Match Preview/Thread - Celtic vs Morton (21st January) - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Celtic vs Morton (21st January)

Admin

Our match thread is brought to you in association with Titan Spiced Rum. The Morton Club Edition is almost sold out, so make sure you act quickly and secure your bottle now! Make sure you check out the new Titan Orange Rum for a brand new twist on a classic spirit! 

Visit TitanSpiritsLTD.com and secure your bottle today! 

Titan Spiced - Rum, Reggae, Retro.

Join the community.jpg

Tail O’ The Bank Credit Union invites you to “KICK JANUARY’S BILLS”

Make sorting your finances a New Year’s resolution! We are here to help, so let's Kick January’s Bills and get financially fit! With Blue Monday on its way and credit cards bills from Christmas about to drop, it’s the perfect time to have a chat with our team and consider if one of our loans could benefit you this year. We’re here to help with low cost loans that best the banks!

Contact us via our website or by phone on 01475 734655.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be looking at a 532 for this 

Schwake

Grimshaw Ambrose Baird O'Connor Strapp

Gillespie Blues Crawford 

Quitongo   Muirhead

That's exactly the team and system I would go with however I don't know if Dougie will change the system for such a big game. 

I would almost be telling the players to long ball more often and get Jai running in behind as I think he could cause Celtic some problems, if we try to play in the midfield with Celtic they will run over the top of us. 

We have been well off it the past few games and this game probably comes at the worst time but anything can happen in the cup. 

Robbie Muirhead please to score a worldie and give it to the whole of Parkhead would be magic thanks. 

Not sure Blues is the best option for central midfield.  Been a bit anonymous recently.  Mind you could say the same about Muirhead.  We'll need to be at our best for this one.  I never watch top division football but I assume they will be faster, stronger. more skilful and a lot better paid than us, so we may just squeeze through with a penalty in extra time.  Better still Robbie Murhead gets taken over by the ghost of Per Bartram* and we're three up after ten minutes.

* Just checked and he's still alive, having just turned 79 - also discovered from Wiki that he and I were both born on the 8th of January.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

5 hours ago, irnbru said:

Would be looking at a 532 for this 

Schwake

Grimshaw Ambrose Baird O'Connor Strapp

Gillespie Blues Crawford 

Quitongo   Muirhead

I can certainly understand the temptation to go with 5 at the back. It would add a bit of height to the team, and give an extra man to defend in the box. I can also see how this might work against us. Stopping them from breaking in between the lines will be every bit as important as defending the box, and if they are playing all about us, we might end up with having too many too deep confusing things in the box. I don't envy Imrie having to prep for this one. The details, and getting everyone to do play their roles, will be vital. I think there probably needs to be 4 or 5 in midfield to cope with the movement of the opposition. So a 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 for me (although, as I said, the details are more important than the shape). A defensive 4-4-2 could work as well, where the front two are so deep they are as much a part of the midfield, but I don't know if we have 2 who could press from the front like that. Whatever way we line up, we can't shore up every comparative weakness. 

I'm not sure if this is the game for Muirhead to start. Quitongo would hopefully be a bit of a nuisance (Muirhead to come on whenever Quitongo looks like he's going to get sent off). 

30 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I can certainly understand the temptation to go with 5 at the back. It would add a bit of height to the team, and give an extra man to defend in the box. I can also see how this might work against us. Stopping them from breaking in between the lines will be every bit as important as defending the box, and if they are playing all about us, we might end up with having too many too deep confusing things in the box. I don't envy Imrie having to prep for this one. The details, and getting everyone to do play their roles, will be vital. I think there probably needs to be 4 or 5 in midfield to cope with the movement of the opposition. So a 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 for me (although, as I said, the details are more important than the shape). A defensive 4-4-2 could work as well, where the front two are so deep they are as much a part of the midfield, but I don't know if we have 2 who could press from the front like that. Whatever way we line up, we can't shore up every comparative weakness. 

I'm not sure if this is the game for Muirhead to start. Quitongo would hopefully be a bit of a nuisance (Muirhead to come on whenever Quitongo looks like he's going to get sent off). 

I agree with the Muirhead notion. The issue you have is that he's probably the likeliest to pull off the spectacular from a set piece or just doing Muirhead things. However, Quitongo would cause any defender in this country issues. I could see us going with a front two, maybe Muirhead playing behind more as a CAM. 

Schwake

Grimshaw Efe Darragh Baird Strapp

Crawford Gillespie McGrattan/King

Muirhead

Quitongo

Wouldn't be the worse team to use. Whenever I watch highlights of Celtic games they're absolutely terrifying at cutting teams apart with off the ball runs. The obvious is to stop them playing their game and hoping we can spark some problems. If anyone can do it, it's Dougie. 

If it’s the same formation then King on the left, McGrattan in for Blues and Pignatiello on the right. It’s one thing persisting with players who aren’t good enough for our level in the league, another again to try and survive at Parkhead with them. Carlo will bring much more discipline and awareness, help Grimshaw out and also help us keep possession rather than just charging headlong into the nearest defender. 

If it’s a 5 at the back, I’d be inclined to have Gillespie, Crawford and McGrattan/King with the other of those two with a bit of freedom to go and support Muirhead, and dropping back to a midfield 4 when required.

Closing down spaces is going to be the order of the day for the most part, and when we have the ball we’re going to need to keep it and pick our moments to get forward. It would really have been helpful if we could have signed a decent right-sided option instead of Miller and Roy, so in the absence of that I’d rather have the more solid, composed presence of Pignatiello than the alternatives.

AWMSC

I can see the argument for a back five, but I think to some extent that plays into Celtic's hands. This comes with the obvious caveat that if Celtic are on form they're realistically going to play through us anyway, but if you sit off and try to do nothing but defend your box against this Celtic team then they are going to find the gaps and pick you off. Any domestic games they've struggled in this season have been against teams pressing them in midfield and denying them time on the ball: not dissimilar to our usual style of play.

You absolutely want it being more 4-5-1 than 4-3-3 and our best defensive wingers on the park - that's clearly McGrattan and Quitongo - while you'd want to not be quite so gung-ho with pressing the opposition defence on the edge of their box as opposed to in the middle third of the pitch, but our midfield should pretty much play their usual game here. There's a stupidly high likelihood of either approach resulting in the game being done by half-time, but that's our only hope of rattling them.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

That is a fucking awful decision.  His arm is behind him in a natural position and it deflects onto him.  There is no intent, the arm is in a natural position and Celtic benefit from the deflection.  I am genuinely scunnered by it.  Second goal was Efe of old.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

Just now, TAFKAC said:

That is a fucking awful decision.  His arm is behind him in a natural position and it deflects onto him.  There is no intent, the arm is in a natural position and Celtic benefit from the deflection.  I am genuinely scunnered by it.  Second goal was Efe of old.

First goal definitely led to the second to an extent. Efe normally makes mistakes when he feels under pressure.

Mon the Ton

Archived