Match Preview/Thread - Raith Rovers vs Morton (23rd December) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Raith Rovers vs Morton (23rd December)

Admin

Raith's highlights are up.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a bit disappointing that Kabia for McGrattan is still the only sub we're making, and if the attack isn't clicking we just swap Muirhead and Quitongo. We did the latter at Arbroath as well and it only leads to both making less of a contribution in possession while making us weaker defensively. I don't think we've ever looked better for having Kabia in place of McGrattan. That says something about our lack of options to change things in attack which will hopefully be addressed in January, but I still don't think we have to be so predictable with subs just now.

I've understood Imrie's reluctance to make changes in the middle of the park in tight games when he has three players he trusts there and wasn't sure of his other options, but what was the point of giving fringe players a game in the Challenge Cup, seeing King have a very good game where he scored his second screamer in two appearances, then not giving him a chance in league games? We've got an alternative to Blues and Crawford there, who has done far more to justify a chance in his rare appearances than Kabia who gets on in every single game. If either of those two aren't at their best, there's no reason not to use him.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

10 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

I've understood Imrie's reluctance to make changes in the middle of the park in tight games when he has three players he trusts there and wasn't sure of his other options, but what was the point of giving fringe players a game in the Challenge Cup, seeing King have a very good game where he scored his second screamer in two appearances, then not giving him a chance in league games? We've got an alternative to Blues and Crawford there, who has done far more to justify a chance in his rare appearances than Kabia who gets on in every single game. 

He's played in 18 games since the start of the season. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 minute ago, vikingTON said:

He's played in 18 games since the start of the season. 

Rare appearances in central midfield was the obvious implied point. His 5 league appearances since Firhill have all been as part of the front three.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

So not actually 'rare appearances' at all then, except by your own arbitrary and utterly meaningless distinction.

King is 18 and is getting his fair share of first team football. Last night he would have done a better job going up and down the left hand side than Kabia, which was the most significant issue in the second half. The solution though is try and add a couple of additions to the squad in January if we can, rather than insist on more game time for a player who is developing just fine under the current management. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

4 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Raith's highlights are up.

Didn't realise their first was an og. Second was poor positioning by Efe and Baird just couldn't empty the ball. 

We should have really put the game to bed in the second half and then schwake made a tremendous save at the end. Would have taken a point away from home before the game but that's a few draws we've had recently where we could have taken all 3 points. Says a lot that our expectations are that much higher. 

I'd love to see us bring in a couple of attacking options in January. Another winger and a striker at the very least to help mcgrattan, jai and Muirhead. Don't like slating our own players but it just has to worked out for kabia. May be time to cut that one and send him back to Livi.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Think a draw was a fair result but both teams had chances to win it. Keeps the unbeaten run going which is nice going into the next part of the season but as Dougie says one game at a time. Kabia is so frustrating there is the basis of a really good player there but he is far too inconsistent to be effective. 

McGrattan and King have developed so much and its so refreshing to see some decent youth players come through and actually get a chance. Would hope that Grimshaw would be tied down till at least the end of the season and a few signings in January would take us up a level and give us good depth coming off the bench. I think Marc Mcnulty is still a free agent possibly? I think a proven goalscorer would be a really smart edition and maybe another option in midfield or out wide if some players could be moved on possibly. 

If we're going to make a push for promotion, either automatically or via playoffs (pipe dream or not) we need a few quality additions. I'm told the dalrada deal should be able to facilitate this.

We also need grimshaw signed up pronto. When In Jan does the deal expire? I'm thinking if he was going to sign he would have done so already unless he's holding out for something better? I reckon he'd get a gig in English league 1 easily.

It'd be absolutely pointless to rest on our laurels given our current position. What's the point in that case when we've given ourselves a great platform only to just sit back and hope to squeeze fine margins out the already threadbare squad. Couple quality signings and shoot for the moon.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Having watched Kabia at Raith twice in as many weeks, he really does seem to weaken us when he comes on. He doesn't seem to have the physical strength to win a challenge and he lacks the skill required to compensate for this shortcoming. He's like a downgraded Aiden Nesbit 

1 hour ago, MarTon80 said:

Having watched Kabia at Raith twice in as many weeks, he really does seem to weaken us when he comes on. He doesn't seem to have the physical strength to win a challenge and he lacks the skill required to compensate for this shortcoming. He's like a downgraded Aiden Nesbit 

Kabia has ability but lacks belief and a heart. When the going gets tough sadly Kabia tends to go missing. When McGrattan had to depart last night we needed better off the bench than Kabia. 

55 minutes ago, HamCam said:

Kabia has ability but lacks belief and a heart. When the going gets tough sadly Kabia tends to go missing. When McGrattan had to depart last night we needed better off the bench than Kabia. 

I’ve not really seen too much evidence of his ability to be honest. He’s no better than King or McGrattan in anything he does and barring one good performance against Queen’s Park he’s been a waste of a wage.

Whilst Imrie and Martindale are pals, I suspect that there are financial implications in terms of how many appearances he makes/minutes he plays which will impact what Livingston get out of the loan deal, so it’s in our interest to play him at least sparingly.

The window’s effectively open for us now though, given we don’t play until January, so hopefully moves are being made to send him back and bring in someone that will contribute a bit more.

Archived