Match Preview/Thread - Cove Rangers vs Morton (19th November) - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Cove Rangers vs Morton (19th November)

Admin

On 11/19/2022 at 9:42 PM, SassenachTon said:

This latest interview (for me, anyway) totally epitomises why Dougie's become so successful in such a short period of time. Win, lose or draw - every interview he's done has been honest, professional, focused, positive and totally down-to-earth. He doesn't make bullshit excuses when we've been shite (the 3-week-long post-Partick rage amply demonstrated that), and when we've done well - he always acts with complete humility - publicly handing out compliments to the players and the staff, and always taking time to mention particular players by name who've significantly contributed to any given result. He also always impresses me with his keep-your-feet-on-the-ground-it's-one-game-at-a-time attitude. Others in his position would have their heads in the clouds, taking all the credit and basking in the glory of 8 games unbeaten, claiming his managerial genius as the root cause. It is genius obviously - but on a totally different, ground-floor level. It's crystal-clear how much respect and gratitude he shows his squad and his staff, and I'd imagine that the training-ground and dressing-room atmosphere and relationship he's forged with those players is rock-solid, with the younger players especially looking up to him as a successful ex-player who knows what he's talking about. He has, after all, walked the walk instead of just talking the talk. How many of those young players dream of one day singlehandedly swording Celtic out of a cup game I wonder?

What's happening at Morton right now constantly reminds me of what happened at Leicester City in 2015-2016, when a bog-standard, ordinary Midlands team achieved a fairytale and won the English Premiership without a massive budget, and with no global superstar players. Their success was fuelled almost solely by self-belief, a colossal team spirit - and more to the point - by a manager who knew exactly how to get those crucial elements out of his comparatively limited, bargain-basement squad.

So to paraphrase what Dougie would have said if it was him writing this - props to everyone. Props once again to the Morton board for taking a 'what could possibly go wrong?' punt on a managerial unknown with no previous first-team experience. Props to Dalrada for the support they're providing and for the return on investment horizon they're obviously seeing. Props to all of us for sticking with our team through thick and thin. My dearest wish would be one day to see the terraces at Cappielow fucking heaving (although I'd also wish that the catering staff will have pre-ordered enough kebab pies to meet the insatiable demand).

8 games unbeaten, second in the table, only a point below the leaders, and gaining a reputation as being a team whose defence is horrible to play against, and whose forwards will nick every possible chance to trouser you when you take your eye off the ball for a microsecond. Who would have believed it? I'm fucking loving it, as I'm sure we all are. Absolutely buzzing. We've all waited a long time for such happy days .

Dougie Imrie. Future Scotland national team manager right there.

Until that day comes - MON THE TON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just watching his interview from today, which reminded me of this and I agree entirely. Obviously it's all about what happens on the pitch and we could be here all day listening the multitude of things he's done there, but even listening to him speak is remarkable. From his very first interview upon getting the job he went a good way to turning the mood around the club around, and there's such a clarity and intelligence in how he discusses games too - always stressing the expectations he has, turning any negatives in to motivation, balancing praise etc, as well as being able to clearly identify why things go wrong and the like. It must be a genuine joy to play under him, and you can see as much when you watch us. 

As for the bit in bold, I wholeheartedly agree. Obviously things can change overnight in football and it's still early in his career, but as it stands I think it's very, very likely indeed that Dougie could end up with the national team job given what he's demonstrated so far. I've said this many times before, and will say it again: we are so, so fuckin lucky to have him. He's the best thing that's happened to this club in decades.

AWMSC

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

Just watching his interview from today, which reminded me of this and I agree entirely. Obviously it's all about what happens on the pitch and we could be here all day listening the multitude of things he's done there, but even listening to him speak is remarkable. From his very first interview upon getting the job he went a good way to turning the mood around the club around, and there's such a clarity and intelligence in how he discusses games too - always stressing the expectations he has, turning any negatives in to motivation, balancing praise etc, as well as being able to clearly identify why things go wrong and the like. It must be a genuine joy to play under him, and you can see as much when you watch us. 

As for the bit in bold, I wholeheartedly agree. Obviously things can change overnight in football and it's still early in his career, but as it stands I think it's very, very likely indeed that Dougie could end up with the national team job given what he's demonstrated so far. I've said this many times before, and will say it again: we are so, so fuckin lucky to have him. He's the best thing that's happened to this club in decades.

It's pretty funny going back through the thread from when McPherson was sacked. You search in that thread for Imrie and virtually every single response is "he's an unknown quantity but his name just jumps out" or "he's the one I want us to take a gamble on" or something like that. It's been clear for a long, long time that he's the kind of guy to drag a club up from the mud by the scruff of its neck, both as a player and now as a manager.

One day he'll move on, and we'll be the poorer for it, but the best we can do is try to make sure some of his ruthlessness and work ethic and winning attitude stays around the place. There's a lot less defeatism around the club these days, and that's in large part down to him - we have to make that a way of life at Cappielow.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived