Thread About Ex Player - Page 301 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Keep the warchest primed, it's happening.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I see Gerrard is seething that Sir Richard elbowed ‘Joe Aribo’ in the head, gave him a twenty-stitch wound and escaped without even a booking.

Not quite that last minute, ten man, Sir Gavin inspired equaliser against them on their own, horrible midden, but another mark on his good guy scorecard regardless.

• Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Was sad to read on Facebook there that former Ton striker Joe Mason, who played for us from 1966 to 1972, has passed away. My earliest Morton memory, from my very first game circa 1968, was sitting in the stand with my auld fella and Joe smacking a 20 yard shot off the crossbar. That was the moment I became hooked on football. 

Sad news, Joe was my first Morton hero

• Upvote 1

McKinnon sticking to type and favouring unbeaten runs as some sort of achievement, happy with draws, when the money they have spent they should be steamrolling through that league already.

Can't wait for the next update to his hilarious LinkedIn page.

ETA - and roon ye Michael.

Edited by Jamie_M
  • Upvote 1

Joe Mason was a hero of mine too - I think he signed for the club in time for the 66-67 season when we had just been relegated from the old first division.  That was the first season I had a season ticket (£4 for the year, seated right next to the home dugout in the front row) and from then on i hardly ever missed a home game.  I remember Joe scoring an amazing goal against Third Lanark at the WDE when a high diagonal cross came in from the left, but dropping slightly behind him.  Without breaking stride, Joe backheeled the ball over his own head and as it dropped in front of him he volleyed it into the net.  Would have been a goal of the season if it had been on the TV.  Also remember him scoring a beautiful curling shot against Killie, in a League Cup quarter final second leg, with highlights on TV, to give us a win at Rugby Park and a semi final against Celtic (who gubbed us 7-1 I think, but that was the European Cup winning Celtic team so not really comparable to getting beaten 6-0 by Dundee United).

I assume there will be a minute's silence for Joe on Saturday (or is that sort of thing now be reserved for former Old Firm players who have absolutely no connection to Morton?).

• Upvote 2

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

He's one of our record goalscorers of all-time and spent several years at the club, I'd assume he will receive acknowledgement.

If he doesn't, then there should be some kind of outcry considering we recently had a minutes silence for Fernando Ricksen, who had no connection to Morton.

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

My condolences to Joe's family.

He is one of my all-time favourite players. He wasn't a big guy, but a great footballer. He had great  vision and control of a ball.

IIRC he played in the transition era, when formation switched from 2-3-5 ( believe it you youngsters), to 4-2-4. He was an incredible midfielder, one of the best around.

Again, iirc, he came to Morton from Kilmarnock, where Willie Waddell was the manager, at the time. Waddell later became manager of Glasgow Rangers and at the end of Joe's playing career, he took him to Ibrox as a youth coach.

RIP Joe. Thanks for the memories.

• Upvote 1