Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (17th March) - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (17th March)

Admin

2 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Give over. Muirhead, out wide, created twice what Crawford did from his natural position. Crawford was absolutely shan. The fact that he looks pretty on the ball is just deception: in practically every attacking move that mattered he was either barely involved or actively fucking it up.

Not saying we would have won with McGrattan - the point is one of picking players and benching players based on what they're doing. Crawford simply was a non-factor tonight except in the negative.

Off the top of my head our goal comes from a ball in field from Crawford that not many players in our squad would notice, one of the Muirhead crosses that Blues or someone missed came from Crawfords skill in middle of pitch and pass out to Muirhead, plus it was Crawfords quick feet who won the free kick that we got the penalty from and he had four big chances that he needs to do much better from. 

Not saying he was brilliant by any means but definitely feel the emotion of those missed chances and how much of a shitebag off the ball he is is clouding people's judgement when it comes to his performance being shambolic. 

Watching back parts of the game and when he wins that free kick before the penalty both commentators who aren't clouded with rage at not winning the game state how well he's played. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Dougie telling the fans to "back them" and mouthing something else.

In a matter of weeks where we lost a legend. The current manager has shown he has alot to learn and when he see it back on BBC he should be rightly embarrassed!!!!!. If you can't take a few boo boys at this level are you seriously saying this guy will end up anywhere other than Morton....not on that evidence....you've done yourself proud Dougie!!!

Dougie said the fans were brilliant in the BBC interview so maybe the person he told to fuck off deserved it.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

2 hours ago, port-ton said:

Dougie said the fans were brilliant in the BBC interview so maybe the person he told to fuck off deserved it.

Aye after he told them t "f up" and was dragged away....it wasn't aimed at Arbroath fans .....watch after final whistle. It's plain as day for all to see!!!!!!!!!!!! 

As you can see imrie is clearly frustrated....or words to tha effect was how BBC put it....to me "as you can see you manager just made a complete tool of himself" is how I would put it that's not a leader of men or a football club should behave at any level.....and yes I have led a football team btw.....and had results that where not what I wanted ..

And the down votes justify that behaviour by??????? Get a grip!!!! At least have the baws t rebuttal!!!!!    Which yous clearly have none!!!!! Bawless 3 so far!!!!😂

VTs player remarks Def hit the spot imho....not often nowadays I see ton games back to back but rings true to me fwiw

That was our best performance in a long time and we've absolutely battered them. Don't think not having McGrattan in there tonight was the reason we dropped points. We were great going forward and the most threatening we've been in a while. Inability from Blues and Crawford to tap in to empty nets costing us up there. 

But it's the goalkeeper handing out another another free giveaway that's cost us that.  He is beyond hopeless. I've no idea how good Green is but basing on his warm ups, I don't think he's very good at all either.  Tonight, Ayr's 1st and 3rd, Queens Park's 2nd goal, Inverness away, Cove away off the top of my head in which he's had a nightmare. 

That is a massive kick in the balls. Long way back now with Ayr having 4 games before our next as well. Time we play ICT, we could be at least 6 behind. Not good enough from the position we were in. Looking like 5th or 6th this season which will be so disappointing in what is an utterly shite league. 

16 minutes ago, RossMcC1874 said:

I understand Imrie is gutted as we all are and clearly a very raw interview but I thinks that's really poor that he comes out and absolutely slates Schwake, yes he has had a nightmare and quite a few this season but that's something you talk in private about to him not in a live interview on TV. 

Not saying I agree with the interview - but he probably has done it in private,  several times. He even did before the interview. Maybe he hasn't had the reaction he hoped for so tried upping the ante.

Dougie IMO still has plenty of credit in the bank, but the combination of frustrating team selection, sub-par tactics and increasing touchline rants against both home & away supporters is extremely concerning. I don't entirely agree with all the views expressed by @Nornirontons - but his point is well made and I can't really argue with his overall concerns. I just saw a post by @vikingTON on P&B regarding player quality which completely hit the nail on the head. Hunger, ambition and tenacity all mean nothing if you just aren't very good at your job. Which many consistently-fielded Morton players sadly aren't. I often wonder why long-term, knowledgeable supporters often seem to have a better handle on this than the team manager does. But hey - he picks the team. We don't.

It sounds sad and defeatist - but one of my biggest pluses from tonight was to actually sit and watch a game officiated by a half-decent referee. What a shame we didn't capitalise on the lifeline he kindly threw us.

So onto the next one. Mon the Ton.

2 minutes ago, SassenachTon said:

Dougie IMO still has plenty of credit in the bank, but the combination of frustrating team selection, sub-par tactics and increasing touchline rants against both home & away supporters is extremely concerning. I don't entirely agree with all the views expressed by @Nornirontons - but his point is well made and I can't really argue with his overall concerns. I just saw a post by @vikingTON on P&B regarding player quality which completely hit the nail on the head. Hunger, ambition and tenacity all mean nothing if you just aren't very good at your job. Which many consistently-fielded Morton players sadly aren't. I often wonder why long-term, knowledgeable supporters often seem to have a better handle on this than the team manager does. But hey - he picks the team. We don't.

It sounds sad and defeatist - but one of my biggest pluses from tonight was to actually sit and watch a game officiated by a half-decent referee. What a shame we didn't capitalise on the lifeline he kindly threw us.

So onto the next one. Mon the Ton.

I read an article recently about how manager's poor view of the pitch limits their interpratation of how players are performing. I wonder the level of video analysis available to our management team.

Regardless, Dougie is learning and developing on the job. Will be gutted if we finish below 4th but if we have him next season then we can go again

I did not watch the game this evening which is a crucial qualification. I'm not blaming anyone for being frustrated. But the last time there was a collective meltdown about drawing from a strong position, it was the Inverness game immediately before we sworded all comers in February. 

I'd be as disappointed as anyone if we miss out on the playoffs but it doesn't change a jot the remarkable success Imrie has secured given the total fucking nick of a team we had in July. I think that he is making a few mistakes but wtf are we expecting exactly from an inexperienced manager? Compare and contrast please to James Grady or Jonathan Johansson's exercises in solid, wall to wall fail. 

If we're going to have a meltdown over 'only' drawing an away game at Championship level - short of Moore's 12/13 budget and squad - then we don't deserve to have nice things. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Imrie having a pop at the fans at the end there? They’re quite entitled to be raging with that pish. 

Why? We should have won by 3 or 4. It was a good performance with bad finishing and a great keeper. Definitely not pish. 

1 hour ago, DumfriesTon said:

I am fuming with that one. Sick of this fucking goalkeeper - every single week he's making errors for goals. 

Awful penalty, then missed a sitter from the rebound. How we have not won that game is a fucking travesty. 

No he doesn't. 

52 minutes ago, SassenachTon said:

You've completely misread my post. The bottom line is that we do not have the quality to play poorly and win at this level - (we also can't miss a giant stack of chances and win). The reality of league football is that any team however well coached will play poorly many times across 36 games. That's got nothing to do with the team selection but the underlying ability of the squad.

Take Gillespie for example. He has done his job far, far better than anyone imagined when he signed in the summer. But the weaknesses in his game do not magically disappear because Imrie is in charge. Same with Blues who has only reached 100 appearances because the manager's coaching has largely covered up the obvious weaknesses in his game as a central midfielder. To be a serious contender at the top of this division, we need better players who can still get the job done when they're at 90% effectiveness. This team is on the limit of effectiveness too often. 

The January window was the first time where we seemed to be trying to genuinely upgrade the quality of the squad from its Gus McPherson-esque level. If he was given our squad on September 1st 2022, I genuinely think we'd be bottom of the league. I'm not complaining about the additions overall but there's simply further upgrading required in order to win this type of match comfortably. Look at how badly we've missed Quitongo as well, for a player who seemed to have no prospects at this level 12 months ago. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It'll take a long time to get over that one, and on top of the last couple of weeks we've given ourselves a really tough job keeping up with the teams ahead of us, but it was a really good, dominant performance. But for our finishing we would have scored 4, and we only conceded because Schwake had a howler.

It's particularly gutting because of the position we've been left in, but on the whole there's not a huge amount to criticise tonight. Getting the goalkeeper wrong this season is haunting us and we missed a bunch of big chances, that's about it. 

27 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Why? We should have won by 3 or 4. It was a good performance with bad finishing and a great keeper. Definitely not pish. 

No he doesn't. 

Yes he does. Three of the last four games he's been at fault for at least one of the goals conceded. Plenty before that too. Add into that his bizarre desire to time waste at every opportunity when we're not even winning. 

17 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Getting the goalkeeper wrong this season is haunting us and we missed a bunch of big chances, that's about it. 

That's a wild take. Who was available to start in goal for us, back when we were in our one sub period at the start of the season? 

It's a reasonable point of view to not rate Schwake as the best among the Championship's goalkeepers right now. It's not reasonable to argue that we got it wrong - that overlooks the enormous number of points we would have chucked away until now, if we had got the common or garden haddy goalkeeper our starting budget made highly likely. Schwake is quite clearly a Championship calibre keeper - we could have got another total ringer like McElhone's mate instead. 

No wonder Imrie is having a go at fans when we're indulging in such utter revisionism. 

I was very unimpressed by Schwake when he first arrived, but he went months looking the part. There have been shaky moments here and there, but it's only fairly recently that he's lost it. I believe this to be a confidence issue and not the fact that he's actually regressed as a player.

Would we be in better shape if Hamilton had stayed? I think so. Has Schwake been such a poor signing as to derail our season? I don't think so.

EOho8Pw.png

2 hours ago, Nornirontons said:

Aye after he told them t "f up" and was dragged away....it wasn't aimed at Arbroath fans .....watch after final whistle. It's plain as day for all to see!!!!!!!!!!!! 

As you can see imrie is clearly frustrated....or words to tha effect was how BBC put it....to me "as you can see you manager just made a complete tool of himself" is how I would put it that's not a leader of men or a football club should behave at any level.....and yes I have led a football team btw.....and had results that where not what I wanted ..

And the down votes justify that behaviour by??????? Get a grip!!!! At least have the baws t rebuttal!!!!!    Which yous clearly have none!!!!!

VTs player remarks Def hit the spot imho....not often nowadays I see ton games back to back but rings true to me fwiw

Calm down, Karen.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

I was very unimpressed by Schwake when he first arrived, but he went months looking the part. There have been shaky moments here and there, but it's only fairly recently that he's lost it. I believe this to be a confidence issue and not the fact that he's actually regressed as a player.

Would we be in better shape if Hamilton had stayed? I think so. Has Schwake been such a poor signing as to derail our season? I don't think so.

Without going through a coaching manual. Young goal keepers always come with risk and reward. Always error prone and comes from a father of 1. Capable of greatness and climatiy which ultimately costs you on occasions.  We were lucky the way the cards fell last season to have what was a relatively experienced custodian. Since Gaston left it's not been a position many would be comfortable with in all honesty. Never really understood why this has not been just as much of a priority as a striker but maybe next season the goalkeeper will be looked at more closely than it has in a number of seasons and we can get 1 who's gonna do us a job for not just 1 season. Its critical to any playoff or title ambitions imho

3 hours ago, DumfriesTon said:

Yes he does. Three of the last four games he's been at fault for at least one of the goals conceded. Plenty before that too. Add into that his bizarre desire to time waste at every opportunity when we're not even winning. 

That's a load a shite. He made a bad mistake tonight but he's a solid enough keeper. Don't make him a scapegoat because of poor finishing. 

If in the year 2050 a 67 year old Dougie Imrie steps on the hallowed Cappielow turf for his testimonial having retired as the manager who pulled off unthinkable miracles, having won Scottish Cups, League titles and even the Champions League, I want it to be known that I will still boo if Ali fucking Crawford is within a mile of Cappielow.

My point here being, regardless of valid criticisms to be made of Schwake, in five games Crawford has already cost us more points.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived