Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Raith Rovers (10th December) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Raith Rovers (10th December)

Admin

Aye, for whatever reason it just hasn’t worked out for Kabia, and yesterday was perhaps his poorest performance for the club.

He’s far too lightweight, and it struck me yesterday that he just didn’t fancy a physical battle. The only time I’ve walked away from a game thinking he was excellent was against Queen’s Park at Ochilview.

I’m at pains to make a criticism of any of Dougie’s signings but I’d be looking at cutting our losses and sending him back to Livingston if possible next month. Given the reviews the Falkirk fans gave him, perhaps League One’s his level.

Time to thank him for his efforts and wish him well for the future, I feel.

On one hand, it's a disappointing to not have had a proper go at this game as it's a trophy we could have won, but on the other we've got very few players as it is and we really did need to get a number of the fringe ones a run as they're almost certainly going to be needed over the next while. Even if it's only 'til January when we will (presumably/hopefully) get another few players in, there's too many valuable points to play for and not enough depth of quality in the squad to take too many risks, so I don't think there was really any easy option for Dougie.

It's particularly good to have O'Connor back starting games, and also King and McGregor as there really needs to be upgrades in a couple of starting positions - given his run of games in the slightly wider position, the more obvious option would be to move McGrattan inside and get shot of Blues, and introduce King to the starting team on the left in a similar way to McGrattan. The other wide spot should very much be up for grabs too, tbh, so it'll do McGregor no harm to have got a start and hopefully earned a chance to get more minutes than he's been getting so far.

As for Kabia, I feel for him to an extent as I think there's definitely something there, but he just seems quite a delicate character and he could do with developing at a lower level. I think it's entirely possible that he could become a pretty decent Championship player over time, but I don't think it's likely to happen in the duration of his time here and, especially with the somewhat unexpected way our season has been going, Cappielow probably just isn't the right time or place for him. If he stays on and there's new options brought in to be ahead of him, I wouldn't be adverse to having him as a squad player to come off the bench now and again, but if he goes back to Livingston it's probably best for everybody.

AWMSC

You can't play your full squad every single game & if you want to give youngsters/ fringe guys a run out, then when's better than last Saturday. They still nearly came through. No real complaints about this one though disappointed. Kabia unfortunately hasn't worked out (in any game I've seen him). Maybe has to drop a division for confidence, he doesn't seem able to handle the physical competativeness at this level.

But... but... the Daily Record think we will ne desperate to keep Kabia, that he is one of the top 5 players in the Championship that might see interest in January or that Livi might recall him due to his amazing performances for us.

Nonsense from them as always.

Archived