Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Queens Park (11th February) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Queens Park (11th February)

Admin

Best we've played in ages and a deserved win. Big Georgie boy is the striker we've been looking for alll season 

Still gave away two poor goals from defence leaving two huge gaps to slide crosshots into. Needs rectified sharpish. Dougie going off his rocker at the 2nd one at least shows he's well aware of this. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, port-ton said:

In a way it could be good that we've held on to a lead rather than run away with the game comfortably as seeing out a game is something we haven't been doing lately. 

Thought that starting line up worked extremely well for us. Gillespie has been great this season and is very useful in some games but our pressing noticably dropped in midfield from the very moment he came on the pitch and it allowed a decent queen's Park midfield to get a foothold in the game for the first time since the early stages of the game. 

The pressing dropped before Gillespie came on the pitch and if he hadn't been on then we'd have been overrun. More positives than negatives today (of course), but now that we have legitimate options off the bench, we need to try and do better at recognising the drop in energy and sorting it before we concede. While it might have been harsh to concede an equaliser, we were hanging on and made life harder for ourselves than it should have been by not refreshing the team. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

13 minutes ago, Hej said:

Big Georgie boy is the striker we've been looking for alll season

Early days yet, but three goals already is a great sign of things to come. I was disappointed to not see him putting another one away - the last Morton player I remember netting a hat-trick was Robbie McHugh in 2018. Or maybe 2019? Maybe someone can correct me if my memory has failed me.

5 minutes ago, SassenachTon said:

Early days yet, but three goals already is a great sign of things to come. I was disappointed to not seem him putting another one away - the last Morton player I remember netting a hat-trick was Robbie McHugh in 2019. Or maybe 2020? Maybe someone can correct me if my memory has failed me.

McHugh in the 4-1 win over Alloa is the correct answer.

EOho8Pw.png

What a result and sounds like a good performance. Gutted I couldn't make it. Onwards and upwards Morton!!!

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

That was a cracking game. You could still see our weaknesses but not as much as our strengths, and to see the game out was perhaps even more pleasing than getting ahead.

George Oakley has a touch of Brian Wake about him, can look really awkward at times even when he’s entirely comfortable, gets himself about the place and looks like he’s just got the inherent knack for scoring goals. Seems a very likeable big character as well, has the makings of a fan favourite over the next year and a bit. Robbie Muirhead was excellent alongside him too.

Elsewhere, is Liam Grimshaw the best defender, if not player, in the league? I reckon he may very well be. He’s just so effortlessly commanding and composed, at times it seems like he’s won a tackle about 10 seconds before it happens. He’s just a step ahead of everybody else, in every sense.

AWMSC

1 hour ago, EanieMeany said:

Elsewhere, is Liam Grimshaw the best defender, if not player, in the league? I reckon he may very well be. He’s just so effortlessly commanding and composed, at times it seems like he’s won a tackle about 10 seconds before it happens. He’s just a step ahead of everybody else, in every sense.

Grimshaw has a touch of class (composure) on the ball that you rarely see at this level. Was quite pleased with Waters performance at left-back too: solid enough against a difficult test. 

Baird and O'Connor are too similar for a partnership to work IMO. Both benefit from having a more authoritative figure alongside them: the two together is not working.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

No surprises that McGrattan starts and we look miles better today! Great pressing and attacking display but still making it way too easy at the back for teams.

What a signing Grimshaw has been! 

Oakley has got that bit of intelligence about him that we have really lacked in recent seasons, and was a joy to watch today. Really unlucky not having a hat trick aswell.

Muirhead and Crawford also had good games today and Jai also having a final ball at times today was cracking 👏🏻

Was a really enjoyable game. QP have got some tidy players and going forward they were a threat but were abysmal defensively. Thought the front 3 of Muirhead Oakley and Quintongo were sublime with the latter probably being my MOTM. Muirhead as a no10 behind Oakley worked well and allowed us to press higher up the park better than the Arbroath game for example. Crawford did the holding role really well too and thought Blues put in a great shift. 

Felt Imrie got the initial sub wrong. Up until McGrattan went off we were in complete control but then shifting Crawford to the left and Gillespie sitting didn't really work and we became overrun in the midfield. Think keeping it like it was at least for another 15 minutes would have been fine. Although he did sort it by bringing King on a short time after to out Crawford back in the centre. 

Defensively we are still very suspect. Thought O'Connor did well but I'd be tempted to bring Ambrose back in. 

Massive win and puts any slight fears of getting involved in a late relegation scrap to bed. With the run of home games and game in hand there's no reason why we can't go for the league. Bring it on.

54 minutes ago, Tubes said:

No surprises that McGrattan starts and we look miles better today!

This. It’s incredible just how much his presence improves the team, especially given his relative inexperience; it’s not quite Jenkins-esque importance, but I’d guess that our stats with and without McGrattan would tell the tale as well as the obvious  visible impact.

I think he’s a wonderful player who should be at the heart of our plans next season and what’s left of this one and, he can play as an interior (is there an English word for that? Can’t think of a direct one), on either side of the 4 or 5, as a 10 or even in a sort of Fede Valverde-style “free” role on a wing. We’re lucky to have him and he’s only going to improve with playing time and age.

AWMSC

9 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

This. It’s incredible just how much his presence improves the team, especially given his relative inexperience; it’s not quite Jenkins-esque importance, but I’d guess that our stats with and without McGrattan would tell the tale as well as the obvious  visible impact

League only:

McGrattan starting: P12 W7 D4 L1

McGrattan not starting: P11 W2 D3 L6

You can debate correlation and causation here as like you say this isn't quite an Allan Jenkins level situation where the team are simply a useless rabble without him, there are other factors in individual performances and team selection elsewhere in the park contributing to these results, but it's become far too disparate a set of results to dismiss it as a coincidence. We are genuinely seeing comfortable title winning form with him and comfortable 10th place form that would give a 13/14 level points tally without him.

Even in games where he's quiet with the ball at his feet, which are exceedingly rare anyway, he still brings so much balance to the team with his awareness and defensive positional sense in a way no other winger can. Worth noting the one league defeat with him was at Raith early in the season before we'd signed Crawford when he played in central midfield - we haven't lost a game with him out wide.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

First 5 minutes we barely got out of our own half, but after that we looked well on top. Their goal was against the run of play but from then on we absolutely battered them.  The energy and pace throughout the whole team was astonishing. We were first to every loose ball. Don’t know why we couldn’t do that against Hamilton & Arbroath. Oakley took his goals well and that one that the keeper turned on to the post would have been the best of the lot.

the game changed when McGrattan went off. We seemed to be sitting deeper rather than continuing to press and I said at the time taking McGrattan off was a mistake. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Their second goal was a bit of a fluke but it gave them hope. Had Robbie put away that chance when he robbed Kildare, we would have been comfortable but at least we did see the game out for once.

Best game I’ve seen for ages. Annoying to lose two goals and maybe we need Ambrose’s experience in the team, but a great day out.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Queen's highlights are up.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Absolutely delighted with that what a great win. I had a good feeling about today no idea why as our results recently have been poor but just fancied we would get the win today. 

Big Oakley has made such an impact a real poacher and that's something you really need at this level, don't think there was any bad performances everyone worked their socks off. Really wanted Jai to get a goal as he put in such a shift yesterday and his final ball was also excellent. We also have good options now off the bench which is even better to change things. 

Play like that next week and there is no reason that we can't beat Dundee, time to start looking up and really kick on now that we have that all important win the first one in 2023. 

A badly needed win but well deserved, even if the last 20 minutes was a bit nervy.

Good performances all round, with Blues being a standout for me.

Interesting the reactions of folk in the Cowshed yelling for Quitongo to be subbed, when he clearly wanted to run it off (looked to be cramp). My only worry was that he was on a booking.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Thought Grimshaw and Quitongo were outstanding. McGrattan starts and we win again.

I know Imrie brought Miller in to play on the left but McGrattan has to keep his place now. He's done nothing to merit being dropped in recent times.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

It didn't really sink in how bad QP's goalie was for the first two until I saw the highlights - but full credit to Goatley for being in the right place at the right time.

Really have to be doing something about these low through balls into the box, we get caught out every time. Their chance in the last minute where the guy tripped over his own feet was similar.

Nonetheless, great performance overall against the league leaders and an absolutely priceless three points.

EOho8Pw.png

On 2/12/2023 at 8:18 AM, dunning1874 said:

League only:

McGrattan starting: P12 W7 D4 L1

McGrattan not starting: P11 W2 D3 L6

You can debate correlation and causation here as like you say this isn't quite an Allan Jenkins level situation where the team are simply a useless rabble without him, there are other factors in individual performances and team selection elsewhere in the park contributing to these results, but it's become far too disparate a set of results to dismiss it as a coincidence. We are genuinely seeing comfortable title winning form with him and comfortable 10th place form that would give a 13/14 level points tally without him.

Even in games where he's quiet with the ball at his feet, which are exceedingly rare anyway, he still brings so much balance to the team with his awareness and defensive positional sense in a way no other winger can. Worth noting the one league defeat with him was at Raith early in the season before we'd signed Crawford when he played in central midfield - we haven't lost a game with him out wide.

The Jenkins effect.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Archived