Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Ayr United (7th March) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Ayr United (7th March)

Admin

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The diamond midfield is never going to work with this squad. We got away with it second half on Saturday despite the space it allowed in midfield because Queen's Park lost their heads after we scored on the counter attack, but 3-1 utterly flattered us there as Ayr targeted that space and waltzed through it at will.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

Have to admit, Ayr know our weak spots. Baird has been poor at losing his man and playing him onside.

What's notable is that in the second half they just put a big hammer thrower in front of Oakley and Muirhead to cut off the supply. This then gave their centre backs free rein to batter the ball clear. That's the same tactic Arbroath used at Cappielow in their win.  

The bigger issue is that our midfield completely failed to win second balls all night. While we did launch it into a pretty obvious trap too often, our defenders rarely had a good option to play along the ground instead. Blues was abysmal in the deep midfield role but Gillespie was hardly any better tonight either. Their players made it hard for us to play out and we didn't match that. 

We need to go back to a 4-2-3-1 and if that means some players need to be punted to the bench then so be it. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Abject all round. Still not at all convinced by Schwake. Waters is the most basic of basic left backs. Baird was the version of himself from the last time he was with us. Ali Crawford was as good as being a man down in midfield. Muirhead wasn't at the races. Oakley missed his chances. 

Second half was as bad as we've been in a long time. It was an off night. Midfield was missing, attack was detached, defence was shaky. It's actually the weaknesses you'd expect from the lineup and approach we went with, which is frustrating, but players having off night's really doesn't help either. 

Need to get back to what makes things work, which might mean not trying to accommodate Ali Crawford. 

I think imrie has too many players now and doesn't actually know what to do with them. Shoehorning them into positions so they are on the pitch.

We all praised Muirhead (as did imrie) when he was being played at 9 and we were getting the best out of him.

Since Oakley has signed has been left exposed in either a number 10 role or playing as a right attacking MF and it simply isn't working.

Saturday should be.  

1 of Oakley or Muirhead at 9 (Oakley since he's in form)

One of Ali or Robbie Crawford in the 10 with Gillespie and the seemingly undropable blues behind him

McGratten and Miller wide.

Im making perfect sense, your just not keeping up.

My Twitter - 
https://twitter.com/RJChesh

So poor tonight. Lumping balls up to McGinty's fat heid for 90 minutes, never won a 2nd ball all nigh. tGet McGrattan back in the team and pray that Quitongo is back pronto or we'll not be making the playoffs never mind winning them

Also, get that war criminal Ironman hauled in front of The Hague to explain himself for these turnstiles. Another utter shambles tonight, and not a chance any non-regulars in attendance tonight will be back paying £22 for the privilege of standing in the cold for 20 minutes whilst missing the game. They're not fit for purpose. Its unacceptable that they cant adequately service a crowd of 2300.

No idea what Imrie is up to with the formation or team selection.

Blues should never of played as the sitting midfielder against QP and he plays him there again, he's not capable of that sort of responsibility. I'd have Grimmy there and get Carlo back at RB, hardly put a foot wrong and then Imrie swaps him back out.

Muirhead needs punted on the bench for a spell. Fucking hopeless tonight and for the majority of the QP game. His body language doesn't help either. Get Miller on the left, Oakley through the middle and McGrattan or Jai (when fit on the right). 

Absolutely deflated, the club have lost my support for Saturday at this current moment. And I'm sure those who turned up who don't usually go won't be back on Saturday either. Spending £100+ over 7 days to support them after tonight just doesn't appeal to me.

Just now, ChampTon said:

Absolutely deflated, the club have lost my support for Saturday at this current moment. And I'm sure those who turned up who don't usually go won't be back on Saturday either. Spending £100+ over 7 days to support them after tonight just doesn't appeal to me.

Get a grip for fuck sake. Now's not the time to be throwing the toys out the pram after 1 defeat.

Also, special mention to a certain steward (those will know) who during the minutes silence to the late Mr Morton started shouting about queues and telling people where to stand. Quite rightly they were shut down rather quickly. 

Get this charlatan their jotters.

1 minute ago, Hej said:

Get a grip for fuck sake. Now's not the time to be throwing the toys out the pram after 1 defeat.

What have I said that is throwing toys out the pram? I've spent a bunch of money (in difficult times) and after that pathetic showing I should dig back into my pockets? I've been to most games this season, I know there will be plenty who decided to turn up tonight for a change won't be back on Saturday.

Well that was a fkn shambles. Not anywhere near gd enough all over the park and not much better from the dugout either. 

Saturday is now a massive in terms of the playoffs. 

The players have shown a lot of fight and determination this season but that was in very short supply tonight. 

Dust down accept tonight wasn't gd enough n scud Partick on Saturday. 

6 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

What have I said that is throwing toys out the pram? I've spent a bunch of money (in difficult times) and after that pathetic showing I should dig back into my pockets? I've been to most games this season, I know there will be plenty who decided to turn up tonight for a change won't be back on Saturday.

Yes, frankly. I mean, if you can't afford it that's one thing, but the squad has - with very rare exceptions (such as tonight) - shown immense amounts of fight and character over the course of the season.

Tonight was bad, no question about it. It was not indicative of the campaign as a whole.

EOho8Pw.png

16 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Blues should never of played as the sitting midfielder against QP and he plays him there again, he's not capable of that sort of responsibility. I'd have Grimmy there and get Carlo back at RB, hardly put a foot wrong and then Imrie swaps him back out.

Muirhead needs punted on the bench for a spell. Fucking hopeless tonight and for the majority of the QP game. His body language doesn't help either. Get Miller on the left, Oakley through the middle and McGrattan or Jai (when fit on the right). 

Fucking grow up. Loser.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

I honestly can’t think of anyone that deserved pass marks tonight. Shwake shaky. Defence disorganised. Midfield missing. We just couldn’t get a foothold to get the forwards into the game and just lumped balls at them, which McGimpy easily dealt with. Some food for thought for Dougie going into the Thistle game on Saturday.

7 minutes ago, gmfc23 said:

Dust down accept tonight wasn't gd enough n scud Partick on Saturday. 

If we go back to what was working so well recently. I was delighted with the signing of Ali Crawford but didn’t realise we’d need to reshuffle the team so much to start him. E.g. Grimshaw was unplayable in centre mid and he’s been shuttled aside to make way for Ali. Change it back please Dougie!

18 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Fucking hell.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Well that really was honking tonight. We have been good all season but standards slipped massively and we were rotten we could have played all night in the second half and not scored. 

The long ball just played into their hands all night and McGinty(Mutant) won everything, I had no idea why we kept persisting with it when it clearly was not working the amount of times the ball was in the air tonight was crazy it was like we didn't want the ball and just gave it back to them as soon as we got it.  

It's no surprise that O'Connor drops out the last 2 games and we are conceding 5 goals we really missed him tonight again. They took their chances and we didn't, if Oakley scored when it was 1-1 and makes it 2-1 it's a completely different game. 

That was a massive game in the playoff hunt and we never turned up the players really need to have a look at themselves because that tonight was unacceptable. I understand we have been excellent for the majority of the season and of course it's just one bad result but it's the manner of tonight which was so disappointing. Onto Saturday but we play anything like that we won't get anything.  

Archived