What Are You Listening To At The Moment? - Page 182 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

What Are You Listening To At The Moment?

amy

TBH i've heard of this band for a wee while but never heard the music until friday night when i saw them playing at reading (on TV).. sounded good, so i spent yesterday TRYING to download the album, only got 6 songs so far. :angry:

Your best bet for now is just to download the torrent for "Glasvegas: The Home Tapes". Admittedly it's all demos, but it's decent quality and doesn'tdetract from how good the songs are.

AWMSC

Three "cheerful" songs out of how many?

B-O-R-I-N-G

Easy to form an opinion on something if you've only got some of the facts. It's true that some of Morrissey's lyrics are bourne out of his teenage angst, but, are writers not prone to melancholy anyway? Thoughtful or meaningful songs do not necessarily equate to depressing, that may depend of the individuals outlook. I would not pretend to know anymore about Morrissey than Deego, but, IMO these are all tracks that show the lyricist to be someone who is camper than Christmas. ;)

This Charming Man,

The Headmaster Ritual,

Rusholme Ruffians,

I Want The One I Can't Have,

That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore,

William It Was Really Nothing,

These Things Take Time,

Handsome Devil,

Girl Afraid,

The Queen IS DEAD,

Frankly Mr. Shankly,

Vicar In A Tutu,

Some Girls ARe Bigger Than Others,

Death At Ones Elbow,

You Just Haven't Earned It Baby,

Is It Really So Strange,

London,

Ask,

Sheila Take A Bow, and that's just "The Smiths" songs.

Easy to form an opinion on something if you've only got some of the facts. It's true that some of Morrissey's lyrics are bourne out of his teenage angst, but, are writers not prone to melancholy anyway? Thoughtful or meaningful songs do not necessarily equate to depressing, that may depend of the individuals outlook. I would not pretend to know anymore about Morrissey than Deego, but, IMO these are all tracks that show the lyricist to be someone who is camper than Christmas. ;)

This Charming Man,

The Headmaster Ritual,

Rusholme Ruffians,

I Want The One I Can't Have,

That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore,

William It Was Really Nothing,

These Things Take Time,

Handsome Devil,

Girl Afraid,

The Queen IS DEAD,

Frankly Mr. Shankly,

Vicar In A Tutu,

Some Girls ARe Bigger Than Others,

Death At Ones Elbow,

You Just Haven't Earned It Baby,

Is It Really So Strange,

London,

Ask,

Sheila Take A Bow, and that's just "The Smiths" songs.

You missed Hand In Glove!! :o :lol:

The Verve - Forth.

One of the truly great bands who have returned with an album that trumps Urban Hymns, maybe even A Northern Soul. A wonderful bunch of songs, but Ashcroft & McCabe will never beat their first and second albums.

"Will these feet in modern times,

walk on soles that are made in China

through these bright prosaic malls,

through these corridors that go on and on"

The Ashcroft/McCabe pairing is stunning. Even Ashcroft's much decried solo work is amazing: a voice like that would make even the Kooks sound good.

AWMSC

Not sure if you are referring to A Northern Soul and Urban Hymns as their first and second albums but they are their second and third albums.

A Northern Soul is my favourite by far. Got all the singles from that, History is a beautiful song. The excitement I had about "this is music" was funny, heh, that was a pure brilliant single.

"I stand accused just like you,

for being born without a silver spoon.

Stood at the top of a hill over my townnnnnnnnnnnnnn'

fcking A, Mr AShcroft!

Mind T in the Park 2 I think it was, standing with about 50 other people, watching them arguing between songs in one of the tents. They split up for the first time straight after the set.

Edited by DongaTon

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture - Laurie Anderson

Yer Dong

Allan Moore, yer wife's a very nice woman,

we're gonna win the league for sure.

Not sure if you are referring to A Northern Soul and Urban Hymns as their first and second albums but they are their second and third albums.

Ehhh...

Aye, A Storm In Heaven and A Northern Soul are their best work, although Urban Hymns does have it's merits, and at times is my favourite album. Couldn't remember what I had wrote there. It's a mark of their class that Urban Hyms can actually be called a weaker attempt from a bands back catalogue.

And what I said about the Kooks...I meant Ashcroft's voice COULD make the Kooks sound good, not would. Even his lungs wouldn't justify some dick going "your so naive".

AWMSC