Match Preview/Thread - Hamilton vs Morton (14th January) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Hamilton vs Morton (14th January)

Admin

Absolutely honking today. We cannot keep harping on about referee decisions going against us and turn in performances like that.  We deserved nothing from the game. Yes the referee was awful but that's only part of it. Blues and Muirhead have went back to their form of old, efe had a few dodgy moments, Roy was poor. Last 2 games we have lacked real urgency and threat going forward and it needs to be addressed.  Shake up the midfield 3 and get Quitongo and McGrattan back in the starting 11. We are also crying out for another alternative to Muirhead up front.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor performance - whether  or not their PK was as soft as it seemed at the time, and whether or not there was any merit in our penalty shouts, that just wasn’t good enough.

Once again the midfield looked well off the pace, and we offered little going forward until Quitongo and King came on.

Could easily have been losing by 3 or more goals today if it weren’t for some last ditch tackles as well as some good saves by Schwake.

We started to play with a bit more urgency in the last 5-10 mins and might have nicked a goal at the end, but it would have been more than we deserved.

On the bright side, at least the other teams dropped points today.  Hopefully once we get the cup game out the way we can start to get our season back on track.  

I’m not going to write off Miller & Roy yet, but it’s clear that we need to bring in players that will strengthen our starting XI.  So far that doesn’t look to be the case with either of them, so hopefully we have another couple of signings in the pipeline.

Its just occurred to me that I could have pretty much copied and pasted my thoughts on the Partick game last week as it was a pretty similar performance IMO.

Utterly rotten today. Their penalty decision was mental and he gave us absolutely nothing all day. 

Imrie needs to take a lot of the blame today. Team selection all wrong. McGrattan must start going forward. It's so obvious what we are missing when he does not play. Subs were all wrong too other than Roy who looked ineffective. 

We really need another central midfield option because we cannot go the rest of the season with Gillespie, Blues and Crawford playing the 90 minutes every week. 

Every other team drawing makes the loss not as sore but what a missed opportunity that is. Arbroath becoming a bit of a must win.

27 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

I get Strapp possibly being a risk of a yellow as well, but Gillespie was also having a shocker for the second game running while Strapp was our only attacking outlet out wide.

Aye, I’d have to have kept Strapp one too but I can understand the thinking…to a point. The risk of him getting a second yellow was one that was worth taking, rather than removing maybe our best player and leaving Blues and Miller on the pitch. 

Gillespie wasn’t having a great time of it but in his defence he wasn’t getting much help either and was back to having spaces all round him like was the case before McGrattan came into the team. We can just about get away with Blues when McGrattan is there to make up for him, or if we have Ian Wilson in the team to do the work of two, but without either of those things we’re simply not going to be able to do very well with him there. If Imrie is going to keep refusing to acknowledge that and put McGrattan or King into that position, performances like the last two will keep happening.

AWMSC

Didn't think Miller was as bad as some are saying today. Actually thought he looked quite dangerous at times and put in a shift. 

Roy looked totally lost though and meant the team didn't have a shape and too many players getting dragged into gaps he left. I can't really comment on whether he's any good as a player since he wasn't on the ball much but on that performance he should be behind Quitongo and McGratten. A bit worrying to hear Dougie say he was great. And just as worrying he played him there when he said himself he was signed to play through the middle. 

Poor performance but we did have a lot of good chances in the end and lost to a dodgy penalty so not all bad but that's the worst result of the season. 

Hopefully it shows we need another couple in if we want playoffs. 

I wasn't at the game, weather put me off greatly doubled up with a mild hangover. However, I'm still willing to give Roy a chance, there's been a few of Imrie's signings that have had a poor first few games and grown into it. I imagine he's only joined up in the past couple days and Imrie was at fault for starting him over already settled players in Quitongo and McGrattan. I expected Jai on the bench today just after the way he went off last week, potentially a precaution there?

We are now 5 without a win and that's really shite against a poor Hamilton side. We can't keep blaming the ref we need to take the responsibility on ourselves. Muirhead has been rank the past few games and we can't keep thinking that he might pull out a bit or magic to win us the game. 

We have been decent this season but our form has fallen off a cliff and no matter what way you look at it the league game against Arbroath is a must win, get King in for blues and McGrattan in for Miller and let's actually start making changes rather than just stick with what we have which isn't working. 

The comments about Roy on P & B from supporters of other teams with experience of him have been incredibly disconcerting in terms of their unanimous warnings and condemnation. What's even more disconcerting to me is that Dougie has then elected to throw him in to a starting XI (recent poor run not withstanding) which was more or less tried & tested, but with virtually no knowledge about how he'd integrate into the shape of the game we play - there's been literally no time for that to happen. I feel that dropping Jai (who's at least been proven to harrass defences) was a mistake, along a few other questionable starting-sheet choices. I keep watching young King's stunning Maradona-style goal and struggle to imagine why he's at least not being brought on at the 60-70 minute mark, even as a last-gasp punt when the chips are down. It's those 30-second flashes of brilliance which can often win games - and the boy's proved that he can pull things like that out of the hat.

The most disconcerting thing of all, though - is the fear that Roy's been signed because he was simply the most glistening turd on a pile of steaming shite, and that he was the only option available. Maybe Dougie's wry non-poker-face smile during the pre-match interview was for this reason, not the reason we were all hoping for. It's all too easy for us to hail the man as a saint when things are going swimmingly - but he's human, and he'll occasionally fuck up just like the rest of us. He's in his first-ever managerial role and he's still learning, so cutting the man some slack when things don't pan out is the least we can do as long-time supporters. But what a manager he's proving to be so far, and I still feel that we're so, so lucky to have him.

Whilst I 100% take the point of other forum members about the ridiculous amount time we've spent playing away from Cappielow, I would respectfully disagree that this has been a factor over recent games. If a team's good enough - they'll sword their opponents anywhere in Scotland. Home, away - it doesn't matter. You're either better than the other team ...... or you're not. The geographical location of the grass you play on shouldn't matter.

We all know that the Championship's a league like no other, with the outcome of every single game seemingly being impossible to predict. Results like this one today, however (as someone said on here awhile ago) have the ability to plunge you into the depths of despair and totally fuck up your entire week. I can't be the only one on here who was in raptures about starting an all-too-recent game with us in 4th, and with a mathematical chance of going top. Today - that seems like ancient history. But hey - that's football, that's what it's like being a Morton supporter., and on reflection - that's what it's like being a supporter of every other team on the planet. Good times, bad times. I take comfort from the fact that Queens and Ayr both dropped points today, so the gap hasn't been extended to unattainable levels. Plus - we have games in hand, so a turnaround is still possible on some distant horizon providing we get our act back together.

Keep the faith, boys. Mon the Ton.

2 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

Aye, I’d have to have kept Strapp one too but I can understand the thinking…to a point. The risk of him getting a second yellow was one that was worth taking, rather than removing maybe our best player and leaving Blues and Miller on the pitch. 

Gillespie wasn’t having a great time of it but in his defence he wasn’t getting much help either and was back to having spaces all round him like was the case before McGrattan came into the team. We can just about get away with Blues when McGrattan is there to make up for him, or if we have Ian Wilson in the team to do the work of two, but without either of those things we’re simply not going to be able to do very well with him there. If Imrie is going to keep refusing to acknowledge that and put McGrattan or King into that position, performances like the last two will keep happening.

The left hand side of the defence seemes to be our weak point so I can understand the changes being made. Everytime accies got in it was down that side.

6 minutes ago, SassenachTon said:

The comments about Roy on P & B from supporters of other teams with experience of him have been incredibly disconcerting in terms of their unanimous warnings and condemnation. What's even more disconcerting to me is that Dougie has then elected to throw him in to a starting XI (recent poor run not withstanding) which was more or less tried & tested, but with virtually no knowledge about how he'd integrate into the shape of the game we play - there's been literally no time for that to happen. I feel that dropping Jai (who's at least been proven to harrass defences) was a mistake, along a few other questionable starting-sheet choices. I keep watching young King's stunning Maradona-style goal and struggle to imagine why he's at least not being brought on at the 60-70 minute mark, even as a last-gasp punt when the chips are down. It's those 30-second flashes of brilliance which can often win games - and the boy's proved that he can pull things like that out of the hat.

The most disconcerting thing of all, though - is the fear that Roy's been signed because he was simply the most glistening turd on a pile of steaming shite, and that he was the only option available. Maybe Dougie's wry non-poker-face smile during the pre-match interview was for this reason, not the reason we were all hoping for. It's all too easy for us to hail the man as a saint when things are going swimmingly - but he's human, and he'll occasionally fuck up just like the rest of us. He's in his first-ever managerial role and he's still learning, so cutting the man some slack when things don't pan out is the least we can do as long-time supporters. But what a manager he's proving to be so far, and I still feel that we're so, so lucky to have him.

Whilst I 100% take the point of other forum members about the ridiculous amount time we've spent playing away from Cappielow, I would respectfully disagree that this has been a factor over recent games. If a team's good enough - they'll sword their opponents anywhere in Scotland. Home, away - it doesn't matter. You're either better than the other team ...... or you're not. The geographical location of the grass you play on shouldn't matter.

We all know that the Championship's a league like no other, with the outcome of every single game seemingly being impossible to predict. Results like this one today, however (as someone said on here awhile ago) have the ability to plunge you into the depths of despair and totally fuck up your entire week. I can't be the only one on here who was in raptures about starting an all-too-recent game with us in 4th, and with a mathematical chance of going top. Today - that seems like ancient history. But hey - that's football, that's what it's like being a Morton supporter., and on reflection - that's what it's like being a supporter of every other team on the planet. Good times, bad times. I take comfort from the fact that Queens and Ayr both dropped points today, so the gap hasn't been extended to unattainable levels. Plus - we have games in hand, so a turnaround is still possible on some distant horizon providing we get our act back together.

Keep the faith, boys. Mon the Ton.

I trust Dougies judgement and I'd be shocked if he signed Roy as the 'glistening turd'

15 minutes ago, SassenachTon said:

If it "doesn't matter" then why do the overwhelming majority of professional teams have a better record in home games than away from home in any given season? 

Football is a low-scoring game and so small differences have an oversized impact. Home advantage doesn't turn a team into world-beaters, but whether it is knowledge of the local conditions (see Gayfield), the shiter of a pitch or plain homer bias from dung referees, those are the differences between a poor performance and a draw, and a rancid performance and a defeat. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

For their penalty it looked as if the referee had given Morton a free kick as he pointed upfield. Then he seemed to change his mind. I’d like to know what the fuck he was doing. Until their goal I felt we had the better of the play but we make so many stupid mistakes and that let them get some traction.  Grimshaw was involved in most of our attacks down the right and put in a power of work, but others were way off the pace. I’d end Roy’s loan right now. I’d also bring Mcgrattan back in as without him we are toothless. Dougie needs to look back to what we were doing when we were winning. The recent changes have apparently weakened the team, though Miller I think may offer something once he gels.

All is not lost. We have home games to catch up on, but we need to stop dropping points. Let’s assume today was just a bad day at the office. We could have won that with the chances created in the last ten minutes but we need to take those chances. I’d like to see us take eleven off these mutants when they come to Cappielow.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

We had the majority of the play and done heehaw with it. We either played the ball from side to side or launched aimless balls up to the Hamilton third. Not good enough or effective. 

@vikingTON As said in my post, I 100% accept the point and I also respectfully take your opinion on board. A pile of vocal home supporters plus a ground that a team's familar with obviously has a bearing on the potential outcome of a result. But the fact remains that a Lamborghini is always going to outrun a Ford Transit. No matter what track the race is run on.

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

We had the majority of the play and done heehaw with it. We either played the ball from side to side or launched aimless balls up to the Hamilton third. Not good enough or effective. 

It was the 88th minute before we started properly penetrating and by that time it was far too late.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

It was the 88th minute before we started properly penetrating and by that time it was far too late.

Thought it was a bit earlier and that and we probably had more chances but agree it was far too late and don't think we ad the majority of play. 

3 hours ago, SassenachTon said:

@vikingTON As said in my post, I 100% accept the point and I also respectfully take your opinion on board. A pile of vocal home supporters plus a ground that a team's familar with obviously has a bearing on the potential outcome of a result. But the fact remains that a Lamborghini is always going to outrun a Ford Transit. No matter what track the race is run on.

Utter nonsense. A drag race between two cars is far closer to a dung, high-scoring game like basketball. The variables really don't matter much, because the general gap in ability is demonstrated over 200+ points every game.

Football is not and never has been that sport. One single goal was recorded today, that could have been provided by a dodgy penalty for Hamilton, or alternatively the ball hitting the arse of their defender and going in their own net. In 2013 the worst full-time side in the history of Scottish football rocked up to Celtic Park and won 1-0. Which was the Lamborghini and which was the Ford Transit in your gubbins analogy (hint: Jonathan Page and Nicolas Caraux will never be international quality footballers). 

Any predictable minor variation significantly shifts the win probability of a game of football. And if you think that's not true, then try winning your fortune betting against the bookies, who generously price up away wins compared to home wins across every professional market. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

That’s shocking.  Is that the standard of refereeing we are expected to accept?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived