Alistair Donald - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Alistair Donald

Flattery will get you nowhere...

That's what you said before-it wasn't flattery-it was amazement!

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
=If Alistair Donald had had anything to do with it I believe we'd already have a new sponsor.

I still think you are overestimating the relative value of replacing the sponsor. Shirt and pitchside sponsorship is not a terribly easy thing to find in Inverclyde...Buchanan's/Golden Casket/Millions are big local brands, and for what the Rae's put in to the club, advertising their product is probably not too much of a concession...especially when Morton's viability is largely tied to the success of that business (and from the outside looking in, it does seem to be a fairly successful business). If, however, there was a whopping offer to take over the sponsorship, which was stubbornly refused, then that would be another matter, but given the relatively poor exposure given to the SFL, which itself struggled to find a sponsor, I would be pretty surprised if such an offer were to come along anytime soon. This is educated guesswork by the way, so if anyone has concrete evidence of this kind of offer being refused, I defer!

I still think you are overestimating the relative value of replacing the sponsor. Shirt and pitchside sponsorship is not a terribly easy thing to find in Inverclyde...Buchanan's/Golden Casket/Millions are big local brands, and for what the Rae's put in to the club, advertising their product is probably not too much of a concession...especially when Morton's viability is largely tied to the success of that business (and from the outside looking in, it does seem to be a fairly successful business). If, however, there was a whopping offer to take over the sponsorship, which was stubbornly refused, then that would be another matter, but given the relatively poor exposure given to the SFL, which itself struggled to find a sponsor, I would be pretty surprised if such an offer were to come along anytime soon. This is educated guesswork by the way, so if anyone has concrete evidence of this kind of offer being refused, I defer!

QoS do a shirt sponsorship lottery and I believe that it's pretty damn lucrative. We should look into something similar, perhaps?

EOho8Pw.png

What does that involve?

Local businesses (or national ones, I guess) pay £x to go into a lottery, and the winner is the shirt sponsor for that year.

It's quite a small amount but generates huge local interest, so the overall sum is above what some SFL1 teams get on the open market for the main sponsorship package.

If we did that, coupled with a "consolation" of being listed in the first home programme of the season for all the losers, I bet Inverclyde could generate tons of interest.

Edit: There's info on the QoS website about it -

SHIRT SPONSORSHIP DRAW - £400.

The chance to have your business name on the front of the First Team shirts.

A full team of players - 11. How many years of the Queen of the South Shirt Sponsorship Draw - this is the 11th. A very exciting addition to the 10 annual prizes - all the ones, legs 11! Find out more: phone Margaret on 01556 504569

You may be aware that we have received considerable local and national media coverage since we introduced our Shirt Sponsorship draw 11 years ago. The value of the Draw to the Club is approx £80k per season. Without the draw, it would be unlikely, that the Club could raise this level of sponsorship through conventional shirt sponsorship.

* The Shirt Draw was won by local company B B Body Repairers this season. The draw will be made on the last Thursday of May, 31st May, 2007. Make sure you are in it!

*All participants receive a Season Ticket for all home games worth approx £220.

*Your business will be listed in all match day programmes and on this website

EOho8Pw.png

Local businesses (or national ones, I guess) pay £x to go into a lottery, and the winner is the shirt sponsor for that year.

It's quite a small amount but generates huge local interest, so the overall sum is above what some SFL1 teams get on the open market for the main sponsorship package.

If we did that, coupled with a "consolation" of being listed in the first home programme of the season for all the losers, I bet Inverclyde could generate tons of interest.

Sounds like a good idea...and there are plenty of ways "losing" businesses could be compensated...hospitality packages/pitchside sponsorship etc.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if (and if so, what) the club recieve a specific sum from Golden Casket for the shirt space? Or what, roughly, the market value of that space is in the First Division?

Did not The Midden do the same at one time .

I also do not see why the individual youth teams could also be involved in such a scheme that would generate extra funds . One thing I suppose it would need for that to work would be the club to get their focus on promoting the system .

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if (and if so, what) the club recieve a specific sum from Golden Casket for the shirt space? Or what, roughly, the market value of that space is in the First Division?

from GMFC accounts, £24K for shirt sponsorship - going rate in 1st division ???

A press release confirming this will be released shortly...

If QoS are clearing 80k (granted some of that will be mitigated by the fact that there is advertising space in the programme and a set of season tickets included in the deal) then you'd have to assume that Morton (who are with all due respect a 'bigger' club than QoS, at least in terms of fanbase) can do better than 24k.

QoS' deal is long-established so 80k right off the bat would be unrealistic for us but there is no way we couldn't get 24k from the lottery.

You'd only need 60 people/companies to take up the lottery to get 24k, and assuming that some companies may enter more than once (to get more than one season ticket) I don't see why Morton couldn't double it at the very least.

EOho8Pw.png

Cheers for the info.

Taking the QOTS thing at face value, it certainly seems something worth exploring.

I've already said that sponsorship should only be switched if it will generate a significantly bigger income.I believe it can, and also believe that the highlighted text is largely a myth perpetuated by The current Club owners for reasons best known to themselves.

It's not the going rate you should be looking at-it 's the potential market and that is a function of fanbase. We could do MUCH better IMO.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

£750K of shares - and why do you think that the Raes will only take £200K max?

I was ad-libbing from a line from Andy M on the original EGM thread, the one before MJ decided he actually was interested and subsequently shat on it.

I got the detail slightly wrong, what Andy said was 1M shares at 75p, Golden Casket expected to take up a fifth of the shares.

Along the track the train came puffin, Morton 1 Celtic nuffin.

If QoS are clearing 80k (granted some of that will be mitigated by the fact that there is advertising space in the programme and a set of season tickets included in the deal) then you'd have to assume that Morton (who are with all due respect a 'bigger' club than QoS, at least in terms of fanbase) can do better than 24k.

QoS' deal is long-established so 80k right off the bat would be unrealistic for us but there is no way we couldn't get 24k from the lottery.

You'd only need 60 people/companies to take up the lottery to get 24k, and assuming that some companies may enter more than once (to get more than one season ticket) I don't see why Morton couldn't double it at the very least.

That extra revenue could pay the costs of the youth set up , hell it may even allow us to improve and get development status which would ensure a grant from the SFA . Money working to make more money .

I know but i'm naw tellin. ;)

I am not that interested B)

There is a percentage on the board who wouldn't believe you even if you had video footage .

Everything is fine , nothing to see here , carry on as if your normal

I am not that interested B)

There is a percentage on the board who wouldn't believe you even if you had video footage .

Everything is fine , nothing to see here , carry on as if your normal

There is a percentage on this board whom if you rubbed their nose in s***e would still be in denial they ever went near the s***e in the first place.

I do have some limited facts, as I have advised some of my messageboard colleagues, but they are limited and as such I try not to post any until I am sure, but I haven't been let down in the past so once I am sure I may just post what I have been advised.

Then again, such is the verocity of backlash at times I may not bother my arse. This thread being an example as all the original poster has done is ask a pertinent and relevant question and some just don't like that. I am glad the sensible among our fans on here have contributed to the thread in a constructive way, not just to dismiss jags post as loonball material.

200px-Trollface.png

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

There is a percentage on this board whom if you rubbed their nose in s***e would still be in denial they ever went near the s***e in the first place.

I do have some limited facts, as I have advised some of my messageboard colleagues, but they are limited and as such I try not to post any until I am sure, but I haven't been let down in the past so once I am sure I may just post what I have been advised.

Then again, such is the verocity of backlash at times I may not bother my arse. This thread being an example as all the original poster has done is ask a pertinent and relevant question and some just don't like that. I am glad the sensible among our fans on here have contributed to the thread in a constructive way, not just to dismiss jags post as loonball material.

I did ask about the possible sponsorship of the individual youth teams at the Q+A and it didn't feel as though Crawford warmed to that idea . He asked me if I knew how difficult it was to attract sponsors to the club .

Obviously I didn't but then it isin't my job to attract sponsors to the business .

I was ad-libbing from a line from Andy M on the original EGM thread, the one before MJ decided he actually was interested and subsequently shat on it.

I got the detail slightly wrong, what Andy said was 1M shares at 75p, Golden Casket expected to take up a fifth of the shares.

What the f*ck are you blabbering about again Cawstick?

Anyhow, it's five days down the line and nobody seems to have a Scooby about Alistair Donald, so I'm going to stick out my neck and suggest that he's very keen to own the club and Shoogly-stubborn old fool as usual -has said something along the lines of-

Alistair, I'm more than willing to sell this 'excellent old club' with its fine tradition- which I have been supporting 'with my heart on my sleeve' since I was 'knee high to Arthur Montford' -for 'the right price', but I'm afraid ten million is nowhere NEAR a fair valuation....... though I'll let you have it for nine million provided I retain the 'casting vote' on all matters, and the May Hughes Dancers are still allowed to 'dance', and I want those parachutists to descend again at our opening game this season to celebrate the meticulous planning which was the hallmark of last season's efforts and totally down to myself as the fans will tell you 'man for man', though good Rangers chap as you are, you must confess that Celtic fans are 'a joy to behold', bringing as they do tears to this old man's eyes.

YER BARD

Archived