Match Preview/Thread - Dundee vs Morton (15th April) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Dundee vs Morton (15th April)

Admin

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

I'm hearing Dougie got himself..em..'involved' again.

Anyone shed some light on this?

The last thing we need is Imrie having to see out the season from the stand. 

According to P&B he punted a bottle into the crowd and had a skirmish with Dee's team doctor ......

33 minutes ago, Brian Skelton said:

Paddy we have 3 winnable games there is still a lot of football to be played so no its not over.

The problem is it's not in our hands anymore. Technically even nine points could be insufficient. Seven from the next nine is a very achievable target but we're banking on extremely unlikely results for that to be enough. A win today would have made seven from nine a much better prospect.

I've run a through permutations of the results through, being as optimistic as possible while retaining some realism. We're really counting on Ayr and Inverness dropping several points, and even then we have to win all three.

EOho8Pw.png

I'm sure both Ayr and Inverness still have Dundee or Queens Park to play and they also play each other on the final day of the season so a win today would have been massive. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Look at the remaining fixtures. We have Raith, QP, Cove. Ayr have QP, Raith & Inverness. Inverness have Ayr, Dundee, QP. I’d say we could do this. Ayr/Inverness can’t both take full points. I’d be fairly confident of us beating QP as we’ve probably not lost to them since about 1961. Would be very Morton to lose to Cove but nevertheless this may well still be in our own hands. Or feet. Believe!

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

8 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Look at the remaining fixtures. We have Raith, QP, Cove. Ayr have QP, Raith & Inverness. Inverness have Ayr, Dundee, QP. I’d say we could do this. Ayr/Inverness can’t both take full points. I’d be fairly confident of us beating QP as we’ve probably not lost to them since about 1961. Would be very Morton to lose to Cove but nevertheless this may well still be in our own hands. Or feet. Believe!

Exactly Albi

Big B

Even three wins from the remaining three, a massive task itself, would leave us needing snookers now. That would put us on 57 points needing two of:

ICT fail to take 7 points from Hamilton (a), Dundee (h) and Ayr (h) (if they take 6 it would come down to GD, we are currently 2 goals better off).

Ayr fail to take 6 points from Queen's Park (h), Raith (h) and ICT (a). (they're 9 goals better off than us so that's not being overturned if they win two,  their GD is basically an extra point).

Partick fail to take 5 points from Hamilton (a) Arbroath (h) and Raith (a).

Partick are managing that points total, so you're left looking at ICT & Ayr and the fact they play each other on the last day goes against us here. Catching one of them is feasible, catching both is very unlikely when we're probably going to be left needing them to draw on the last day without dropping any points ourselves.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Really poor to end up with only a point after a really good performance but the goals we lost were shocking. 

Time and time again this season we have shot ourself in the foot and it's been far to easy for teams to score against us we have absolutely no problem scoring, the other end is the worry. Schwake fills me with no confidence and yes he was good the last two games but was back to his old ways today. 

The playoffs are a massive long shot but when it's still possibly we have to keep just grinding away. 

Hate saying if only we had won here and if only we had held on there etc as every team can claim their own hard luck stories but fuck me we've had loads of them in recent weeks. Should really be 6-7 points better off.

Top 2 have failed to beat us in 7 attempts yet we aren't in the playoffs.

Sense its going to be a really frustrating end to the season, one which we need to learn from and improve on for next season.

Need to win our next 3 and hope for a few favours. Not impossible for Inverness and Ayr to draw the last game and for both to drop points against Dundee and Queens Park respectively so I guess we still have an outside chance. 

4 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Even three wins from the remaining three, a massive task itself, would leave us needing snookers now. That would put us on 57 points needing two of:

ICT fail to take 7 points from Hamilton (a), Dundee (h) and Ayr (h) (if they take 6 it would come down to GD, we are currently 2 goals better off).

Ayr fail to take 6 points from Queen's Park (h), Raith (h) and ICT (a). (they're 9 goals better off than us so that's not being overturned if they win two,  their GD is basically an extra point).

Partick fail to take 5 points from Hamilton (a) Arbroath (h) and Raith (a).

Partick are managing that points total, so you're left looking at ICT & Ayr and the fact they play each other on the last day goes against us here. Catching one of them is feasible, catching both is very unlikely when we're probably going to be left needing them to draw on the last day without dropping any points ourselves.

If Dundee beat ICT, ICT can only get a maximum of 6 points, and that would also mean they had beaten Ayr. If QP beat Ayr, Ayr can only get a maximum of 6 points by beating Raith & ICT. I think if we manage to win our three games, we need Ayr not to beat Inverness, unless Raith take something off Ayr. Of course the situation might change as we see the results over the next three weekends, but basically we want Ayr and Inverness to drop as many points as possible. And above all we need to win our own games.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

The interview just confirms how emotionally engaged Imrie is with football and Morton. The man cannot hide his frustration at conceding unnecessary free-kicks and thereafter the team's inability to competently defend set-pieces. We may fall short this season but we are progressing as a club both on and off the field.

A really frank and honest assessment from Dougie and he's bang on. He's spoken a lot this season about how the coaching team can analyse and coach as much as they want midweek but when the game starts it's on the players. The issues hes identified are the exact same issues the fans are. Was really interesting to hear him speak about the team being men, fight for each other, see it out etc. Also spoke about and aired towards players not diving in and how defending isn't just about tackling. Hopefully this informs his recruiting for next season. Can see he's genuinely gutted today and hopefully this is turned into a positive for the next 3 games

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I don't see the point in getting hung up about making the play-offs. It wasn't our aim for the season and it wasn't what we had a budget to expect to achieve. 

The bigger picture is that the most recent bout of gurning about terrible form based on cherry-picked sample of games has turned out to be nonsense again. We're just as capable of holding our own against any team in the division. Our aim should simply be to finish our season on a high with good performances that establish a promising base for next season's campaign. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

I don't see the point in getting hung up about making the play-offs. It wasn't our aim for the season and it wasn't what we had a budget to expect to achieve. 

The bigger picture is that the most recent bout of gurning about terrible form based on cherry-picked sample of games has turned out to be nonsense again. We're just as capable of holding our own against any team in the division. Our aim should simply be to finish our season on a high with good performances that establish a promising base for next season's campaign. 

That’s a fair enough assessment of where we are, as the majority of us weren’t expecting to be in the mix for the play-offs, or even the title at one point. I think a lot of us got caught up in it though when we realised we had a chance, and the likes of QP, Dundee, Ayr, Partick and ICT aren’t really that far superior to us as we might’ve thought. Did you not get a bit caught up in the prospect of a chance at the play-offs?

3 hours ago, HamCam said:

Watching the highlights is painful. Our inability to defend simple crosses into the box has been a weakness all season. You would think the issue might discourage rash challenges while defending a lead but alas no.

You could see the players were mindful of 'diving in' earlier in the game and its evident in the first half highlights

At 3-1 individuals lost their composure as Dundee went all out to get something from the game. For their Thurs who gave away the foul? 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Archived