Poty... - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Poty...

I think the 1st/2nd/3rd thing doesn't help as players can pick up points in 2nd or 3rds without being all that great.

Also - could look at the number of actual votes cast over a season rather than how many MOM awards someone got.

For instance someone would have picked up 1st place for a MOM award v Ayr when basically everyone was sh1te that day. But I don't imagine many people would have voted after that day.

Similarly, someone would have picked up votes for beating Gretna or Thistle - where more people would have played well, more people would probably have voted and so they would have had to perform a lot better to win that MOM award.

Although that perhaps would mean away games didn't count as much as less Ton fans will see them. oooh confused myself there.

Maybe then, the best way would be for an independent monthly vote? Taking into account 4 or 5 games over a month would perhaps be a bit fairer as averaging it over a month will stop single game disparagies. A dire performance at Peterhead could see someone win the MOM with 10 votes or somthing like that.

I agree that if it was an end of season thing then performances in the 1st half of the season WOULD be overlooked.

Perhaps I'm looking into it a bit too much but would the results have changed if the total number of votes cast over each game were tallied up? i.e. Did Chris still get more votes than anyone else?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest midTONs

I think the 1st/2nd/3rd thing doesn't help as players can pick up points in 2nd or 3rds without being all that great.

Also - could look at the number of actual votes cast over a season rather than how many MOM awards someone got.

For instance someone would have picked up 1st place for a MOM award v Ayr when basically everyone was sh1te that day. But I don't imagine many people would have voted after that day.

Similarly, someone would have picked up votes for beating Gretna or Thistle - where more people would have played well, more people would probably have voted and so they would have had to perform a lot better to win that MOM award.

Although that perhaps would mean away games didn't count as much as less Ton fans will see them. oooh confused myself there.

Maybe then, the best way would be for an independent monthly vote? Taking into account 4 or 5 games over a month would perhaps be a bit fairer as averaging it over a month will stop single game disparagies. A dire performance at Peterhead could see someone win the MOM with 10 votes or somthing like that.

I agree that if it was an end of season thing then performances in the 1st half of the season WOULD be overlooked.

Perhaps I'm looking into it a bit too much but would the results have changed if the total number of votes cast over each game were tallied up? i.e. Did Chris still get more votes than anyone else?

:lol: come on now

Just re-read that and I have to say it is quite quite brilliant!

The 2005/06 GreenockMorton.net player of the year is... Chris Millar!

Is someone on here taking the piss? Quite frankly, I find that unbelievable :huh:

Quite shocked myself as I thought Spoonsy was PotY by a country mile. Chris might be more effective at what he does for the team, but Peter is more consistent. I don't remember him having a bad game in a Morton shirt this season.

Guest midTONs

I don't recall anyone having a problem with the over all results of the motm each week so why the back lash at the final over all result?

I was surprised myself. He wouldn't have been my choice. However, that is what this voting mechanism came up with. Well done to him - I voted for him once or twice this season if memory serves :D

Just after reading what LargsTON said, I'll add a few words. Nobody should feel at all obligated to contribute towards the cost of the trophy. I was planning on just paying for it myself until another forum user suggested that those who *want* to chip in can do so. To that end, I will be asking people interested in contributing to contact me privately (not yet, please - my PM box is almost full at the moment) so that people don't feel pressured to add "aye, me too" to a thread somewhere.

Also, if anyone has a suggestion for a better way towards voting for a POY next season, this would be a good place to discuss it. I dislike the "Who was the best player all year?" votes that appear in May because quite often achievements at the start of the season are overlooked. I was thinking maybe of having 4 votes over the course of the season, which will give a clearer picture than voting after every match would, but wouldn't be a May vote that's heavily biased towards the end of the campaign. Any other ideas?

POTY is most fair if it is a reflection of each MOTM throughout the season IMO.

People have short memories, and individual biases, but I've noticed that the weekly choices are usually fairly clear cut-somebody stands out for the majority.

That, I think, is also why Chris thoroughly deserved this after an extremely frustrating season as midfield odd job boy. I know he's not eveybody's cup of tea, but he's done more than his share of hard work.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

The 2005/06 GreenockMorton.net player of the year is... Chris Millar!

Is someone on here taking the piss? Quite frankly, I find that unbelievable :huh:

Really doesn't say much for the rest of the squad. Millar had a poor season in general, definitely more bad games than good in my opinion. Unfortunately, not many players covered themselves in glory, especially from January onwards, it would be quite difficult to pick someone that had played consistently well. I'd have picked Weatherston, he wasn't outstanding in many games, but he was the most reliable over all. Millar PotY... rediculous.

Guest BasraTon

Really surprised me too. I would've expected both Peter & Jim to finish above Chris.

Yep have to agree there also, not saying Chris was s***e or anything but he was well far behind Peter and Jim in the playing stats.

Anyone get the feeling no matter who was voted POTY there would be some that come on this board and slate them just for the sake of it. If you dont agree with it fair enough, but to come on here and say "hes shi*e, he's this, he's that" , get a grip for fux sake. Can you not just do what others have done and say you think someone else was more deserving of it in your opinion.

I really wonder what morton players have to do to keep some people happy.

@davienet

Guest midTONs

Anyone get the feeling no matter who was voted POTY there would be some that come on this board and slate them just for the sake of it. If you dont agree with it fair enough, but to come on here and say "hes shi*e, he's this, he's that" , get a grip for fux sake. Can you not just do what others have done and say you think someone else was more deserving of it in your opinion.

I really wonder what morton players have to do to keep some people happy.

I agree with that

I have a quick question to everyone querying this result. Did you vote every week for a MotM? If so you will have noticed that Chris was almost a constant fixture in the top 3 all season - as voted by this board!

Now I'm not saying that I wasn't surprised by the result (personally I think Peter deserved it) but that's the joy of a season long vote rather than a vote based on what people remember at the end of the season.

So well done Chris!

B) ScotinBelgie

P.S. Nacho, I'm interested in donating to the GreenockMorton.net trophy.

Guest midTONs

I think I voted for Chris in that poll maybe on three occasions, I can't remember voting for anyone (other than Dean Keenan :lol: ) on more occasions...

thats the reason I doubt you will be involved in the motm voting next season.

thats the reason I doubt you will be involved in the motm voting next season.

You got out of bed on the wrong side today mate? You seem a bit grumpy - arguing over nothing!

Keenan received a second place in the voting one week - not just due to me :lol:

Guest midTONs

You got out of bed on the wrong side today mate? You seem a bit grumpy - arguing over nothing!

Keenan received a second place in the voting one week - not just due to me :lol:

nope I'm in an ok mood but what pisses me off is people like you who make a mockery of something that I will put my hand in my pocket to help pay for a trophy for. If you cannot use the motm poll for what it's meant for then don't use it at all.

nope I'm in an ok mood but what pisses me off is people like you who make a mockery of something that I will put my hand in my pocket to help pay for a trophy for. If you cannot use the motm poll for what it's meant for then don't use it at all.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As if a couple of votes in games where there has been no-one deserving of a MOM award makes a difference to the end result.

And Nach0 didn't ask for, or want, any money for the trophy.

Guest midTONs

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As if a couple of votes in games where there has been no-one deserving of a MOM award makes a difference to the end result.

And Nach0 didn't ask for, or want, any money for the trophy.

if no one deserved it then you should not have voted for anyone and you're right nach never asked for any money but whilst speaking to him about it he mentioned he was going to pay for a trophy himself, I offered to money towards it.

Archived