggeration). 

MORTON - NEWCASTLE

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

That pitch was under about 20 feet of water!! (Maybe an exaggeration). 

The pitch at Chester City was under that amount of water hence why that game was called off and the Lancaster game was arranged at short notice, only for it to be called off as well just before kick-off. Apparently JTT's team of chancers and sand-dancers were holed up in a Travelodge off the M6 at the time.

Speaking of Chester City and chancers, apparently our mate the podcaster has taken over their social media now.  

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*