Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Arbroath (28th January) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Arbroath (28th January)

Admin

I'd be very nervous about the amount of times they're overrunning King's side of the defence. That luck won't hold.

With Pigniatello offering nothing going forward I'd be switching to a back 3 and have Grimshaw/King as wing backs. Unless we get a couple more goals, this setup is unlikely to get us to three points. 

Edit: Or have King in midfield and Miller on the left instead. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye, King's had a very difficult game so far and we can't keep tempting fate. Better teams than Arbroath (basically anyone) will have a field day if we play like that, but for now I'd see it through to half time before changing.

O'Connor giving that number 3 a free header then (I think?) appealing as if he'd been leapt on... not clever.

EOho8Pw.png

This is shockingly bad. Arbroath running through us. Clueless.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

No wins in 5 league games.

2 points out of 15 available.

First time I feel like there is real pressure on Dougie imrie.

While we all agreed that we needed another number 9 to support Muirhead I think signing 3 new forward players (Oakley,Roy and miller) was not the best use of the funds we have available.  

We are very clearly light in CM because once one of the 3 starters comes out we don't have anyone of quality to replace them. I think we really should have looked to get a CM in on loan rather than Ally Roy which right now is a signing I don't understand given we have 6 other players who can play wide (Jai, Lewis, Robbie, Miller, King and Garrity) 

Hopefully we know go and get a CM  before the window closes but I reckon we will instead look to strapp at LB due to his injury.

Im making perfect sense, your just not keeping up.

My Twitter - 
https://twitter.com/RJChesh

Not often you see us bullied like that. Got exactly what we deserved. 

Arbroath only 9 points behind us now so we really need to get the finger out. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Dire. Totally overrun in the second half. 

I was optimistic about King coming back in but he really struggled. The three changes to the back four didn't help, but the midfield weren't in it in the second half. Still worried about Miller, and the dive was embarrassing. 

More importantly I hope whoever is involved in the medical emergency during the game is okay. Sounded quite serious judging by the tannoy announcements. Thoughts are with them. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

I'd be very nervous about the amount of times they're overrunning King's side of the defence. That luck won't hold.

With Pigniatello offering nothing going forward I'd be switching to a back 3 and have Grimshaw/King as wing backs. Unless we get a couple more goals, this setup is unlikely to get us to three points. 

^^^ fact-based analysis

The lack of confidence spread through the team like the plague in the second half - and no wonder. Pigniatello is just out of his depth at this level and was treating the ball like a live grenade. King at least started the move for our goal by winning a high ball he was 30-70 to get to through determination, but his performance quickly went downhill from there. That left us effectively playing with nine reliable players, and then fewer as we made no progress and the heads dropped.  Grimshaw was the only player who showed quality but he was making inexplicable errors by the end too.

You need to take players who are having a stinker off the pitch. That should be the lesson that Imrie has to take from that game. 

While the midfield barely won a second ball, it's also notable that there was a literally enormous gulf in physicality between them and Arbroath's. We cannot have a bunch of wee runners and then not press effectively. 

The surplus of hammer-throwers* also meant that Arbroath worked out that they could use one to block or mark Oakley and a spare to sweep up every single high ball in the second half. 

*in the Sir David Irons mould 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

That disintegrated into hoofball. We couldn’t pass, tackle, control the ball, never mind put pressure on Gaston. Arbroath were allowed to bully us. King was poor today at LB but it was our midfield that really let us down. Toothless up front and no decent service to our strikers. Why was Efe left out? That’s 3 league defeats in a row, 2 against the bottom two sides. Maybe we’ll start playing again when we play the teams now above us. Glad I didn’t travel to this one.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

25 minutes ago, Chesh said:

We are very clearly light in CM because once one of the 3 starters comes out we don't have anyone of quality to replace them. 

We don't have someone to replace Gillespie in his specific midfield role without compromising another part of the team. We could absolutely replace Blues on current form, because I'm not seeing any quality there right now.

Crawford wouldn't be far behind either - he has been quiet for some time. 

Miller needs to show a better attitude because the commitment to win challenges wasn't there often enough and the dive summed that up. 

Just now, Alibi said:

That disintegrated into hoofball. We couldn’t pass, tackle, control the ball, never mind put pressure on Gaston. Arbroath were allowed to bully us. King was poor today at LB but it was our midfield that really let us down. 

Not buying that tbh - the midfield was very poor but the full-backs were absolutely the most important cause of that defeat. In the first half all the space going forward was in the full-back position: which we could do nothing with to build on our lead  The equaliser was a combination of atrocious full back play and the second comes from Pigniatello doing nothing at all to stop the play developing all the way to the edge of our box. 

We certainly weren't likely to win with both dreadful full back play and a midfield that was second best. 

Archived