Match Preview/Thread - Ayr United vs Morton (8th April) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Ayr United vs Morton (8th April)

Admin

12 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I don't think that Strapp is "the best left back in the division", and if an actual football club like, say, Dundee agreed with your view then they could have paid the relatively minimal compensation to sign him last summer. They chose not to do so.

The only player in this squad who is a standout performer in his role is Grimshaw. While we added depth in January - and no doubt hoped that Crawford  would be a similar Grimshaw-level baller at this level - the rest of our starting eleven is decent but ultimately replacement- level, Championship standard right now. Who would Ayr for example be swooping for from our squad to start for them in today's match? 

There seems to be a delusion that 'because Dalrada' we'd suddenly have an excellent squad if only we had signed the right players in January. The reality is that we're performing right now at the exact level you'd expect for the quality of the squad. We're no longer overperforming but I'd take one A/B mark and one flat C grade for this campaign. 

The only credible alternative for best left back in the league is Harry Milne, who like Strapp is also considerably better than the shite Dundee have at full-back and was available for free, but they missed him as well. We have no idea if no one wanted to pay a nominal fee for Strapp or were put off by Morton looking for a more substantial one.

I broadly agree with your points about the general standard of the squad and that there were possibly unrealistic expectations about the calibre of player we'd attract in January. They all made sense on paper other than Roy and you can't expect every signing to be at Grimshaw's level.

The issue is whether we could have come closer to maintaining that apparent overperformance with better use of the players we have at our disposal regardless of the season as a whole still being better than expected. There's a reasonable argument that we strengthened the squad but weakened the starting XI in January when you look at how our form has nosedived since: 16 points from 15 games isn't just a slight regression, it's a sustained spell of relegation battling form.

You can argue people are too focused on it all you like but the stats with and without McGrattan remain both relevant and convincing here. His performances have evidently been better than Miller and Ali Crawford, our results are better to an absolutely ridiculous extent with McGrattan than with Miller or Ali Crawford, yet the latter two have consistently been picked ahead of him. I get that in Crawford's case the signing was a bit of a coup on his reputation, but it was clear weeks ago that he wasn't delivering on that reputation and accommodating one or both of those two in the team has removed the pressing which made us so difficult to play against earlier in the season.

That being the case, we're back to the question of whether this is mere coincidence or having a blind spot for particular players is actually a weakness in Imrie as a manager, is he going to learn from it and is it going to affect us negatively long term? Anyone calling him a bad manager or saying they want him sacked for it is obviously an idiot who can be ignored, but it's a credible question and it's reasonable to say we could be closer to the top four if he'd made better use of the squad.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, HamCam said:

We don't have any player who throws himself at balls in the box. From his previous time at the club, I think most fans knew Quitongo was never going to be that player. Despite my reservations, Quitongo has however something to offer but we have to be realistic and appreciate he will never be a serious goalscorer. 

Completely agree. The lack of goals from wide areas and the centre of midfield is a rarely mentioned limitation in the team throughout this season. Crawford was presumably brought in to address that but it hasn't worked out. While work ethic and defensive shape are important, the end product of our midfielders hasn't been good enough to take us to a higher level in the league. Quitongo and others are good players to have in the squad, but only a couple of them. Same goes for our current central midfield options.

Similarly, while Muirhead has had his best season for us (played very well again today) and Oakley has had a great impact since joining, they're not some obvious, 30 goals per season partnership that we can automatically afford to carry in games either. 

Those are some of the issues we need to solve to genuinely take us to the next level. We've got the basics right and do them mostly well, but the expectation that we can develop further without some serious effort and missteps is unrealistic IMO. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

6 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

The only credible alternative for best left back in the league is Harry Milne, who like Strapp is also considerably better than the shite Dundee have at full-back and was available for free, but they missed him as well. We have no idea if no one wanted to pay a nominal fee for Strapp or were put off by Morton looking for a more substantial one.

There are about half a dozen left backs in this division who could claim to be the best in the league. Strapp is one of them, but there's no actual objective basis for you to put him on a pedestal above (for example) Kevin Holt, or Cameron Harper among others. He's not Grimshaw, there's no obvious gulf in class. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

10 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

You can argue people are too focused on it all you like but the stats with and without McGrattan remain both relevant and convincing here. His performances have evidently been better than Miller and Ali Crawford, our results are better to an absolutely ridiculous extent with McGrattan than with Miller or Ali Crawford, yet the latter two have consistently been picked ahead of him. I get that in Crawford's case the signing was a bit of a coup on his reputation, but it was clear weeks ago that he wasn't delivering on that reputation and accommodating one or both of those two in the team has removed the pressing which made us so difficult to play against earlier in the season.

It is not even remotely convincing. You can update your wall chart religiously and mewl on some shan podcast about it, but there's also an objective reality we all live in, where Lewis McGrattan has been a pretty decent but ultimately not massively impactful option this season. Allan Jenkins, he is not (yet).

I completely agree that he has been harshly criticised at times by Imrie. And the Ali Crawford upgrade certainly hasn't worked out. But that doesn't mean that games where Lewis McGrattan was jettisoned in favour of 'Jaze' Kabia, Ali Crawford or Calvin Miller would have been converted into an effortless string of Ws. We would have been somewhat more balanced as a team, but the reason why McGrattan is out of favour is the same issue that all our other options face - a lack of reliable end product. Not 'picking mates'. There's no evidence that issue has been resolved in McGrattan's game yet, though I'm hopeful he can kick on and make a starting berth his own next season. 

The reasons why we are not higher in the table are multiple and a question of degrees of quality all over the park. Fixating so much on which left midfielder plays when is missing the wood for the trees. 

There’s no team in this division that we shouldn’t be able to beat. That may go for all our rivals too but please don’t make out that we’re somehow punching above our weight with the squad we have. Imrie has done very well from the start but has lost his way over the last couple of months. It’s disappointing to hear him blame everyone but himself, and he seems to have something against our homegrown players such as Strapp, Lyon and McGrattan. If he thinks the likes of Ali and Calvin offer more than those players then he has a serious blind spot. I’m hoping he’ll learn from his recent horrendous mistakes but his diversion tactics don’t fill me with hope.

As often happens the longer a player is out the team the better a player they become. Crawford failing to deliver especially in creating and scoring goals just adds to the argument about reinstating McGrattan to the starting 11. VT is however spot on in highlighting McGrattan has to improve on his end product but I also agree with Dunning that the stats support Morton being a more effective team when McGrattan starts. We just appear to be a more balanced and energetic team with the lad in the line-up. Tuesday will be another must win game but aside from any enforced changes, I am not convinced Imrie will tinker too much with the team 

Our problem seems to be the number of draws we are getting. We have the second lowest number of defeats I think, but we have drawn more than most other teams. Turning some of these draws into wins would have had us in the play offs no bother.  Usually in a final league table teams end up ranked roughly in order of number of defeats, but with us that isn’t the case this season.

I’d say Roy has been a complete waste this season and Miller and Ali Crawford have been very disappointing, but I can see what Dougie was trying to do. We have the basis of a good squad for next season. Oakley is crucial, and it would be great if we could keep Grimshaw.  I wonder if Lyon will ever be back. There is cause for optimism but Imrie needs to improve the squad in some areas. I’m sure he knows that.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Going to try and be the voice of reason for my self more than anyone else here. We started the season with the target of staying in the league and given the squad we had that looked like a challenge. As the games went on and we saw some financial stability off the pitch we were able to add to the enhance the squad and went on that fantastic run which has seen us safe relegation.  This raised expectations and standards which is great and inevitably when we don't win games/ play well there's going to be frustration- Dougie acknowledged this recently in an interview. Looking at it realistically I'd say this season has been a successful one albeit frustrating as we have had chances to cement a top 4 place or even genuinely compete for the title. We have the nucleas of the squad signed up for next season and there isn't one of them coming back that I'm disappointed with. Dougie isn't perfect but he's built a team that works hard, competes and can win games in this division. Alongside the board/ MCT etc he has totally transformed our team and our club and I'm optimistic for the season ahead and the next 5 games. No birthday caird pish of let's get behind the team etc... let's just enjoy the last 5 games with the knowledge that we will be in this league next season and that we also still have a chance of getting into the playoffs. Never know what's around the corner and us Ton fans have suffered some shit times in my lifetime. Being optimistic it's a positive to actually be reading these kind of posts and opinions.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

15 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Going to try and be the voice of reason for my self more than anyone else here. We started the season with the target of staying in the league and given the squad we had that looked like a challenge. As the games went on and we saw some financial stability off the pitch we were able to add to the enhance the squad and went on that fantastic run which has seen us safe relegation.  This raised expectations and standards which is great and inevitably when we don't win games/ play well there's going to be frustration- Dougie acknowledged this recently in an interview. Looking at it realistically I'd say this season has been a successful one albeit frustrating as we have had chances to cement a top 4 place or even genuinely compete for the title. We have the nucleas of the squad signed up for next season and there isn't one of them coming back that I'm disappointed with. Dougie isn't perfect but he's built a team that works hard, competes and can win games in this division. Alongside the board/ MCT etc he has totally transformed our team and our club and I'm optimistic for the season ahead and the next 5 games. No birthday caird pish of let's get behind the team etc... let's just enjoy the last 5 games with the knowledge that we will be in this league next season and that we also still have a chance of getting into the playoffs. Never know what's around the corner and us Ton fans have suffered some shit times in my lifetime. Being optimistic it's a positive to actually be reading these kind of posts and opinions.

Completely agree - and very well put, especially what you said about raised expectations. Also on a purely personal level, it only seems like the blink of an eye ago that one set of results could have put us top of the division. Subsequently seeing the wheels all but fall off has been a sobering experience - "It's not the despair. The despair I can handle. It's the hope I always have a problem with". Imagine how Queens supporters must be feeling right now, or how Lichties supporters felt last season. But you're completely right. This season has been a building block for the next one.

1 minute ago, SassenachTon said:

Completely agree - and very well put, especially what you said about raised expectations. Also on a purely personal level, it only seems like the blink of an eye ago that one set of results could have put us top of the division. Subsequently seeing the wheels all but fall off has been a sobering experience - "It's not the despair. The despair I can handle. It's the hope I always have a problem with". Imagine how Queens supporters must be feeling right now, or how Lichties supporters felt last season. But you're completely right. This season has been a building block for the next one.

That's the frustrating part for many. The cliche of 'so close but so far...'

Looking forward to seeing what Dougie can do with a more settled squad and stronger financial backing. With that in mind we aren't going to be throwing silly money around and with possibility of Partick, Dunfermline, Falkirk and one or 2 premier league teams there's going to be teams with better resources than us.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

20 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

I think he may be speaking about Quitongo again? He should have thrown himself  at one of the balls that Muirhead put in the box but didn't. If Imrie is speaking about him again you begin to wonder if he'll be here next season. 

I was right in line with this one at the end and thought it was a matter of failing to anticipate exactly how the ball was coming across rather than not busting a gut to get there (McGrattan was there too). Ali Crawford's was much worse in this regard, when Muirhead laid it on a plate at the back post and he had gone inside instead.

Waters' goal.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived