Cup draw - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Cup draw

1 minute ago, AyrshireTon said:

Will we have to endure the abomination that is VAR in this tie?

No, it doesn’t kick in until the semi finals. It’s only at that point (with both ties at Hampden) that they can guarantee the facilities across every tie.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Toby said:

I’m not disputing that they are, but I suspect the Celtic crowd will be bigger than those you cite.

The League Cup game that we won was a week before they entertained Barcelona and the draw was actually made the same day as the Champions League draw- it was very much a tie that flew under the radar for their fans. It was also a midweek game in the least attractive tournament they compete in. With Celtic having seemingly wrapped up the title and out of Europe, the cups are their only real focus this season, beyond bodying Rangers where possible.

The second one took place at a time when apathy had kicked in at Celtic Park. Ronnie Deila wasn’t pulling up trees and their pals were a league below them, and went on to knock them out in the semis. The Celtic board at the time were mocked for using the timing of the fixture, at lunchtime on Easter Sunday as an excuse. For a club with strong links to a particular branch of the Christian faith, I suppose that could be a factor, though.

The current Celtic is a different beast- there’s a massive feel-good factor about their club and a massive demand in their support for away tickets, and Hampden tickets for semi finals and finals, for which turning up at less attractive games contributes to their chances. They’ve also got a manager who is just about as popular with their support as Dougie is with us.

One thing I’ll say there is, that whilst Celtic will count tickets sold for a league game, I suspect they’ll have a clicks on the turnstile policy for accounting cup crowds. If they sell 30,000 tickets and 25,000 turn up, they’re not going to be giving us anything like our cut from 30,000.

10 hours ago, Toby said:

I’m not disputing that they are, but I suspect the Celtic crowd will be bigger than those you cite.

The League Cup game that we won was a week before they entertained Barcelona and the draw was actually made the same day as the Champions League draw- it was very much a tie that flew under the radar for their fans. It was also a midweek game in the least attractive tournament they compete in. With Celtic having seemingly wrapped up the title and out of Europe, the cups are their only real focus this season, beyond bodying Rangers where possible.

The second one took place at a time when apathy had kicked in at Celtic Park. Ronnie Deila wasn’t pulling up trees and their pals were a league below them, and went on to knock them out in the semis. The Celtic board at the time were mocked for using the timing of the fixture, at lunchtime on Easter Sunday as an excuse. For a club with strong links to a particular branch of the Christian faith, I suppose that could be a factor, though.

The current Celtic is a different beast- there’s a massive feel-good factor about their club and a massive demand in their support for away tickets, and Hampden tickets for semi finals and finals, for which turning up at less attractive games contributes to their chances. They’ve also got a manager who is just about as popular with their support as Dougie is with us.

One thing I’ll say there is, that whilst Celtic will count tickets sold for a league game, I suspect they’ll have a clicks on the turnstile policy for accounting cup crowds. If they sell 30,000 tickets and 25,000 turn up, they’re not going to be giving us anything like our cut from 30,000.

Was it not Mother’s Day?

17 hours ago, Ray Von said:

Was it not Mother’s Day?

Mothers Day or Easter Sunday...not sure but still got the ticket somewhere .

On a topical note...Griffiths scored in that game and ran past the Morton support giving it the Shhhhhhh... finger.

Bawbag.

*Ticket found: Sunday 6th March 2016.

12 noon K.O.                                                                   

13 hours ago, Toby said:

2 hours ago, Ray Von said:

Was it not Mother’s Day?

2 hours ago, Toby said:

Might’ve been actually.

Easter Sunday in 2016 was the 27th March.  Mothering Sunday was the 6th March 2016.

Anyway,

One big thing which would have affected the attendance of the 2016 game would have been the weather, it was a couple of days after 'The Beast from the East' snowstorm and was in freezing conditions.  There was a lot of debate whether the game should have actually been played in those conditions as the trains were off, roads were bad, weather warnings in place etc.  That would have have affected the crowd for starters.

It did make for a good sing-song though. :thumbup2:

*insert signature here*

1 hour ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

Mothers Day or Easter Sunday...not sure but still got the ticket somewhere .

On a topical note...Griffiths scored in that game and ran past the Morton support giving it the Shhhhhhh... finger.

Bawbag.

I'd happily give him that as he scored a double against England.

*insert signature here*

14 minutes ago, capitanus said:

Easter Sunday in 2016 was the 27th March.  Mothering Sunday was the 6th March 2016.

Anyway,

One big thing which would have affected the attendance of the 2016 game would have been the weather, it was a couple of days after 'The Beast from the East' snowstorm and was in freezing conditions.  There was a lot of debate whether the game should have actually been played in those conditions as the trains were off, roads were bad, weather warnings in place etc.  That would have have affected the crowd for starters.

The “Beast of the East” game was on 3rd March 2018, in front of 18,255. That was a Saturday lunchtime kick off, and the last time we played that horrible lot, if you exclude the Challenge Cup game against their B Team last season.

34 minutes ago, Toby said:

The “Beast of the East” game was on 3rd March 2018, in front of 18,255. That was a Saturday lunchtime kick off, and the last time we played that horrible lot, if you exclude the Challenge Cup game against their B Team last season.

Aye, I was reading up on these.  Apparently we've played there three times over the past decade.  I can only remember two of these games.

*insert signature here*

6 hours ago, capitanus said:

Anyway,

2016 game was Mother’s Day, beast from the east one was in 2018.

21 hours ago, Toby said:

Surely they need to. Celtic fans sign up for the scheme, so they are willingly buying a ticket for the game. If they decide not to show up, that's not Morton's fault. Celtic can't just keep that money can they?

Likewise if Morton sell 2000 tickets but 500 miss it because of train strikes, that's not Celtics fault and they should still be entitled to a split of our 2000 tickets sold.

It must be on tickets sold surely? 

Doubt we will ever find out right enough.

Agree with you on the crowds, Celtic a different club now than they were under Lennon and Ronny. A feel good factor similar to ours and I'd expect 25k+ from them. Hopefully its on Premier rather than BBC as they might get a few more out as well.

A Sat kick off will help too.

17 minutes ago, Madton said:

Surely they need to. Celtic fans sign up for the scheme, so they are willingly buying a ticket for the game. If they decide not to show up, that's not Morton's fault. Celtic can't just keep that money can they?

Likewise if Morton sell 2000 tickets but 500 miss it because of train strikes, that's not Celtics fault and they should still be entitled to a split of our 2000 tickets sold.

It must be on tickets sold surely? 

Doubt we will ever find out right enough.

Agree with you on the crowds, Celtic a different club now than they were under Lennon and Ronny. A feel good factor similar to ours and I'd expect 25k+ from them. Hopefully its on Premier rather than BBC as they might get a few more out as well.

A Sat kick off will help too.

I think the point here is that there is ambiguity in the wording of the rules that would appear to allow the home club to base the figure on attendance rather than sales, and still be within the rules.  In cases where rules are open to interpretation, it’s only natural to expect that clubs will choose to do so in a way that is most financially beneficial for them.

13 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

What's the relevance to the cup game?

Celtic FC, the club who Morton are playing against on this occasion.

One of their former coaches died recently.  

I know your about to slaver 'whit hus that goat tae do with thu game?' Well, enough folk will be singing about the bheasts on the day, so therefore it has relevance.

Next.

*insert signature here*

1 hour ago, capitanus said:

Celtic FC, the club who Morton are playing against on this occasion.

One of their former coaches died recently.  

I know your about to slaver 'whit hus that goat tae do with thu game?' Well, enough folk will be singing about the bheasts on the day, so therefore it has relevance.

Next.

No problem for me for you to continue your self-proclaimed role as the board's champion virtue signaler. 

46 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

No problem for me for you to continue your self-proclaimed role as the board's champion virtue signaler. 

That high praise indeed coming from someone as sanctimonious as yourself.

*insert signature here*

4 hours ago, SassenachTon said:

Bhunch o' Bhawbhags.

I was looking for a Brian Clough story about Celtic, and found this:

https://thecelticstar.com/nottingham-forest-v-celtic-the-completely-ignored-hillsborough-warning/

I'm also sure that I read somewhere that Clough was approached to replace Jock Stein at Celtic, but they opted for Billy McNeill who wasn't asking for as much money.

*insert signature here*

Archived