1874-2024 - Our Sesquicentennial - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

1874-2024 - Our Sesquicentennial

TRVMP

Next year is the 150th anniversary of our club (although not of our limited company; if memory serves, that was formed in 1891 and prior to that Morton was run on an unincorporated basis.) I assume the Board has something planned for this, but I don't know what.

It is worth reflecting on how big an achievement this is. It was a few years ago that I looked at this but in terms of full-time professional clubs, Morton are one of only 20 worldwide playing the FIFA code founded before 1875. There are of course other part-time and amateur clubs taking the total above 20, not to mention the many rugby and Aussie Rules clubs also older, but two points must be remembered: nobody cares about part-time and amateur clubs; and rugby and Aussie Rules are crap, which is why only sex offenders and Australians watch them.

With this established, we must celebrate being one of a tiny number of professional clubs to have survived from the earliest days of our code through to the present day.

I'd like a ceremonial burning of some rugby shirts and Queen's Park shorts to start with, but some kind of video retrospective might also be good. Maybe some kind of multi-season membership to the club to kick off the next 150 years? I don't know. There's lots of stuff we can do. But the occasion should not pass without notice.

EOho8Pw.png

Great shout - and now is the time to be talking about it and planning what happens.  I would like to think that there could be a series of things the club could do to commemorate this anniversary while potentially making some incremental revenue from it.  Off the top of my head I would like to see - 

A reference to it on next seasons strip

Collaborations with local businesses to make commemorative editions of their products (such as we have done with Titan Spirits & Shipyard gin)

Maybe some sort of sportsman’s dinner in the town hall

New lines of commemorative merchandise in the Morton shop

Maybe using it as a new angle in the social media content (not complaining as the current standard is very good and has improved greatly in the past year or so) - this might be a lot of work in terms of research but I was thinking that across the season there could be a series of 150 tweets featuring a fact/highlight from each year of the clubs existence.

Celebration tournament on Orkney. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Barcelona at Cappielow. Make it happen (and get some young players on loan from them - Pedri & Gavi would benefit from a season on the Costa Clyde).

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Great suggestions. I personally loved the 1922 kit. How about a season played in a reissue of the 1874 one complete with the shin-scraper long shorts and socks knitted by each player's Gran?

As an added bonus - the Partick hipsters would fucking hate this, because they'd think it was a dig at the clothes they all wear every day.

greenock_morton_1874-1884-al.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 2/3/2023 at 11:34 AM, Greacen2000 said:

Great shout - and now is the time to be talking about it and planning what happens.  I would like to think that there could be a series of things the club could do to commemorate this anniversary while potentially making some incremental revenue from it.  Off the top of my head I would like to see - 

A reference to it on next seasons strip

Collaborations with local businesses to make commemorative editions of their products (such as we have done with Titan Spirits & Shipyard gin)

Maybe some sort of sportsman’s dinner in the town hall

New lines of commemorative merchandise in the Morton shop

Maybe using it as a new angle in the social media content (not complaining as the current standard is very good and has improved greatly in the past year or so) - this might be a lot of work in terms of research but I was thinking that across the season there could be a series of 150 tweets featuring a fact/highlight from each year of the clubs existence.

I just thought it was appropriate to resurrect this thread now that the 2023-2024 season approaches. It'll be here before we've had time to draw breath. A massive milestone for the club, and we shouldn't let it pass uncelebrated. I 100% stick to my 1874 retro kit suggestion. It would make Morton the most instantly-recognisable team in global fitba :) Joking aside - just red socks as a 'tip of the hat' to the glorious history of The Famous.

Archived