Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Ayr United (7th March) - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Ayr United (7th March)

Admin

We need to get back to doing what we do well. Pressing high up the pitch and being difficult to play against.  For me that means playing either Oakley or Muirhead with mcgrattan and jai on the wings. Think we missed them both tonight. Robbie playing behind those 3 with blues and Gillespie sitting. Grimmy, O'connor, baird and waters at the back .I'm not convinced with waters but he's the best option at the moment.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ali Crawford consistently shitting out of tackles just isn’t what we need. Counted at least 5 times where he just didn’t fancy it. Onto the bench he goes hopefully!

The constant, unrelenting high ball to that prick McGinty’s stupit big heed was especially nauseating. He is an absolute joke. Gets sent off against Arbroath for us to miss the playoffs with a suspension (he was our captain mind), for Ayr to stay up and for him to come out 3 weeks later saying he kept in constant contact with Hopkin and then signs with Ayr could look a bit suss.

31 minutes ago, Hej said:

Also, get that war criminal Ironman hauled in front of The Hague to explain himself for these turnstiles. Another utter shambles tonight, and not a chance any non-regulars in attendance tonight will be back paying £22 for the privilege of standing in the cold for 20 minutes whilst missing the game. They're not fit for purpose. Its unacceptable that they cant adequately service a crowd of 2300.

I'd get him to personally dismantle brick by shitey brick of the walled up section, before personally restoring to full working condition each and every turnstile turfed out for his beloved white elephant. Until that £100k 'investment' is recouped to the last penny.

If he has to create those working turnstiles using paper straws and his own saliva, then tough. 

24 minutes ago, Hej said:

Get a grip for fuck sake. Now's not the time to be throwing the toys out the pram after 1 defeat.

He's an attention-seeker and quite a few of them were out tonight. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

10 minutes ago, RossMcC1874 said:

It's no surprise that O'Connor drops out the last 2 games and we are conceding 5 goals we really missed him tonight again. 

O'Connor was very poor in our last home defeat against Arbroath though. While he's played well since then, we don't actually have a centre back partnership that's going to prevent performances like tonight. All of them have been okay but will also have some stinkers. Efe is at the end of his career, Baird is playing at this level for a reason - O'Connor will hopefully progress to a more consistent standard, but he's not there yet.

The far more alarming issue for me is set-piece defending, which is inexcusably bad at the moment. For all our shortcomings this evening, if we don't chuck in soft as shite goals from that then we could escape from the game with a point - or at least aren't gormlessly chasing a two goal deficit throughout the second half. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

What's the actual issue with the turnstiles?

I show up 20-25 mins before kick off every week and I'm lucky if I queue for 1 minute each time. Never had any issues getting through them or seen anyone else have problems.

Tonight I walked up at 7 25 and queued for about 30 seconds before getting in without issue. My mate showed up at 7.30 and he was also less than a minute.

Is it just a case of loads of people showing up 5 mins before ko creating large queues or are QR codes not working for certain people?

16 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

We need to get back to doing what we do well. Pressing high up the pitch and being difficult to play against.  For me that means playing either Oakley or Muirhead with mcgrattan and jai on the wings. Think we missed them both tonight. Robbie playing behind those 3 with blues and Gillespie sitting. Grimmy, O'connor, baird and waters at the back .I'm not convinced with waters but he's the best option at the moment.

Blues doesn't deserve to play on current form, R Crawford should be there instead. Otherwise fully agree. 

3 minutes ago, Madton said:

I show up 20-25 mins before kick off every week and I'm lucky if I queue for 1 minute each time. Never had any issues getting through them or seen anyone else have problems.

Tonight I walked up at 7 25 and queued for about 30 seconds before getting in without issue. My mate showed up at 7.30 and he was also less than a minute.

Is it just a case of loads of people showing up 5 mins before ko creating large queues or are QR codes not working for certain people?

Three people in front of me couldn’t get their codes to work.

49 minutes ago, Madton said:

Well perhaps your mate snaked his way in, because both the main stand and Cowshed/Sinclair Street entrances queues were already touching each other halfway up Sinclair Street just before half 7. I went to The Norseman, left three minutes after kick-off and there was still no overall progress on the Cowshed queue. Two turnstiles out of four were fucked by the time I went into the ground at 8. 

9 minutes ago, Madton said:

Don't want to accuse you of being a liar, but you must be talking shite. I was there at 7.38 and the queue for the turnstiles, never mind the tickets, was curled way back to the ticket office.

No pass marks for me tonight. Schwake again having a stinker. Stupid foul to give away from Muirhead and then for some reason Schwake leaves a massive gap at his near post where the ball rolls in so slowly. Shocking goalkeeping. 

2nd one was a stinker from Ambrose. Got away with the header off the line the corner right before that and McGinty once again just waltzes to the back post. Scwhake nowhere to be seen.

The 3rd was arguably the worst. Waters letting Akinyemi just walk through to the 6 yard line. Question marks over Schwake again. 

Goalkeeper and defence isn't good enough. One clean sheet since October says it all. 

Too much shoehorning at the moment. The last two games have shown how important Quitongo is to this team. The only player that can get us up the park. Desperately need him back. 

Not impressed with Ali Crawford so far. Bit of a wimp. 

Must not lose on Saturday or the teams in the playoffs are going to be difficult to catch. Title chances are done with that result I think. 

Feel like a result and performance like tonight has been coming the past couple of weeks since the Queens Park and Dundee wins. This squad have usually responded quite well to set backs so I'm not going to get too upset but we've never needed a positive reaction more than we do on Saturday. 

We have a good defensive record this season but when we do concede they're usually completely avoidable goals to lose and all three tonight were terrible goals to lose and you can't give teams that much of a head start. 

Would be interested to know what date the last match we won without mcgrattan starting was. He's utterly vital to the way we press teams and its a shame Dougie for whatever reason cannot see that. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I can't really see what Dougie saw in Saturday's team that merited repeating it, not least because he said he approached that game with the idea of showing Queen's down the wings as they didn't have an aerial threat from crosses. Did he forget Ayr have the best forward in the league or something? 

We might get away with Blues' perennial presence in the team if McGrattan is also there as a counterbalance, but if you're going to keep taking McGrattan out for the entirely unremarkable Miller (I haven't seen anything from him that suggests he's as good as King even as an alternative to McGrattan), you'll be lucky to finish in the top half never mind get promoted. Even at that though, you simply can't have a player like Blues reaching 100 appearances and playing every minute of every game and consider yourself to be giving yourself the best chance of promotion. 

Whilst the recent run of home games was great, I think we were back to seeing what we were seeing from December up until the home Queen's Park game tonight and on Saturday, and even against Cove to a large degree (even if at the time that felt like it was going to be a real launchpad for us). When we come out at home and go at it at 100mph, we can cause lots of problems for teams, force openings from set-pieces and balls in the box etc whilst also preventing the opposition from getting near us, and when that works, it's great....but the problem is it doesn't always and we lack the "plan B", if you will, to respond. Look at what Arbroath done to us, what Ayr did and what Cove tried to do but weren't good enough to pull it off.  If we can't hit our high intensity plan A, we struggle. We can't get control of the midfield and try to play our way through, there's no real plan for getting the ball from back to front apart from hoofing it , and we don't create too many chances from moving the ball around quickly. That has consistently been the case away from home where we've at times had most of the territory in a game but never really threatened (only 3 away wins tells its own story, the difference between our home and away form is stark), and I had hoped we'd make moves to try to add that extra element in January, but so far...it seems not. Perhaps Ali Crawford can help on that front, but if Blues is going to be playing every minute then it's going to be hard to really address it.

We've got options within the team to change things around, but Dougie really needs to try to freshen up his approach. There's so much good about what we do, but that doesn't mean it's perfect or that it can't be made better or that there's not weaknesses within it.

We're still in decent shape, but if we're aiming to get promoted then we've just been handed a stark reminded that we've got a lot of work to do. There's no call at all for throwing in the towel or writing off our hopes, we've responded to bad situations several times under Dougie and there's no reason we can't do so again, but we are going to have to learn our lessons and make sure we don't get done again on Saturday like the last couple of games.

AWMSC

1 hour ago, ChampTon said:

No idea what Imrie is up to with the formation or team selection.

Blues should never of played as the sitting midfielder against QP and he plays him there again, he's not capable of that sort of responsibility. I'd have Grimmy there and get Carlo back at RB, hardly put a foot wrong and then Imrie swaps him back out.

Muirhead needs punted on the bench for a spell. Fucking hopeless tonight and for the majority of the QP game. His body language doesn't help either. Get Miller on the left, Oakley through the middle and McGrattan or Jai (when fit on the right). 

Absolutely deflated, the club have lost my support for Saturday at this current moment. And I'm sure those who turned up who don't usually go won't be back on Saturday either. Spending £100+ over 7 days to support them after tonight just doesn't appeal to me.

Jesus christ.  Talk about ott.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Unless I'm mistaken I make it the 27th August the last time we won a league game without Mcgrattan in the starting line up despite him only starting around half the games in what has been a somewhat successful season so far. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

2 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Jesus christ.  Talk about ott.

I can guarantee I won't be alone in missing Saturday. In these current times, financially speaking, it's a lot to ask of fans. I don't even live locally so that's another cost on top of the entry fee and that's before you factor in lunch/dinner, couple drinks. 

Why folk think it's a wild reaction to tonight's result is a bit beyond me. I was actually going to miss tonight and go on Saturday but managed to get away from work early. 

Archived