Match Preview/Thread - Queens Park vs Morton (4th March) - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Queens Park vs Morton (4th March)

Admin

ezgif-1-ef45de76c3.gif

Our match thread is brought to you in association with Titan Spiced Rum. The Morton Club Edition is almost sold out, so make sure you act quickly and secure your bottle now! Make sure you check out the new Titan Orange Rum for a brand new twist on a classic spirit! 

Visit TitanSpiritsLTD.com and secure your bottle today! 

Titan Spiced - Rum, Reggae, Retro.

Tail O’ The Bank Credit Union invites you to the new Warm Hands of Friendship Initiative. Join the team in their Kilblain Street office every Wednesday between 10am-12pm. This new scheme offers a safe environment, resources, advice, support, a warm cuppa and a friendly face.  

Contact us via our website or by phone on 01475 734655.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dougie having a bit of a go at the fans in his weekly interview for being flat during the game and booing the players off at half time. 

Absolutely no problem with him trying to galvanise the fans in to a better atmosphere and calling us out for being flat as it absolutely was and I like that he has the credit in the bank to be able to say things like that which hopefully will improve the atmosphere in games like last Saturday. 

The point about the booing I felt was unnecessary and more importantly not true in the slightest as the fans were booing the referee and not the players. On one hand I feel sad that Imrie and the players think that it's the case that the fans were booing them, but on the other hand, the fans and Morton players have had an us and them mentality between us plenty times throughout recent years and I just don't think it's helpful at all to accuse fans of something that just objectively isn't true when the fans on a match day have been for the most part absolutely brilliant and supportive all season whether we are winning, losing or drawing. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

6 minutes ago, port-ton said:

The point about the booing I felt was unnecessary and more importantly not true in the slightest as the fans were booing the referee and not the players. On one hand I feel sad that Imrie and the players think that it's the case that the fans were booing them, but on the other hand, the fans and Morton players have had an us and them mentality between us plenty times throughout recent years and I just don't think it's helpful at all to accuse fans of something that just objectively isn't true when the fans on a match day have been for the most part absolutely brilliant and supportive all season whether we are winning, losing or drawing. 

How exactly are the team supposed to know that a chorus of booing at half time is for the officials rather than them?

3 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

How exactly are the team supposed to know that a chorus of booing at half time is for the officials rather than them?

They're not really which is why I said I partly feel sad for them if they think that's the case,although if you've been part of a football match before as a manager, player or fan I'd suggest that the build up of anger towards the ref throughout the half would make it quite clear who the booing was intended for, especially if the booing was jarring enough for him to notice compared to normal half time whistles. 

There's a difference between Imrie thinking the fans were booing the team and holding that opinion internally and with him choosing to publicly vent at the fans for it without getting the facts straight before doing so. The fans have been with the team the whole season and I just don't see what is to be gained at this stage of the season by publically trying to put any sort of division between us. He's got more than enough credit in the bank to get away with it with minimum fuss, I just think it was a misguided comment that does nothing to help the team, fans or our season (unlike calling out the fans for being flat which was said to provoke a reaction). 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

2 minutes ago, port-ton said:

They're not really which is why I said I partly feel sad for them if they think that's the case,although if you've been part of a football match before as a manager, player or fan I'd suggest that the build up of anger towards the ref throughout the half would make it quite clear who the booing was intended for, especially if the booing was jarring enough for him to notice compared to normal half time whistles. 

There's a difference between Imrie thinking the fans were booing the team and holding that opinion internally and with him choosing to publicly vent at the fans for it without getting the facts straight before doing so. The fans have been with the team the whole season and I just don't see what is to be gained at this stage of the season by publically trying to put any sort of division between us. He's got more than enough credit in the bank to get away with it with minimum fuss, I just think it was a misguided comment that does nothing to help the team, fans or our season (unlike calling out the fans for being flat which was said to provoke a reaction). 

How do you know some weren't booing the players??

I can't think of any obvious error the ref made to merit the boos.

Unfortunately we seem to have some fans who just automatically boo when we are losing at the break.

Agree that there was probably no need for Dougie to mention it though, it was a very small minority.

6 minutes ago, Madton said:

Unfortunately we seem to have some fans who just automatically boo when we are losing at the break.

Agree that there was probably no need for Dougie to mention it though, it was a very small minority.

You're obviously going to get the odd fan doing a short boo on the whistle whenever we are losing, but It wasn't your usual smattering of boos when we aren't winning that you usually get though which would be why imrie noticed compared to other times we've not been winning at half time. The referee and linesmen were last off the pitch and were booed the whole way as well. 

The fans were getting more and more frustrated with the officials and their decision making throughout the half which culminated in the outpouring of boos at half time. 

Anyway its not a massive deal and already feels like I'm making a bigger issue out of it than it is, I just felt it was an unwarranted and not needed comment based on false information at a crunch time in the season when everyone needs to be pulling in the same direction. 

32.gif

Have to agree with port-ton here.  I got the impression that the boos were aimed at the referee too.  These players have plenty of credit in the bank with the support and I'm sure they realise that.  No issue with Imrie mentioning it though as if some were booing the team imo it was harsh in the extreme. That Cove team are in a false position btw, I'd expect them to take at least a point off Dundee tomorrow which will make our win look even better.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

4 minutes ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

Away guide saying Ochilview turnstiles are cash-only yet tickets can  be purchased on arrival.

So am I buying a ticket for a cash-only turnstile?

This makes no sense.  It's cash only so it doesn't matter where you buy the ticket.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

1 hour ago, Madton said:

Yep. I think every club has it, in fairness, but it would be nice if everyone could save it for genuinely bad performances, as opposed to going one down in a pretty close game. 

6 minutes ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

Its a genuine question though.Have you read the away day guide?

I'll take cash anyway.

I take it to mean the ticket booth is cash only. The turnstiles will only take tickets. It is worded confusingly but that's my best guess. 

EOho8Pw.png

3 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Yep. I think every club has it, in fairness, but it would be nice if everyone could save it for genuinely bad performances, as opposed to going one down in a pretty close game. 

I take it to mean the ticket booth is cash only. The turnstiles will only take tickets. It is worded confusingly but that's my best guess. 

Yeh thats my guess too.

Thanks for your help. 

2 hours ago, port-ton said:

everyone needs to be pulling in the same direction. 

I think that's the very point Imrie was trying to make and the reason for bringing it up albeit under the false impression that the majority of the boos were directed at the team.

A better way to express displeasure targeted at the ref is a chorus of “the referee’s a wanker”. Maybe Dougie would remind us of that in his next home pre match interview.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

28 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Another thing, I think, that flattened the atmosphere last week was the absence of the drum.

I know the boys were at a stag do in hospitality, but love it or loathe it, the drum does get people going.

This was absolutely the main reason the atmosphere was flat in comparison to most home games.

I wasn’t a big fan of the idea of a drum when it was first spoken about, but it really has helped improve the atmosphere at Cappielow in recent years, and fair play to the boys that bring it.

To be fair to Dougie, he might have been wrong on this one (I actually remember thinking at the time the booing could’ve been misconstrued as being directed at the team), but there’s more than enough credit in the bank that he can moan about whatever he wants.

Heaven help someone like Gus or Hopkin if they tried it though.

12 minutes ago, Toby said:

This was absolutely the main reason the atmosphere was flat in comparison to most home games.

I wasn’t a big fan of the idea of a drum when it was first spoken about, but it really has helped improve the atmosphere at Cappielow in recent years, and fair play to the boys that bring it.

To be fair to Dougie, he might have been wrong on this one (I actually remember thinking at the time the booing could’ve been misconstrued as being directed at the team), but there’s more than enough credit in the bank that he can moan about whatever he wants.

Heaven help someone like Gus or Hopkin if they tried it though.

Could tell he was trying to make a point  about pulling together rather than an out and out moan but maybe a bit clumsy with the way he put it across. 

Archived