Allan McGraw - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Allan McGraw

StuartTon

I started going to watch Morton in season 63/64 and every game it just seemed natural to know that Allan McGraw would score and my best memory of him is the season after when we beat Killie, who won the League that season, 5-1 with McGraw netting 4 of the goals. A true legend, RIP Allan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Dad always raved about how great a striker he was.  I remember him as the manager in my teenage and early 20s.  A true club legend and ambassador.  Thanks for everything and thoughts and condolences with his family and friends.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

3 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

Let's bring the title home in his honour.

RIP

I don't normally go for so called birthday card pish but this was one of my first thoughts too.  What a fitting end to the season it would be to dedicate a title win to Allan McGraw.   RIP Mr McGraw and thanks for the memories.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Such sad news. I had the pleasure of being in the great mans company a number of times he even gave me an interview many years ago in a cigar smoke filled mangers office. It's not often in life you meet a man with "it" but he most definitely had "it".

He'll be sadly missed by all. My condolences go out to his family circle at this sad time.

"Allan McGraw's blue and white army" sung over and over at a rain soaked Kirkcaldy lives long in the memory.....and thanks for many good ones!!!

RIP 

Very sad to learn this news earlier today. 

Like lots of Morton fans, my Dad took me along to Cappielow regularly from the early 90s onwards. Absolutely got the bug, so to speak, watching his teams. That amazing team in 95/96 where we came so close to promotion in particular really made an impact on me. I think the memory of that has kept a lot of us going through some truly dreadul spells in recent years. 

I remember cycling past on my BMX excited seeing him - sat on a bench drawing deep on a cigarette with Peter Cormack Snr next to him if I remember correctly - while the team were training down the Battery Park one day. Came across as a decent, down to earth man. 

It's nice that he was able to see us hitting a rich vein of form just before he passed and that we named the Main Stand after him recently. Let's hope that Dougie and this latest generation of players can push us on to the title, inspired by the great man's memory. 

"In a country lacerated by the sharp shards of broken brown-eyed promises, in a world bent low by the burden of disease, war and the price of Thunderbird, who is left to make full account of God and Britain's depleted moral mini bar? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

Some lovely footage of the great man here, during which he recalls how he got signed, all the way through to the Hugh Scott years. For those of you who don't want to watch the whole thing - Allan's interview sections appear at;

On 3/1/2023 at 12:11 PM, Boogs49 said:

I started going to watch Morton in season 63/64 and every game it just seemed natural to know that Allan McGraw would score and my best memory of him is the season after when we beat Killie, who won the League that season, 5-1 with McGraw netting 4 of the goals. A true legend, RIP Allan

Joe Caven told a group of Morton fans that the 5-1 game was his favourite game for us.

Allan was the reserve team coach when I started going to games. Many of the players he coached would later play under him when he became our manger.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Posted by son Mark on Greenock Morton Old Photos Facebook page that the funeral is Tuesday 4th April in Greenock Town Hall with more details to follow in next couple of days. He is also trying to find out how many ex players will be there.

I arrived at cappielow in 62 saw Allan McGraw often playing through pain

I was going to highlight the Killie game

From memory it was on the front pages of the Sundays

There were so many other goals and stories but I enjoy telling people about the walking sticks getting thrown out of the dug out when the ref got it wrong

How much would he have been worth to Hal Stewart at todays prices

I hope he is looking down on the club

Thank you for all the memories  

RIP Mr Morton

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 12:43 PM, Boogs49 said:

Details of Allan's funeral next week which his family have asked to be shared

May be an image of text

Unfortunately I have a meeting that day or I would have definitely liked to be there to honour our legend, Mr Morton

Sorry I can’t read the image. Do you know the funeral schedule?

Archived