Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Hamilton (11th April) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Hamilton (11th April)

Admin

Starting with RC on the left to accommodate AC in the middle was just criminal from Dougie. Thankfully he changed it early and you seen pretty much instantly the influence Robbie has when played as a number 10. McGrattan and King added real energy and a goal threat as soon as they walked on the pitch and Hamilton simply couldn't live with it.  Thought at one point we would go on and score 4 or 5 but not to be.

Thought Miller and O'Connor were brilliant, Gillespie very good too.

If we pick the right team, no reason we cant get a result in Dundee.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know he's a wee dick but I'd have tumilty here next season. Good fullback for this level and can play on both sides. Solid enough defensively and good going forward ( puts tin hat on)

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

The first half was spent over-hitting and under-hitting passes and generally giving the ball away. A better side would have punished us. As others have said, the substitutions changed everything and we looked like a team again. Took the lead moments later and then the two subs combined for a lovely second goal. 

I'd like to think that McGrattan and King could possibly get a start on Saturday.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

34 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

The first half was spent over-hitting and under-hitting passes and generally giving the ball away. A better side would have punished us. As others have said, the substitutions changed everything and we looked like a team again. Took the lead moments later and then the two subs combined for a lovely second goal. 

I'd like to think that McGrattan and King could possibly get a start on Saturday.

McGrattan for Crawford is essential and King for Pignatiello would also be a reasonable shout. Oakley is available again though so I wouldn't be surprised if he comes straight back in instead of McGrattan, and Blues might be fit as well.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I said to DumfriesTon as soon as the subs came on that it would change the game from the previous turgid performance, but I didn’t anticipate the palpable step change in our play. The pace and intensity went up as if the turbo boost had cut in and we simply blew Hamilton away. To their credit, Hamilton tried to claw it back but we just had too much for them. McGrattan and King should be starting on Saturday, and if Miller is on, I’d say he would maybe be better on the left. Ali Crawford just isn’t doing it and he’s had enough games to be match fit now.

Can’t wait to see the goals again. That second oone was a work of art.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

20 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I said to DumfriesTon as soon as the subs came on that it would change the game from the previous turgid performance, but I didn’t anticipate the palpable step change in our play. The pace and intensity went up as if the turbo boost had cut in and we simply blew Hamilton away. To their credit, Hamilton tried to claw it back but we just had too much for them. McGrattan and King should be starting on Saturday, and if Miller is on, I’d say he would maybe be better on the left. Ali Crawford just isn’t doing it and he’s had enough games to be match fit now.

Can’t wait to see the goals again. That second oone was a work of art.

Goal aside, I'm not sure King done enough to get a start although it was a good performance. I'd be looking at McGratten, Muirhead and Miller up top. 

Pignatiello was pretty poor though so Grimshaw might drop back into right back and it leaves an space in midfield. 

Well that was a long drive back in the rain but the second-half was worth every minute of the journey. As others have said the first-half was pretty even with Morton creating and wasting (nothing unusual in that) the best scoring opportunities but the second-half was a return to the Morton of earlier in the season. You cannot escape the sea change in our play when McGrattan and King were subbed on, they provided energy, drive and creativity - we could and should have won by more than the 2-0 score-line.  AC is clearly looking to contribute but is miles from the player I was expecting when he signed and Pignatiello had an indifferent game last night. All other players deserved pass marks but given recent criticisms, I would highlight the positive contributions from Schwake and Miller. Difficult conditions for a goalkeeper but Schwake's handling and kicking were solid while Miller put in an excellent shift, beating his man regularly and was a little unlucky not to be on on the scoresheet. The line-up for the Dundee game will be interesting. McGrattan has certainly done enough for selection and Blues, Quitongo and Oakley are all possibly available. Whatever team starts you just have to hope the team performs with the same intensity on Saturday.

43 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Struggling to remember a game with so many misplaced passes from both sides, but I put that down to the conditions which looked horrendous

The first half wasn’t one for the purists, but the proactive subs from Dougie helped kick us into gear and it was pretty much all one-way traffic from then on.

3 hours ago, HamCam said:

Well that was a long drive back in the rain but the second-half was worth every minute of the journey. As others have said the first-half was pretty even with Morton creating and wasting (nothing unusual in that) the best scoring opportunities but the second-half was a return to the Morton of earlier in the season. You cannot escape the sea change in our play when McGrattan and King were subbed on, they provided energy, drive and creativity - we could and should have won by more than the 2-0 score-line.  AC is clearly looking to contribute but is miles from the player I was expecting when he signed and Pignatiello had an indifferent game last night. All other players deserved pass marks but given recent criticisms, I would highlight the positive contributions from Schwake and Miller. Difficult conditions for a goalkeeper but Schwake's handling and kicking were solid while Miller put in an excellent shift, beating his man regularly and was a little unlucky not to be on on the scoresheet. The line-up for the Dundee game will be interesting. McGrattan has certainly done enough for selection and Blues, Quitongo and Oakley are all possibly available. Whatever team starts you just have to hope the team performs with the same intensity on Saturday.

An interesting drive home down the M74 which was awash, and blocked northbound due to some sort of major incident south of Abington.

I thought Schwake was excellent.  Confident taking high balls and everything stuck - one shot in the first half where you'd have expected him to parry it but he held it with both hands.  My only criticisms would be that he wanted to drop the ball on the ground and then kick it, and on a couple of occasions he was perilously close to having a Hamilton player get there to block the clearance; also in the second half he was at one point standing right up near the centre circle when we had a corner, always a risky thing to do especially as their keeper was managing to kick the ball almost the length of the pitch against the wind at times with his low trajectory kick outs.  However these are things that could be sorted in ten seconds by a goalkeeping coach.  At actual goalkeeping, he was excellent last night.

Pity Inverness managed to see off Arbroath, but we're still in the mix.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Also worth noting that McGrattan was instructing Waters to make the run outside before the ball even reached him too. Fantastic play all round, the run and finish from King too.

Those two should be starting on Saturday, and indeed should have been starting or even appearing so much more than they have been.

AWMSC

1 hour ago, EanieMeany said:

Also worth noting that McGrattan was instructing Waters to make the run outside before the ball even reached him too. Fantastic play all round, the run and finish from King too.

Those two should be starting on Saturday, and indeed should have been starting or even appearing so much more than they have been.

That's what really stuck out for me as well.  It gave the defender a decision to make and he followed the runner allowing McGrattan to cut inside and deliver a good pass. 

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

Archived