Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (17th March) - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (17th March)

Admin

ezgif-1-ef45de76c3.gif

Our match thread is brought to you in association with Titan Spiced Rum. The Morton Club Edition is almost sold out, so make sure you act quickly and secure your bottle now! Make sure you check out the new Titan Orange Rum for a brand new twist on a classic spirit! 

Visit TitanSpiritsLTD.com and secure your bottle today! 

Titan Spiced - Rum, Reggae, Retro.

Tail O’ The Bank Credit Union invites you to the new Warm Hands of Friendship Initiative. Join the team in their Kilblain Street office every Wednesday between 10am-12pm. This new scheme offers a safe environment, resources, advice, support, a warm cuppa and a friendly face.  

Contact us via our website or by phone on 01475 734655.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope Dougie can stay out of the referee's book this time.

Don't get me wrong, I love his passion and it's something we've not had in years (a manager who gets involved). Bit I feel that he gets a bit over involved at times.

He's been booked on the last two home games (also in the QP game. If I recall it correctly) and has got involved with opposition players twice in two games, and home fans (at the QP and Partick games)

He needs to be in the dugout and not the stand for the run in.

I was also wondering if opposition clubs are recognising this now and deliberately having a go at him.

39 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Hope Dougie can stay out of the referee's book this time.

Don't get me wrong, I love his passion and it's something we've not had in years (a manager who gets involved). Bit I feel that he gets a bit over involved at times.

He's been booked on the last two home games (also in the QP game. If I recall it correctly) and has got involved with opposition players twice in two games, and home fans (at the QP and Partick games)

He needs to be in the dugout and not the stand for the run in.

I was also wondering if opposition clubs are recognising this now and deliberately having a go at him.

Bookings for coaching staff don't accumulate, so he can get booked every week and it won't have any impact. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

14 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

If I recall it correctly) and has got involved with opposition players twice in two games, and home fans (at the QP and Partick games)

Lol wut 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

9 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Lol wut 

QP fans were complaining about Dougie "having a go at them" as he headed for the changing rooms after the game.

I personally don't know if that's true or not.

He definitely did have a go at someone on the hospitality section at the Partick game, the guy was sitting just in front of me.

He'd shouted about bringing McGrattan on and Dougie turned and bit back at him.

i'd be interested to hear why Dougie uses McGrattan so sparingly.  Perhaps if he was asked politely he might elaborate.  it's not an unreasonable question and he picks the team, but being able to have a genuine discussion about our tactics would be interesting for those of us who don't really know a lot about how these things work.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

9 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

QP fans were complaining about Dougie "having a go at them" as he headed for the changing rooms after the game.

I personally don't know if that's true or not.

The Queens Park fans present at their 'home' game were a handful of trainspotters and losers. Their account is of zero value. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

We need to see one of Gillespie/Grimshaw in midfield here, and McGrattan back out wide. A midfield with as little defensive presence as our last two games will be dominated Arbroath, in the same way they did in both games at Cappielow.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

7 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

We need to see one of Gillespie/Grimshaw in midfield here, and McGrattan back out wide. A midfield with as little defensive presence as our last two games will be dominated Arbroath, in the same way they did in both games at Cappielow.

Wouldn't mind seeing both of them together in midfield. Thought Pigniatello did well when he came in recently and would allow Grimshaw to come in beside Gillespie. Drop Blues who hasn't been upto much and could do with some bench time. Carlo likes to bomb forward and would have license to do so with those 2 sitting. 

Needs to be Robbie Crawford ahead of them too and hopefully we see McGrattan return.

Dougie suggesting changes so will be interesting to see what he does.

10 hours ago, Madton said:

Wouldn't mind seeing both of them together in midfield. Thought Pigniatello did well when he came in recently and would allow Grimshaw to come in beside Gillespie. Drop Blues who hasn't been upto much and could do with some bench time. Carlo likes to bomb forward and would have license to do so with those 2 sitting. 

Needs to be Robbie Crawford ahead of them too and hopefully we see McGrattan return.

While on balance of recent performances I agree that Pignatiello is more deserving of a place in the starting XI than Blues, Quitongo's continued absence should also mean Muirhead (himself more deserving of a place than Miller or Ali Crawford) on the right. In that scenario I'd be more comfortable still having Grimshaw at right back rather than both positions on the right being filled by players who are weaker defensively than the first choices.

It's a reasonable shout though, maybe Grimshaw and Gillespie together could combat their control of midfield and lead to less pressure on the defence anyway.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

We certainly need much more real physicality on the park - height and strength - as opposed to midgets having the temerity to chase the ball and tackle that every other manager in the division mewls about. The last game was a complete mismatch in against their rent a ringer midfield and if the same happens again we will lose. 

15 hours ago, Madton said:

I mentioned the idea of the two together earlier in the week just as a possibly but I’ve been more convinced by it the more I’ve thought about it. It’d give a much more secure base as well as more dynamism and attacking options.

5 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

In that scenario I'd be more comfortable still having Grimshaw at right back rather than both positions on the right being filled by players who are weaker defensively than the first choices.

If you’ll forgive the extreme comparison, I’d see Grimshaw performing a roughly similar role in this scenario to what Ivan Rakitic did at Barca when Messi would move inside and Dani Alves would be pushing up the wing (told you it was an extreme example…comparing those mediocrities to Liam Grimshaw). Rakitic would tuck in behind and cover that space, which is basically what Grimshaw would likely do in the dual pivot  scenario so there’s no reason it has to make us vulnerable down the wing with Muirhead as the winger.

I wonder if perhaps Robbie Crawford could maybe occupy the right-wing position though? There’d likely be a lot of interchanging going on in this system, so maybe he could be starting from there with Muirhead in the middle of the 3 (McGrattan as the other goes without saying).

Another option is that McGrattan goes on the right, King on the left, Crawford in the centre with Muirhead up front.

AWMSC

Let's get the 3 points tonight and keep pushing forward. Our record against them is mince but we need to better it at some point. 

I find McGrattan not starting again very odd. I'm actually wondering if there is something going on behind the scenes the fact he is so out of favour. 

Baird and O'Connor were solid last week so clean sheet would be nice also. 

Archived