Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Ayr United (7th March) - Page 8 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Ayr United (7th March)

Admin

32 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

You are talking utter pish throughout.

Aye you're right,you've got me, it was fucking mobbed so me and my 8 year old son just thought fuck it and barged our way through to the front of the mile long queue and no one even questioned us.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the turnstiles actually work, they can let fans through really quickly. The problem, and I was watching this happen from the queue last night, is that when a problem arises (either from system or human error) it can take far too long to resolve. It then doesn't take very long at all for the queue to back up when problems arise. Add the sub-standard queue organisation to this and it becomes a very inefficient system. It's all fine in theory, but there's not enough in the way of contingency built in. 

We're not alone in this. One of the times at Hampden recently for a Scotland match, the queue I was in was held up for five minutes by a group of guys who couldn't get their tickets to work. The idiots (who were being pretty obnoxious about it) were at the wrong gates and it took the stewards a long time to come over and point out their error. That's one of the problems with these systems - they clearly didn't consider the inefficiency of football crowds. 

1 hour ago, LargsTON said:

Is that me you're discussing? 😆

Would have been aye :lol:

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

7 hours ago, Madton said:

Thats not what im saying at at all. I'm saying there was next to no queue when I arrived at 7.25 for the turnstiles. There was no queue going back up Sinclar Street, there was literally 10 or so people in the overall turnstile queue at 7.25.

Can't comment on the ticket office queue as I didn't pay any attention to that.

Think it's pretty obvious that a large amount of people showed up to either buy tickets of get in from 7.30 onwards.

That’s a blatant lie, I left the Norseman at 7.23 and there were 2 massive queues, one going up to the ticket office.

3 hours ago, Madton said:

Aye you're right,you've got me, it was fucking mobbed so me and my 8 year old son just thought fuck it and barged our way through to the front of the mile long queue and no one even questioned us.

Well you either did that or you're a complete fantasist, because there are about a half dozen other people on this forum alone who witnessed enormous queues at or very shortly after your tall tale. They didn't spring up out of a hole in the ground two minutes later. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

4 hours ago, Madton said:

Have you checked your watch isn't running fast? Seems more than likely that you are mistaken about it being 7.25.

I’ve just checked my WhatsApp to see the time stamp on a message I sent my mates as I had just got in, and based on that I can confirm that at 19.19 there was no queue.

Without getting bogged down in an argument over a few minutes here or there, it’s clear that there’s an issue which is stemming from a combination of unreliable turnstiles, incompetent stewarding, and a rush of people arriving at the same time (in the last 15-20 mins before kick off).

Personally if I didn’t already have a ticket and knew I would need to queue twice I wouldn’t be heading to Cappielow any later than 45 mins before kick off.  Even with my season ticket I usually aim to be heading in 20-30 mins before kick off and have never had any issues.  Of course, turning up early isn’t an option for everyone depending on transport/work/other commitments so with the best will in the world there will always be a late rush.  The onus is on the club to try and put arrangements in place to make things a bit more efficient.  Back when we had the old cash turnstiles I can only remember a handful of occasions when large numbers of fans were still outside at kick off (big cup games and league deciders etc)

11 hours ago, Greacen2000 said:

I’ve just checked my WhatsApp to see the time stamp on a message I sent my mates as I had just got in, and based on that I can confirm that at 19.19 there was no queue.

Without getting bogged down in an argument over a few minutes here or there, it’s clear that there’s an issue which is stemming from a combination of unreliable turnstiles, incompetent stewarding, and a rush of people arriving at the same time (in the last 15-20 mins before kick off).

Personally if I didn’t already have a ticket and knew I would need to queue twice I wouldn’t be heading to Cappielow any later than 45 mins before kick off.  Even with my season ticket I usually aim to be heading in 20-30 mins before kick off and have never had any issues.  Of course, turning up early isn’t an option for everyone depending on transport/work/other commitments so with the best will in the world there will always be a late rush.  The onus is on the club to try and put arrangements in place to make things a bit more efficient.  Back when we had the old cash turnstiles I can only remember a handful of occasions when large numbers of fans were still outside at kick off (big cup games and league deciders etc)

We got stuck behind a gritter on the way there on Tuesday, so were there about 5 or 10 minutes later than usual, but getting there with a season ticket 10-15 minutes before kick-off really should still be enough. With the level of crowd we're having at the moment I think 5 or 10 minutes for each queue should be an easily achievable aim. 

Most people arriving 15-20 minutes before should be easy to handle with our crowds. There are simple enough steps the club can make to ensure that this can happen, including taking steps to make sure people know how to scan their card/ticket/QR code (the amount of times I've seen people try to scan a card like a ticket or a ticket like a card is annoying) and dividing the queues into 4 to make queuing more efficient.

Fact is that before the electronic turnstiles you could turn up a minute before kick-off and get in. Fan behaviour is therefore evidently not the issue, and the vast majority of football fans are always going to turn up within 15 minutes of kick-off.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

33 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Fact is that before the electronic turnstiles you could turn up a minute before kick-off and get in. Fan behaviour is therefore evidently not the issue, and the vast majority of football fans are always going to turn up within 15 minutes of kick-off.

I don't think that's quite true. There were quite a few issues in the last couple of seasons with the old turnstiles - main issue being that half of them were always closed. Only opening four turnstiles was leading to similar delays to what we've had in the last couple of weeks...with our four turnstiles. Which does suggest only having four wasn't a great idea (especially when one or two stop working). 

But, yes, electronic turnstiles are a bit of a problem in my experience (and I have to say that fans not being very good at using them is part of the problem). Scotland games can be just as infuriating at Morton games in this regard. 

The idea that you need to turn up 30-40 minutes before kickoff to an event for 1800 people at a 10,000 capacity venue where there are multiple points of entry and the organiser only sells a few hundred tickets on the day is, quite frankly, ridiculous. I know there's a handful of people who like to go and stand in the shed at 2pm on a Saturday for whatever reason but they're very much in the minority, especially among casual fans.

This is something the club could and should sort out.

3 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

Scotland games can be just as infuriating at Morton games in this regard. 

It was bedlam at the Scotland v Denmark game when I was going in - a steward was looking at ticket print outs and waving pretty much everyone through an open gate, saying “aye mate, this is you!” This sent me (admittedly quite drunk) to the South East upper corner section when I was meant to be in the lower East section right next to the entry way for ambulances, etc! A lass working security took me and my mate down a stairwell and through a fire door to save us having to go back outside 🤣

Anyway, back to our entry issues, I hope the new ticketing partnership heralds an overhaul of the software controlling our gates and that confused fans will eventually become familiar with the process of presenting their ticket to the wee slot in the scanner

13 minutes ago, Pedrodelawasp said:

It was bedlam at the Scotland v Denmark game when I was going in - a steward was looking at ticket print outs and waving pretty much everyone through an open gate, saying “aye mate, this is you!” This sent me (admittedly quite drunk) to the South East upper corner section when I was meant to be in the lower East section right next to the entry way for ambulances, etc! A lass working security took me and my mate down a stairwell and through a fire door to save us having to go back outside 🤣

The delay for me getting in to that game was a steward making everyone pat themselves down before going in to see if they had anything on them and everyone not having a clue what was going on 😂

Archived