Thread About Ex Player - Page 179 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

https://twitter.com/siferry8/status/937987254257160192

Gardyne not so innocent with the old nudity.

Sinister.

When he was at Cappielow there was a similar story about both him and Dean Keenan.

They were both punted shortly afterwards. Nowadays their teammates would have to wear rainbowlaces in a show of support for them.

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

At the time he left us the timing was awful. His agent had 'probably' leaked his escape clause value etc,etc. It absolutely derailed us at the time. This time at least its playing out honourably, eventually. I don't blame him, I blame agents in general.

It’s an agent’s job to do what’s in the best interests of his client.

It’s an agent’s job to do what’s in the best interests of his client.

That is undoubtedly true.

The issue with McMurdo, his agent at the time and a self confessed Rangers fan was that he allegedly leaked to Rangers a confidentiality clause in which it was stated that Derek could leave if an offer of £350K came in. Rangers offered that and although a couple of English First Division teams, again allegedly, offered more the move to Rangers was pushed through.

McGraw was livid.

• Downvote 2

That is undoubtedly true.

The issue with McMurdo, his agent at the time and a self confessed Rangers fan was that he allegedly leaked to Rangers a confidentiality clause in which it was stated that Derek could leave if an offer of £350K came in. Rangers offered that and although a couple of English First Division teams, again allegedly, offered more the move to Rangers was pushed through.

McGraw was livid.

There’s no way McMurdo or McInnes would’ve allowed such a clause to be kept private at the time of him signing his extension in the summer of 1995. The whole point of such a clause is that it allows the player an escape if a certain offer comes in. It wouldn’t have been in their interests to insert that into the deal whist keeping quiet about it.

It was disappointing to lose him at the time, especially to a club like them, but we had nothing to complain about.

• Upvote 1

The point Alan McGraw made at the time was that it was known that there was a clause but that the amount was agreed to be confidential. That may or may not have been the case but it is certainly what the row was about.

Obviously if there was a bidding war Morton wanted the highest possible sum and therefore keeping the sum confidential would have made sense.

• Downvote 2

The point Alan McGraw made at the time was that it was known that there was a clause but that the amount was agreed to be confidential. That may or may not have been the case but it is certainly what the row was about.

Obviously if there was a bidding war Morton wanted the highest possible sum and therefore keeping the sum confidential would have made sense.

If you believe that Bill McMurdo, who was the shrewdest agent in the game at the time, would agree to a small club’s demands for a confidentiality clause in their most prized asset’s contract, at a time said club were desperate to hold onto him, and with Bosman just round the corner and the transfer market going through a period of uncertainty, then there’s nothing I can say to convince you.

Only an idiot, or someone with a massive case of sour grapes would be convinced by such a fairytale. Morton were desperate to keep a hold of McInnes- they were in no position of strength to be inserting clauses such as that into the contract of an in demand star player, especially one tied up by an agent that ran rings round far bigger clubs than ourselves.

• Upvote 1

If you believe that Bill McMurdo, who was the shrewdest agent in the game at the time, would agree to a small club’s demands for a confidentiality clause in their most prized asset’s contract, at a time said club were desperate to hold onto him, and with Bosman just round the corner and the transfer market going through a period of uncertainty, then there’s nothing I can say to convince you.

Only an idiot, or someone with a massive case of sour grapes would be convinced by such a fairytale. Morton were desperate to keep a hold of McInnes- they were in no position of strength to be inserting clauses such as that into the contract of an in demand star player, especially one tied up by an agent that ran rings round far bigger clubs than ourselves.

I think you over-state the position of strength McInnes was in at the time of negotiating his extension.  

Whilst the Bosman ruling was just around the corner, no-one knew what the judgment was going to be.  Also, the Bosman case (and judgment) related to transfers between EU member states: it did not in itself relate or apply to transfers within the same member-state (this was a later adoption).

He was also not "in demand" at the time of signing his extension: he was in dispute over offered contract for some time before eventually signing and was not linked to any clubs during that summer period.   He could have signed elsewhere if another club wanted him and was prepared to either meet our expectations or go to tribunal, but he didn't seem to have any attractive offers.   He was our star player, but was still relatively low-profile at that time.

That aside, confidentiality clauses are common-place in employment contracts; mine has one and I suspect most football contracts are a standard form which includes such a clause.   In the vast majority of cases there is no reason to object to a confidentiality clause, but insisting on its removal would send red flags.

I doubt the escape clause had it's own confidentiality clause, but suspect it was captured by a general confidentiality clause covering the entire contract.   Wilson was quite explicit in the media about the contract having a confidentiality clause and McInnes/McMurdo breaking it.   Had there been no such clause, the obvious response of McInnes/McMurdo would have been to admit to leaking the escape clause because they were perfectly entitled to do so.  But they never admitted it, and they also never sought to argue that there was no confidentiality clause.   

More likely that McInnes/McMurdo accepted the clause because: a) any bid from a genuinely interested Premiership Club would have exceeded the 250K threshold anyway, b.) if need by they could always leak the threshold figure with effective impunity, and c) in the event of Bosman going the way they hoped, McInnes would be able to escape at the end of his new contract regardless.   All three of these factors came good.

Edited by SramTon

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

I am only repeating what Alan McGraw reported at the time. You can check out the press cuttings if you want to. I have no reason to disbelieve him.

• Downvote 2