Game where St Mirren kit man forgot their shorts? - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Game where St Mirren kit man forgot their shorts?

Greacen2000

I have a memory of a Renfrewshire Derby at Cappielow (most likely late 90's-early 2000's) where the St Mirren kit man had apparently forgotten to pack their shorts, so we lent them a set of ours and the match was played with St Mirren wearing Morton shorts.

In trying to search for a record of this online, I couldn't find any reference to it.  Does anyone else remember this incident?  Maybe I am experiencing some sort of Mandela effect

What I did come across however (which is even funnier and something I previously didn't know about) is that in 2000 when Clydebank were sharing with us, the ref didn't like the way St Mirrens away kit clashed with the Bankies home one.  They ended up playing this game wearing Morton tops & St Mirren shorts.  How on earth did I not know about this? 🤣  

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/jimmy-still-gets-pelters-day-2626350

SM.jpg

Can't help you with answer I'm afraid - but I know that Dougie would have made the blacky-whity-stripey fuckers turn out in their pants.

Edit = fantastic article/interview with the old St. Mirren kit man. It's men like these who keep everything going. Props to him and everyone like him. I'm pretty sure every club at our level has one.

9 minutes ago, shaddypeekey said:

It definitely happened. I think there was a clash with the short colours. 

Thanks for confirming - I was really starting to doubt myself.  IIRC Morton season ticket holders were able to get into the Bankies home games for free that season so I was starting to wonder if I’d actually been at the Clydebank v St Mirren game and was just misremembering it as a Morton game.

On 11/30/2022 at 10:19 AM, Greacen2000 said:

I have a memory of a Renfrewshire Derby at Cappielow (most likely late 90's-early 2000's) where the St Mirren kit man had apparently forgotten to pack their shorts, so we lent them a set of ours and the match was played with St Mirren wearing Morton shorts.

In trying to search for a record of this online, I couldn't find any reference to it.  Does anyone else remember this incident?  Maybe I am experiencing some sort of Mandela effect

What I did come across however (which is even funnier and something I previously didn't know about) is that in 2000 when Clydebank were sharing with us, the ref didn't like the way St Mirrens away kit clashed with the Bankies home one.  They ended up playing this game wearing Morton tops & St Mirren shorts.  How on earth did I not know about this? 🤣  

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/jimmy-still-gets-pelters-day-2626350

SM.jpg

We should just use that strip as our away one for all eternity tbh. 

AWMSC

The game ended 0-0, only two weeks after St. Mirren had gubbed Bankies 8-0 at Love Street.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived