Cup draw - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Cup draw

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SassenachTon said:

I just remembered something. Dougie’s famous penalty in the historic 1-0 win was given for a blatant handball by ….

Efe Ambrose 🤣🤣

Gourlay…

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

A lot of sourpusses on this thread. We're nine games unbeaten and Celtic will rotate their squad for it. Yes, they're massive favorites, but let's not act like it's game over already. Plenty of upsets happen in every cup every season. And then there's the financial aspect.

I'd take this over a trip to "Drumchapel" that everyone will forget in a month's time.

EOho8Pw.png

34 minutes ago, capitanus said:

This will be a sub-20,000 crowd at Celtic Park.  We'd have been much better off with an away tie at Ibrox, at least Rangers supporters bother to turn up for games like these.

Looking at comparable ties, they had 29,941 for a Saturday evening game against Airdrie in January 2019 and 26,376 against Raith Rovers on a Sunday afternoon in February last year.

Their recent crowds against us have been exceptionally poor, but I wouldn’t say they’re the only crowds to take into account when estimating a potential gate for Celtic against a team in the Championship or below.

I suspect it’ll be around the 25,000-32,000 mark. The bigger the crowd of course, the more chance of getting stuck behind a pillar, but I suppose that’s preferable to watching it on the telly with John fucking Hartson on co-coms.

10 hours ago, Toby said:

Looking at comparable ties, they had 29,941 for a Saturday evening game against Airdrie in January 2019 and 26,376 against Raith Rovers on a Sunday afternoon in February last year.

Their recent crowds against us have been exceptionally poor, but I wouldn’t say they’re the only crowds to take into account when estimating a potential gate for Celtic against a team in the Championship or below.

I suspect it’ll be around the 25,000-32,000 mark. The bigger the crowd of course, the more chance of getting stuck behind a pillar, but I suppose that’s preferable to watching it on the telly with John fucking Hartson on co-coms.

As much as I'd love a long cup run, with our very thin squad it could actually be to the determent of our promotion challenge, if we were to pick up knocks and injuries along the way. This should net us around a quarter of a million quid which could then be used to strengthen he squad in January for the push for promotion. So not the worst draw, IMO.

10 hours ago, Toby said:

The two comparable ties i've taken into account were the ones as follows:

24/9/13 - League Cup, Celtic Park - 16,998

8/3/16 - Scottish Cup, Celtic Park - 14,858

In comparison, our recent cup games against Rangers:

12/2/17 - Scottish Cup, Ibrox Stadium - 30,295

Overall, none of the above are the greatest attendances for them and not being part of the season book will also affect the crowds, their Ibrox counterparts are a wee bit more 'Loyal' than TGFITW when it comes to showing up to see them play against Morton.

*insert signature here*

11 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

As much as I'd love a long cup run, with our very thin squad it could actually be to the determent of our promotion challenge, if we were to pick up knocks and injuries along the way. This should net us around a quarter of a million quid which could then be used to strengthen he squad in January for the push for promotion. So not the worst draw, IMO.

How will we get £250k from this one?

I personally reckon we should use this as a shop window for Lewis Strapp and get around £4million plus add-ons for him.

*insert signature here*

Reference the potential income from this tie.

*If you listen to the latest podcast someone makes reference to Celtic ST holders paying for cup tickets via some sort of DD scheme and reckons that whether there are 2000 or 20,000 fans that turn up the income from the game will be guaranteed to be somewhere around the level of a 30,000 attendance.

*Start listening from around the 38 minute mark.

8 minutes ago, capitanus said:

The two comparable ties i've taken into account were the ones as follows:

24/9/13 - League Cup, Celtic Park - 16,998

8/3/16 - Scottish Cup, Celtic Park - 14,858

In comparison, our recent cup games against Rangers:

12/2/17 - Scottish Cup, Ibrox Stadium - 30,295

Overall, none of the above are the greatest attendances for them and not being part of the season book will also affect the crowds, their Ibrox counterparts are a wee bit more 'Loyal' than TGFITW when it comes to showing up to see them play against Morton.

I’m not disputing that they are, but I suspect the Celtic crowd will be bigger than those you cite.

The League Cup game that we won was a week before they entertained Barcelona and the draw was actually made the same day as the Champions League draw- it was very much a tie that flew under the radar for their fans. It was also a midweek game in the least attractive tournament they compete in. With Celtic having seemingly wrapped up the title and out of Europe, the cups are their only real focus this season, beyond bodying Rangers where possible.

The second one took place at a time when apathy had kicked in at Celtic Park. Ronnie Deila wasn’t pulling up trees and their pals were a league below them, and went on to knock them out in the semis. The Celtic board at the time were mocked for using the timing of the fixture, at lunchtime on Easter Sunday as an excuse. For a club with strong links to a particular branch of the Christian faith, I suppose that could be a factor, though.

The current Celtic is a different beast- there’s a massive feel-good factor about their club and a massive demand in their support for away tickets, and Hampden tickets for semi finals and finals, for which turning up at less attractive games contributes to their chances. They’ve also got a manager who is just about as popular with their support as Dougie is with us.

5 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Reference the potential income from this tie.

If you listen to the latest podcast someone makes reference to Celtic ST holders paying for cup tickets via some sort of DD scheme and reckons that whether there are 2000 or 20,000 fans that turn up the income from the game will be guaranteed to be somewhere around the level of a 30,000 attendance.

One thing I’ll say there is, that whilst Celtic will count tickets sold for a league game, I suspect they’ll have a clicks on the turnstile policy for accounting cup crowds. If they sell 30,000 tickets and 25,000 turn up, they’re not going to be giving us anything like our cut from 30,000.

1 hour ago, Toby said:

One thing I’ll say there is, that whilst Celtic will count tickets sold for a league game, I suspect they’ll have a clicks on the turnstile policy for accounting cup crowds. If they sell 30,000 tickets and 25,000 turn up, they’re not going to be giving us anything like our cut from 30,000.

The rules use the terminology 'admission charges' and 'gate receipts' interchangeable - both potentially open to such manipulation. Should really be changed to tickets sales.

We will be due 37.5% of the 'admission charges/gate receipts' that Celtic choose to declare.

2 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

We will be due 37.5% of the 'admission charges/gate receipts' that Celtic choose to declare.

If they tot it up on their Seville calculator, we'll be due around £30 trillion.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Will we have to endure the abomination that is VAR in this tie?

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived