Match Preview/Thread - Cove Rangers vs Morton (19th November) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Cove Rangers vs Morton (19th November)

Admin

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty scrappy game, which definitely wasn’t helped by the wind.  I thought when we took the lead it was against the run of play, and as the game went on I was saying (before they equalised) that even hanging hanging on for a point would be a decent result from a very tough away game.

For us to have conceded an equaliser and then still keep going and manage to grab a winner shows once again that this team really has got something special about it.  To be coming back down the road with 3 points from a game that on another day could easily have been a draw or a defeat is just incredible.

I really hope that there are some decent camera angles of the goals.  I didn’t notice our 1st being offside at the time but McIntyre seems to think it was well off, and I can’t wait to see Crawford’s winner again - what a strike!

12 hours ago, capitanus said:

The bit in bold, the Leicester City league winning side was assembled at a cost of over £70m and had players who were established international players and future international regulars in the side.  Granted that they were up against teams with bigger budgets, but to portray them as a bunch of plucky postmen is a wee bit misleading, especially as they had players like Ngolo Kante and Riyadh Mahrez in the team, they had a then goal machine in Jamie Vardy as well as players like Danny Drinkwater, Marcus Albrighton and Kasper Schmeichel in the team; all managed by Claudio Ranieri, who was a highly talented manager who has great track record in Italy, Spain and England.

I much preferred it when you compared everything to Brian Clough's teams of the 1970's.

I could only get 28-1 each way for Morton to win the Championship. Leicester City were 1000-1 to win the EPL that year. I’m not sure where that leaves the comparison, but by the bookies’ reckoning Morton are far more likely to win the Championship than Leicester were to win the EPL.

I think we need to add depth to the squad if we’re serious about pushing on for the title/2nd. We’re an injury to Muirhead/Crawford etc away from losing the spine of our team which would really disrupt things. Hopefully we can manage to January, sign Grimshaw for the remainder of the season and look to add another midfielder & striker to the squad. 

4 hours ago, TAFKAC said:

The other thing to bear in mind was that Leicester were financially doping in the championship the two seasons before they went up.  If they hadn't gone up when they did, they would have been in real trouble.  Bournemouth were similar.

Not taking away from Leicester's amazing achievement, but they weren't a plucky underdog playing with loads of non league journeymen.

Its kinda my point.  Leicester weren't a bunch of plucky nobodies who went on a giant-killing spree to win the league.  They had a team assembled at over £70m, they were managed by someone with Champions League pedigree, they had great coaching and scouted very well, but most importantly, the won more matches than the rest of their competitors.  They are also a fairly large club, who play in front of 30,000 supporters every week.  

All of the above requires skill and their achievement shouldn't be discounted as many have tried and failed at doing what they done previously.  For example, look at Tottenham Hotspur, every season they are amongst the big spenders, they always have world class coaches and facilities,  they attract massive crowds and are always tipped by the 'bookies' to actually do something, but they never do.

*insert signature here*

2 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

I could only get 28-1 each way for Morton to win the Championship. Leicester City were 1000-1 to win the EPL that year. I’m not sure where that leaves the comparison, but by the bookies’ reckoning Morton are far more likely to win the Championship than Leicester were to win the EPL.

And!?! 

As I said above, Spurs are always amongst the favourites to win the EPL but that club have won the square root of fuck all in the modern era, and are likely to achieve the same going forward.

Bookies dont determine who is likely to win anything, the odds quoted are merely reflect the paying public betting with their cash.  The Bookies are there to profit from their opinions.  Sometimes they get it wrong, and Leicester was one of those occasions.

*insert signature here*

9 hours ago, Greacen2000 said:

I really hope that there are some decent camera angles of the goals.  I didn’t notice our 1st being offside at the time but McIntyre seems to think it was well off, and I can’t wait to see Crawford’s winner again - what a strike!

McIntyre is a greetin' faced simpleton.

Archived