Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (3rd December) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (3rd December)

Admin

Would have taken a point before the game however like others a little disappointed as we went ahead and then conceded so quickly after half time.

Says a lot about how far we have come that we are disappointed at a point away from home. Win our home games and continue to pick up points on the road and we'll be fine.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

Dont disagree with what you're saying......just felt annoyed at Arbroath equalising 2 mins into the second half.

Annoyed because I think the defence were caught cold after the restart.

Dougie will be fuckin ragin.

Putting it on the defence as a whole being caught cold is harsh: for all that none of them other than Grimshaw covered themselves in glory in the second half, the goal was entirely Baird's fuck up. However Baird has had an excellent season and I'd never have thought it would take 17 games for him to sell a goal, so it'd be harsh to hang him out to dry for it.

That was the worst we've played since Firhill and we were hanging on for a point by the end, but we're inevitably going to see this run come to an end at some point so if we escape from away games playing like we did in that second half with a point then fine.

I do think though that was the first time Imrie has undoubtedly got his subs (or lack of them) wrong. I'm a big McGrattan fan but even at that I've always seen why he's the first one to get subbed of the front three when Quitongo is generally a good outball, gives defences a physical nightmare and is capable of tearing past them with pace and power, while Muirhead can conjure a goal from absolutely nowhere. Today though neither of them were remotely involved in that second half and McGrattan was the only outball we had, having already tried switching Quitongo and Muirhead round which changed absolutely nothing. Kabia for Quitongo would undoubtedly have been a better sub than taking McGrattan off there. With Gillespie have a stinker, Blues invisible and Crawford on a booking we really could have done with King getting a go in the middle for any of them as well.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

22 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Putting it on the defence as a whole being caught cold is harsh: for all that none of them other than Grimshaw covered themselves in glory in the second half, the goal was entirely Baird's fuck up. However Baird has had an excellent season and I'd never have thought it would take 17 games for him to sell a goal, so it'd be harsh to hang him out to dry for it.

That was the worst we've played since Firhill and we were hanging on for a point by the end, but we're inevitably going to see this run come to an end at some point so if we escape from away games playing like we did in that second half with a point then fine.

I do think though that was the first time Imrie has undoubtedly got his subs (or lack of them) wrong. I'm a big McGrattan fan but even at that I've always seen why he's the first one to get subbed of the front three when Quitongo is generally a good outball, gives defences a physical nightmare and is capable of tearing past them with pace and power, while Muirhead can conjure a goal from absolutely nowhere. Today though neither of them were remotely involved in that second half and McGrattan was the only outball we had, having already tried switching Quitongo and Muirhead round which changed absolutely nothing. Kabia for Quitongo would undoubtedly have been a better sub than taking McGrattan off there. With Gillespie have a stinker, Blues invisible and Crawford on a booking we really could have done with King getting a go in the middle for any of them as well.

Not having been in attendance....Gillespie had a stinker?

Some people being extremely over dramatic about a good point in the end. Didn't play well at all and as others have said 2nd half we were nowhere near it albeit had a goal ruled out for offside and what looked like a blatant penalty for handball blocked on the line. 

Defence and Schwake were all over the place at the end but we done well to hang on. Another point, a bit of ground gained on everyone below us, 10 unbeaten is a fine day considering how bad we were. 

Nice to see a full squad on the bench again. 9 subs I think? Although does feel we're still in need of another forward and midfielder.

28 minutes ago, DumfriesTon said:

Nice to see a full squad on the bench again. 9 subs I think? Although does feel we're still in need of another forward and midfielder.

8, but realistically McGregor and Green not ready, Hynes not good enough and Lithgow not fit so only really 4 options off the bench in Kabia, King, O'connor and Carlo.

Fully expect a couple of quality additions in Jan, we need some attacking options to compliment the squad and provide a bit of competition.

Understandable to be a little disappointed. Started the day hoping to be top by the end of it, left sitting 4th with what feels like the first real setback result in ages.

Shows how far we have come though.

Some of the reactions definitely over the top. Keeping the unbeaten run going is decent and there's always going to be some setbacks.

Disappointing after getting a goal so late in the 1st to lose one so early in the 2nd. Poor from Jack but we didn't play well enough in that 2nd half so m Arbroath deserved at least what they got.

Dougie will likely fire a few rockets after that. 

Shame it's another break from the league next week.

9 minutes ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

I dont see it as a setback in the grand scheme of things.

A point at Gayfield is secured and next weekend we get to sort out the 'real deal'.....without Haugheys dosh.

We play Raith next weekend.

15 hours ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

Not having been in attendance....Gillespie had a stinker?

One of the many in the category of having a good first half then losing the run of himself in the second, several shanked clearances and misplaced passes which put us back under pressure.

At 9 league games unbeaten, this is now our best unbeaten run in 15 years, having had separate runs of 9 and 11 unbeaten in 06/07. The last time it happened in the second tier was 89/90 when we went 10 unbeaten, but 9 of those were draws so the last run as good at this level was 86/87, when we went 12 unbeaten with 9 wins.

Our best run of league results in 36 years. What a manager.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I felt pretty deflated at full time - with the result and especially with our second half performance.

On reflection, yeah a point away to Arbroath isn’t the worst result in the world, and it also keeps our unbeaten run going.  It would be unreasonable to expect the team to keep up the performance levels they have shown in the past couple of months without us having a few off days so hopefully we can just put it down to that and move on.  Also on another day we might have come away with all 3 points in spite of the performance - I haven’t seen the goal that was ruled out yet, but it definitely looks like there was a clear hand ball which should have earned us a penalty.

The run goes on and let’s hope we can finish off the year with a couple more wins. Onwards and upwards 

7 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

How many blatant handball penalties is that we have been denied now? Seems like it's every other week.

Dougie not happy about that at all in his post match interview.  

It'll be interesting to see that and Crawfords disallowed goal.

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

Around 4:24 for the penalty shout. Looks obvious and would've been a red to boot.

That’s a shocker. Stonewall penalty and a red card, that referee genuinely gave us fuck all. I know we all mump and moan about the standard of referees we see each week, but David Dickinson had a howler on Saturday and seemed desperate to give fouls for Arbroath but nothing in our favour. 

That's a horrendous decision. Stonewall pen and a red card. Club should take that all the way.

7 hours ago, Scott said:

That’s a shocker. Stonewall penalty and a red card, that referee genuinely gave us fuck all. I know we all mump and moan about the standard of referees we see each week, but David Dickinson had a howler on Saturday and seemed desperate to give fouls for Arbroath but nothing in our favour. 

Crawford being booked for being fouled was another good one, and there was one in the second half where Quitongo chested the ball down without touching anyone and was penalised, seemingly for backing into a non-existent defender.

Has there been any comment from the SFA or SPFL about refereeing during the World Cup? We already know the standard of refereeing in lower leagues has been destroyed by VAR hoovering up double the number of refs for the top flight every weekend, but why are Grade 1 referees sitting at home while the top flight is having a break for a month?

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

6 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Has there been any comment from the SFA or SPFL about refereeing during the World Cup? We already know the standard of refereeing in lower leagues has been destroyed by VAR hoovering up double the number of refs for the top flight every weekend, but why are Grade 1 referees sitting at home while the top flight is having a break for a month?

This is a thing in itself. Each game at the World Cup has at least 8 officials involved, so the fact there’s no Scottish ones there seems rather revealing.  

AWMSC

Archived