What Are You Listening To At The Moment? - Page 347 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

What Are You Listening To At The Moment?

amy

really??? i couldn't get into "here's tom..." at all man :(

was really disappointed with it :o

Suprised at that, thought it'd have been right up your street. B)

Nice tip of the hat to the main man Arthur Lee!

Neither could I. Not a patch on HMS Fable in my opinion

Its maybe cause I heard Here's Tom before I heard HMS Fable, that I like it better.

Thats How Strong My Love Is - The Creation

Fire - Television

Radio Free Europe - REM

Blood In My Eyes - The Mississippi Sheiks

Bryan Maclean - Barber John

Some people never go crazy, what truly horrible lifes they must live - Charles Bukowski

Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With You

Not their best album, but very enjoyable, energetic, better than a lot of what was on either disc of Stadium Arcadium!

"In a country lacerated by the sharp shards of broken brown-eyed promises, in a world bent low by the burden of disease, war and the price of Thunderbird, who is left to make full account of God and Britain's depleted moral mini bar? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With You

Not their best album, but very enjoyable, energetic, better than a lot of what was on either disc of Stadium Arcadium!

You think so Neil? I'm not so sure. I'm openly pretty fanatical about the Chili Peppers but upon my first listen of I'm With You I was pretty disappointed, although after a few listens its grown on me. Bit disappointed in the new guitarist, Klinghoffer, for me he leaves a bit of a hole in the creative process. There's not one song that's openly identifiable through a riff like Scar Tissue, Otherside, Snow, Under the Bridge etc - you can tell it's mainly been Flea coming to the table with a bassline and Klinghoffer's tried to ghost around it.

Still, some good songs on there and despite what people say about them becoming 'too mainstream' or 'too radio friendly', whatever the **** that means, for a band that will be in their 50s next year they continue to explore new avenues and try new things. It's a new beginning for them, I think they've still got a lot to offer.

Edited by gmfc_boyo

No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind.

Buy the ticket, take the ride...

You think so Neil? I'm not so sure. I'm openly pretty fanatical about the Chili Peppers but upon my first listen of I'm With You I was pretty disappointed, although after a few listens its grown on me. Bit disappointed in the new guitarist, Klinghoffer, for me he leaves a bit of a hole in the creative process. There's not one song that's openly identifiable through a riff like Scar Tissue, Otherside, Snow, Under the Bridge etc - you can tell it's mainly been Flea coming to the table with a bassline and Klinghoffer's tried to ghost around it.

Still, some good songs on there and despite what people say about them becoming 'too mainstream' or 'too radio friendly', whatever the **** that means, for a band that will be in their 50s next year they continue to explore new avenues and try new things. It's a new beginning for them, I think they've still got a lot to offer.

Oh, I know your fanatical Shaun, more than me for sure! :) I think Frusciante's absence is very noticeable, sceptical about the new guy myself, but I like the direction their taking. Doesn't feel samey like a lot of bands who are kicking on a bit sound.

I've been reading bits and pieces over the last week and Flea reckons they've discovered a new energy which I actually think comes across on the album, no songs that feel iconic, standout your right, give it time though. But some amazing tracks. They may be entering their 50s, but these guys keep super fit and I've got a feeling the live dates are going to be pretty special, roll on the SECC in November! :)

Edited by Mortonbug

"In a country lacerated by the sharp shards of broken brown-eyed promises, in a world bent low by the burden of disease, war and the price of Thunderbird, who is left to make full account of God and Britain's depleted moral mini bar? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

Taken For A Fool - The Strokes

Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana

Soul For Sale - Whiteout

Rockaway Beach - The Ramones

Winter In America - Gil Scott Heron

Some people never go crazy, what truly horrible lifes they must live - Charles Bukowski

Currently listening to'

The Drums - Portamento.

Smiths / Cure - esque ?

Listen to this Deego and tell me what you think, honestly.

I'm not really getting it tbh. When I stop listening to it I keep hearing 90s dance music in my head.

Currently listening to'

The Drums - Portamento.

Smiths / Cure - esque ?

Listen to this Deego and tell me what you think, honestly.

Listened to the Summertime e.p a while back and thought they had a 80s indie sound, not heard their album though.

Can't get enough of U.N.P.O.C album at the moment.

Dropkick Murphys - Live On St Patrick's Day, Boston

Bought this a while back, awesome energy, always liked the song Shipping Out To Boston and the early albums. Liked what I've heard of the recent stuff. Going to see them for the first time in February, pure cannae wait! :)

Edited by Mortonbug

The Scorpion Departs But Never Returns - Phil Ochs

Daybreak - The Stone Roses

Big Business In Europe - Delgados

Green Is The Colour - The Coral

Mansion on the Hill - Neil Young

:D

TAME IMPALA - 'Innerspeaker' - totally awesome lp from this Oz group.

BOMBAY BICYCLE CLUB - 'A Different Kind Of Fix' - astonishing 3rd lp from BBC... makes me want to go see them on Sunday night @ B'land and, also - why have I not got / missed their 2nd lp 'Flaws'?!?

OPETH - 'Heritage' - spotted this in Rhythmic today with its BIZARRE sleeve (sorta 3D / hologram cover - just checked wiki and it turns out the heads on the tree are current band members, the one falling off has just chucked it, and the skulls on the ground represent past members!!!). Ed said it was def worth a 'random purchase of the month' - which I always do - and so I am suddenly a New Prog Rock / Metal fan!!!!!!

DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE - 'Codes and Keys' - must be 5th or 6th lp (7th even?) - maybe not of 'Narrow Stairs' stature, but still immense....

GO-BETWEENS - 'Bellavista Terrace' (Best Of) - needs no explanation!

European Fairs Cup [aka Inter City Cup / UEFA Cup / Europa League], 30th September 1968: Morton (3) v Chelsea (4) !!!