Match Preview - Morton vs Queens Park (29th April) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview - Morton vs Queens Park (29th April)

Admin

25 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Agreed but I think Quitongo has a special impact against that opponent that he doesn't in other games. It's a good option to have - although the end product was frustrating in the first half. 

I dont think there is a team in the Championship that I've witnessed when Jai was playing....that he couldnt get at,He's a fast strong talented baller.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Toby said:

Brilliant afternoon’s entertainment. Some of my own observations from the game; Baird and particularly O’Connor were absolutely outstanding. On their day, I genuinely 

Also, Robbie Crawford’s goal reminded me of Stuart Gray’s winner in the 3-2 win over Partick in 1997, one of my favourite ever Morton goals from one of my favourite ever Morton games. 

Christ, are you old enough to remember that!

I remember it well and you're right, what a goal and game that was

1 minute ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Christmas are you old enough to remember that!

This is the one.

1997.11.29 Morton 3-2 Partick Thistle (11).jpg

Back to today's game - incredible fight in this team and (once again) didn't give that mob any time of the ball. Robbie Crawford was outstanding.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

14 minutes ago, Toby said:

Also, Robbie Crawford’s goal reminded me of Stuart Gray’s winner in the 3-2 win over Partick in 1997, one of my favourite ever Morton goals from one of my favourite ever Morton games.

Lovely post and bang-on in every respect. My favourite-ever game was our 5-4 defeat at Tannadice to Dundee United in 1970 during Hal Stewart's stewardship. Yeah - I'm that old. We came so close after being 4-1 down. Probably the best goal I ever saw Billy Osborne score.

1 hour ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Christ, are you old enough to remember that!

Suppose I should take that as a compliment, but I was 18 at the time. Owen Archdeacon also scored a screamer that day.

1 hour ago, Toby said:

Brilliant afternoon’s entertainment. Some of my own observations from the game; Baird and particularly O’Connor were absolutely outstanding. On their day, I genuinely can’t remember a better central defensive pairing in all my years watching Morton.

I thought O'Connor was poor in the build-up to the goal and looked a bit ropey in the first half. Waters too. Imrie seemed to be giving Darragh pelters about the goal as well.

In the second half he was very good. If there's an opportunity to bring back Sir Richard next season though, I'd like to have better competition for that spot. 

Sir Efe very much enjoying his likely send-off as a club legend was also great to see. Surely a spot in the Hall of Fame beckons. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

5 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I thought O'Connor was poor in the build-up to the goal and looked a bit ropey in the first half. Waters too. Imrie seemed to be giving Darragh pelters about the goal as well.

In the second half he was very good. If there's an opportunity to bring back Sir Richard next season though, I'd like to have better competition for that spot. 

Sir Efe very much enjoying his likely send-off as a club legend was also great to see. Surely a spot in the Hall of Fame beckons. 

I did notice Dougie alluding to that in his interview but I’d have to see it back again in all honesty. All in all, a good day, and it was also nice to see Strapp getting a post match applause, too.

2 hours ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

I dont think there is a team in the Championship that I've witnessed when Jai was playing....that he couldnt get at,He's a fast strong talented baller.

I don't recall Jai being anywhere near as effective against Arbroath for example. That's not a criticism of the player: it's horses for courses. 

Queens Park are set up in a way that makes them really vulnerable to pace running at and behind them. Kilday is not the weakest link in that back line and yet we know he's hopeless dealing with that. 

If we can keep hold of Quitongo and have other options to use depending on the opponent then we'll be just as threatening next season. 

4 hours ago, irnbru said:

Also, although some of the subs were enforced, Imrie making wee tweaks to the shape when they got back into it in spells meant we controlled the game. Definitely has Coyle sussed.

Also a nice wee touch getting Strapp on at the end. 

The last two home games have been decided by subs made by Imrie before the inevitable goal arrived. While Muirhead had at least one knock, it was still a big risk to replace your top scorer for a midfielder in a must-win home game. But it was entirely the correct tactical choice. After that switch, the 15 minutes of pressure from that stupid wee outfit was ended. The adjustments (from manager and players) in response to Oakley's injury were outstanding too. 

The most impressive feature of this management team (and why I'm hostile to all the belly-aching about individuals being selected or not) is the clear evidence of progression with experience. In terms of our attacking play, our tactical adjustments and making subs at the right time, we are a much better team than in the first half of the season. We might have picked up more points then in a weaker standard of league then, but there was a limited/predictable nature to that success.

The only thing that is stopping the current team from winning the entire league is that we've run out of games. Unless a major piece is removed, that momentum can keep going straight into next season though. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Worth noting that the tactial switch that helped us gain control after the only " dominant spell" of the game for QP at the start of the second half was to bring Blues in to midfield. Just like other times he's been brought on as a sub since his concussion you really see what a valuable member of the squad he us and why so many managers have trusted him. 

Does he have spells off form like any other member of the team? Sure, but he's improved every single season he has been with us and is a key component in how we play, and also how Robbie Crawford is allowed to play when he's at his best. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Robbie Crawford is at his best plying behind the strikers. He’s a wee Duracell bunny nipping at the heels of opponents and nicking the ball off them. On reflection, I think he’s been our most influential player this season. Superb today and what a goal.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

What a performance. 

Robbie Crawford and Calvin Miller in particular today were outstanding. Jai causing all sorts of problems too. Hopefully nothing too serious with Oakley and Muirhead’s injuries but looked like Oakley was probably worse off that Muirhead.

Cant wait to get up to Cove. Praying for a win for us and a draw for Ayr/Inverness!

Queen's highlights are up.

You can see George signaling his injury to Dougie immediately after he puts Robbie in for the winner.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Still buzzing with how well we played yesterday. We're obviously in excellent form and have played well in every meeting with Queen's Park throughout the season, but that was the best performance against them. We really did dominate that.

If we do make the playoffs we'll be carrying real momentum into them rather than stumbling over the line like the last time.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

20 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Still buzzing with how well we played yesterday. We're obviously in excellent form and have played well in every meeting with Queen's Park throughout the season, but that was the best performance against them. We really did dominate that.

If we do make the playoffs we'll be carrying real momentum into them rather than stumbling over the line like the last time.

I thought the first half was as good a 45 mins as we've had this season and an excellent 90 mins overall.

The roar in the ground when Robbie chipped in that 2nd goal is what being a ton fan is all about. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I didn't watch the game so that was my first time seeing it, watching the highlights. That's a battering. If we had shooting boots on, and the ref had eyes, that would have been a cricket score. They had only one period of pressure, which Schwake did well to deal with.

EOho8Pw.png

16 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

I didn't watch the game so that was my first time seeing it, watching the highlights. That's a battering. If we had shooting boots on, and the ref had eyes, that would have been a cricket score. They had only one period of pressure, which Schwake did well to deal with.

It happens on the edge of their box so doesn't in any way explain or justify our defending over the following 20 seconds, but it's absolutely wild that Beaton didn't give us a freekick for the challenge on Quitongo before their goal. There's nothing remotely debatable about it.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Just now, dunning1874 said:

It happens on the edge of their box so doesn't in any way explain or justify our defending over the following 20 seconds, but it's absolutely wild that Beaton didn't give us a freekick for the challenge on Quitongo before their goal. There's nothing remotely debatable about it.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to call that the cause of their goal. It was absolutely textbook obstruction.

EOho8Pw.png

The good point going forward, if there is a chance of going forward post Saturday, is that all the January signings seem to have settled. Millar looks like one of our best players now, and Crawford has over his early shambles to be able to do a job for us. 

Oakley being injured would be awful, he needs to be fit.

If we make the play offs, no fear. 

Archived