Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Raith Rovers (10th December) - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Raith Rovers (10th December)

Admin

Our match thread is brought to you in association with Titan Spiced Rum. The Morton Club Edition is available to order now, as well as the brand new Titan Orange Rum! Visit TitanSpiritsLTD.com and secure your bottle today! 

Titan Spiced - Rum, Reggae, Retro.

Join the community.jpg

Christmas cheer is to sing ‘TAIL O’ THE BANK CREDIT UNION FOR ALL OF INVERCLYDE TO HEAR’!

Whether you want to finish that Christmas Shopping early before the Big Man appears, make sure your car’s winter ready for that Christmas drive home, or start saving towards next year...Tail O’ The Bank Credit Union has you covered with loan rates have continued to remain at the same low level.

Shout it loud for all to hear...Tail O’ The Bank Credit Union is here for you! Contact us via our website or by phone on 01475 734655.

Best guess there would be Hynes right back, midfield three of Pignatiello, Grimshaw and King, front three of McGrattan, Kabia and McGregor with Kabia in the middle?

Taking this very seriously.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I think its a shame that we haven't tried to win that game in 90 min considering who we have on the bench, given the teams left we could have gone far aswell.

If we lose now next weekend given we've rested 4 starters with Baird and Jai also suspended it will look a little silly that we didn't make a single sub in this game.

Im making perfect sense, your just not keeping up.

My Twitter - 
https://twitter.com/RJChesh

5 minutes ago, Chesh said:

I think its a shame that we haven't tried to win that game in 90 min considering who we have on the bench, given the teams left we could have gone far aswell.

If we lose now next weekend given we've rested 4 starters with Baird and Jai also suspended it will look a little silly that we didn't make a single sub in this game.

Not how I read it. That team (basically a second-string 11) was good enough to take the lead and ultimately go to penalties.

I reckon Dougie was saying to them.."you're good enough..go on and win it....and they came damn close.

16 minutes ago, Chesh said:

I'm normally an advocate for going as far as possible in this competition, but we currently have a) genuine fish to fry in the top half of this division right now and b) a thin squad whose performances depend much more on fielding a balanced team than any innate quality gap blowing teams away. 

The correct question to ask is not whether we win next Saturday but whether we give ourselves the best chance to get a result. A daft injury today (when we could easily have progressed without risking anything) would not have achieved that. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

9 minutes ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

Not how I read it. That team (basically a second-string 11) was good enough to take the lead and ultimately go to penalties.

I reckon Dougie was saying to them.."you're good enough..go on and win it....and they came damn close.

Given the pelters he was giving Kabia and McGrattan after last week's game I don't think that was quite his message, but the end result would be pretty similar. Imrie wants squad players to be battering down the door into this team: the only way that they can do this is to rise to the challenge. 

Not concerned at all by that result but I suspect Imrie will have wanted more. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

11 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I'm normally an advocate for going as far as possible in this competition, but we currently have a) genuine fish to fry in the top half of this division right now and b) a thin squad whose performances depend much more on fielding a balanced team than any innate quality gap blowing teams away. 

The correct question to ask is not whether we win next Saturday but whether we give ourselves the best chance to get a result. A daft injury today (when we could easily have progressed without risking anything) would not have achieved that. 

Getting some of the younger players a game and a bit of confidence isn't a bad thing either. King for example will take a lot out of that game and hopefully sees him kick on after showing he can do it against a team in our league. 

2 hours ago, Chesh said:

If we lose next weekend, it's nothing to do with giving some players who have played week in week out since July a 1 game rest.

We were well in the ascendancy at 1-0 up, had the pressure and momentum to kill the game, didn't make use of it then conceded against the run of play and fell right out of it. Despite the very different starting XI, a not dissimilar story to only going in 1-0 up at halftime last week when it should have been more.

It was inevitable that the team was going to be a bit disjointed with seven changes, but still a few things we can take away from that:

Even taking scoring another screamer out of it, King is definitely good enough to be featuring in midfield. Hopefully we see Imrie trusting him to come on as a sub in there in tight games now rather than persisting with the starting three regardless of the context of the game.

Grimshaw is entirely comfortable in midfield, and in possession Pignatiello isn't. While you want don't want to mess around with a settled first choice back four, if we have a situation where we need one of them in midfield and the other at right back I'd be inclined to have Pignatiello in defence. Of course if we're trusting King there it shouldn't come up often.

McGregor is a bit raw as you'd expect with an 18 year old who hasn't played much, but his defensive workrate is excellent and he might have something. He goes under the radar due to King being a few months younger and so good for his age, but I'd like to see more of him.

That brings us onto Kabia: on a day with McGregor and Hynes in the starting XI, where we've put out pretty much the closest thing to a B team as we could with the size of our squad, he was by a distance our poorest player. McGregor should be ahead of him in the pecking order and with another winger in Miller possibly coming in, at this point I don't see any need to have him at the club come January.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived