Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (3rd December) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (3rd December)

Admin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've not kept a clean sheet since the Inverness game, but Arbroath have offered very little. As their commentator keeps saying, punting balls up to a Bobby Linn vs. Efe Ambrose contest is only going to end one way. The only time they've looked halfway dangerous is coming down their right flank on the overlap with that Birmingham full-back, but even then Strapp has it covered half the time.

Long story short I think 1-0 is a likely ending here unless Arbroath pull something special out of the hat.

2 minutes ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

Fek me.... Queens 4 - Hamilton 0    

There's no way Rankin can keep his job if they want to stay up. Wee shame, that.

EOho8Pw.png

That was a special finish but, much like with our goal, it wouldn't have happened if someone had just stuck the foot in. A dangerous chance had been coming for the better part of a minute, starting from when Jai ran himself into trouble in our corner, and we just failed to clear from there.

EOho8Pw.png

Very disappointed that once again we let Arbroath off the hook. Playing second fiddle to a team thaat everyone one else has disposed of is shit.

Partick equalise, what a shit weekend

That 2nd half was as bad as we've been since firhill. Absolutely shite today. Point gained on that evidence. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

First half was good overall and missing the final ball to make our pressure count we much as it should have done. 

Baird laid an egg for the equaliser straight after half time. How after three separate jostles with the forward can a centre back end up letting him inside and goal-side was wild - nothing other than a goal could be expected from that. 

Perhaps Arbroath would have been on top anyway but the entire team seemed rattled, with the most innocuous ball from Arbroath being treated like a live hand grenade. Imrie's switch of the forwards did not work at all and probably made it worse: with McGrattan, King and Muirhead through the middle, I think we'd have at least been under less pressure than we were. Second half was the worst we've played since Firhill.

That said a draw is an entirely creditable result at Gayfield - if we keep winning most of our home games and draw away games like this, we'll be in the correct play-offs. This time two months ago we were looking at the bad play-offs, which today's results in the division sticks a fork in - not least Arbroath's failure to win. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

23 minutes ago, TaunTon said:

Very disappointed that once again we let Arbroath off the hook. Playing second fiddle to a team thaat everyone one else has disposed of is shit.

Partick equalise, what a shit weekend

Get a grip of yourselves FFS. If the first and second half performances had been swapped, there'd be none of this morose nonsense but instead praise for getting back in the game instead.

It's one, single rancid half of football either way - and we've not seen any of those for a ridiculously long time. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

29 minutes ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

Normally I'd have taken a point at Gayfield but this feels like a defeat somehow.

Try comparing to the actual defeat we suffered at Gayfield almost precisely twelve months ago then. When we had just finally bagged loser Gus, and Arbroath were storming the top of the league. That fog-bound nick of a game in December 2021 seemed like a low point in the club's history - in terms of the result as well as the future outlook of the club (fucked in the seaside leagues). 

Instead we appointed Imrie a few days later, and the rest is history. 

'Only' drawing at Arbroath to continue our unbeaten streak and legitimate promotion push in the Championship a year later is not a defeat. Not least because Imrie has shown this season that he's not for letting standards slip on a regular basis. 

11 minutes ago, TaunTon said:

I'll be as morose as I want to be aided by dropping a lead against a team that's won 2 games and scored 11 goals all season.

And they failed to win today as well, despite having the initiative for almost all of the second half to do so. While it doesn't impact us, that result is a killer for them.    

As much as I look forward to the day when we can once again file all trips to Angus clubs like a Harlem Globetrotters tour, we're not there yet. All of our games against them have been rancid at this level - today's was more open and entertaining than most - and so it's no surprise that any result today had to be ground out. Three points would have been a better result but it is unrealistic to expect every single half of every single game to be up to the required standard - and there's not any gulf in quality between the teams to get us wins when we're not at our best. 

A sensible observer takes the away point that confirms our nine game unbeaten run in this league, and expects Imrie to work out any issues just as he's done before. 

16 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Try comparing to the actual defeat we suffered at Gayfield almost precisely twelve months ago then. When we had just finally bagged loser Gus, and Arbroath were storming the top of the league. That fog-bound nick of a game in December 2021 seemed like a low point in the club's history - in terms of the result as well as the future outlook of the club (fucked in the seaside leagues). 

Instead we appointed Imrie a few days later, and the rest is history. 

'Only' drawing at Arbroath to continue our unbeaten streak and legitimate promotion push in the Championship a year later is not a defeat. Not least because Imrie has shown this season that he's not for letting standards slip on a regular basis. 

Dont disagree with what you're saying......just felt annoyed at Arbroath equalising 2 mins into the second half.

Annoyed because I think the defence were caught cold after the restart.

Dougie will be fuckin ragin.

Archived