Match Preview/Thread - Cove Rangers vs Morton (19th November) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Cove Rangers vs Morton (19th November)

Admin

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brilliant to see Crawford scoring. He's been great this season but one thing he lacked was goals, hopefully he can score a few more.

That's Crawford, Blues, Quitongo, Kabia, Gillespie and of course big Efe score in recent games. Important to spread the goals about and keep the pressure off Robbie.

Looking forward to next week, a Scottish Cup run would be magic.

What a team.

11 minutes ago, DumfriesTon said:

Loved that today. 300 mile round trip and freezing cold all worth it with the late winner. Conditions were terrible and didn't make a good game at all but who cares. Schwake's save at 0-0 was world class. 

What a fucking team 

Good lad. It's a 600-mile round trip for me just for a home game. Don't get up as often as I'd like, but self-employment crazy-busy and all that. A great time to be a Ton supporter. I anticipate more customer jobs being postponed as this season continues to pan out.

This latest interview (for me, anyway) totally epitomises why Dougie's become so successful in such a short period of time. Win, lose or draw - every interview he's done has been honest, professional, focused, positive and totally down-to-earth. He doesn't make bullshit excuses when we've been shite (the 3-week-long post-Partick rage amply demonstrated that), and when we've done well - he always acts with complete humility - publicly handing out compliments to the players and the staff, and always taking time to mention particular players by name who've significantly contributed to any given result. He also always impresses me with his keep-your-feet-on-the-ground-it's-one-game-at-a-time attitude. Others in his position would have their heads in the clouds, taking all the credit and basking in the glory of 8 games unbeaten, claiming his managerial genius as the root cause. It is genius obviously - but on a totally different, ground-floor level. It's crystal-clear how much respect and gratitude he shows his squad and his staff, and I'd imagine that the training-ground and dressing-room atmosphere and relationship he's forged with those players is rock-solid, with the younger players especially looking up to him as a successful ex-player who knows what he's talking about. He has, after all, walked the walk instead of just talking the talk. How many of those young players dream of one day singlehandedly swording Celtic out of a cup game I wonder?

What's happening at Morton right now constantly reminds me of what happened at Leicester City in 2015-2016, when a bog-standard, ordinary Midlands team achieved a fairytale and won the English Premiership without a massive budget, and with no global superstar players. Their success was fuelled almost solely by self-belief, a colossal team spirit - and more to the point - by a manager who knew exactly how to get those crucial elements out of his comparatively limited, bargain-basement squad.

So to paraphrase what Dougie would have said if it was him writing this - props to everyone. Props once again to the Morton board for taking a 'what could possibly go wrong?' punt on a managerial unknown with no previous first-team experience. Props to Dalrada for the support they're providing and for the return on investment horizon they're obviously seeing. Props to all of us for sticking with our team through thick and thin. My dearest wish would be one day to see the terraces at Cappielow fucking heaving (although I'd also wish that the catering staff will have pre-ordered enough kebab pies to meet the insatiable demand).

8 games unbeaten, second in the table, only a point below the leaders, and gaining a reputation as being a team whose defence is horrible to play against, and whose forwards will nick every possible chance to trouser you when you take your eye off the ball for a microsecond. Who would have believed it? I'm fucking loving it, as I'm sure we all are. Absolutely buzzing. We've all waited a long time for such happy days .

Dougie Imrie. Future Scotland national team manager right there.

Until that day comes - MON THE TON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22 minutes ago, SassenachTon said:

This latest interview (for me, anyway) totally epitomises why Dougie's become so successful in such a short period of time. Win, lose or draw - every interview he's done has been honest, professional, focused, positive and totally down-to-earth. He doesn't make bullshit excuses when we've been shite (the 3-week-long post-Partick rage amply demonstrated that), and when we've done well - he always acts with complete humility - publicly handing out compliments to the players and the staff, and always taking time to mention particular players by name who've significantly contributed to any given result. He also always impresses me with his keep-your-feet-on-the-ground-it's-one-game-at-a-time attitude. Others in his position would have their heads in the clouds, taking all the credit and basking in the glory of 8 games unbeaten, claiming his managerial genius as the root cause. It is genius obviously - but on a totally different, ground-floor level. It's crystal-clear how much respect and gratitude he shows his squad and his staff, and I'd imagine that the training-ground and dressing-room atmosphere and relationship he's forged with those players is rock-solid, with the younger players especially looking up to him as a successful ex-player who knows what he's talking about. He has, after all, walked the walk instead of just talking the talk. How many of those young players dream of one day singlehandedly swording Celtic out of a cup game I wonder?

What's happening at Morton right now constantly reminds me of what happened at Leicester City in 2015-2016, when a bog-standard, ordinary Midlands team achieved a fairytale and won the English Premiership without a massive budget, and with no global superstar players. Their success was fuelled almost solely by self-belief, a colossal team spirit - and more to the point - by a manager who knew exactly how to get those crucial elements out of his squad.

So to paraphrase what Dougie would have said if it was him writing this - props to everyone. Props once again to the Morton board for taking a 'what could possibly go wrong?' punt on a managerial unknown with no previous first-team experience. Props to Dalrada for the support they're providing and for the return on investment horizon they're obviously seeing. Props to all of us for sticking with our team through thick and thin. My dearest wish would be one day to see the terraces at Cappielow fucking heaving (although I'd also wish that the catering staff will have pre-ordered enough kebab pies to meet the insatiable demand).

8 games unbeaten, second in the table, only a point below the leaders, and gaining a reputation as being a team whose defence is horrible to play against, and whose forwards will nick every possible chance to trouser you when you take your eye off the ball for a microsecond. Who would have believed it? I'm fucking loving it, as I'm sure we all are. Absolutely buzzing. We've all waited a long time for such happy days .

Well said Sir...

2 hours ago, SassenachTon said:

What's happening at Morton right now constantly reminds me of what happened at Leicester City in 2015-2016, when a bog-standard, ordinary Midlands team achieved a fairytale and won the English Premiership without a massive budget, and with no global superstar players. Their success was fuelled almost solely by self-belief, a colossal team spirit - and more to the point - by a manager who knew exactly how to get those crucial elements out of his comparatively limited, bargain-basement squad.

The bit in bold, the Leicester City league winning side was assembled at a cost of over £70m and had players who were established international players and future international regulars in the side.  Granted that they were up against teams with bigger budgets, but to portray them as a bunch of plucky postmen is a wee bit misleading, especially as they had players like Ngolo Kante and Riyadh Mahrez in the team, they had a then goal machine in Jamie Vardy as well as players like Danny Drinkwater, Marcus Albrighton and Kasper Schmeichel in the team; all managed by Claudio Ranieri, who was a highly talented manager who has great track record in Italy, Spain and England.

I much preferred it when you compared everything to Brian Clough's teams of the 1970's.

*insert signature here*

58 minutes ago, capitanus said:

The bit in bold, the Leicester City league winning side was assembled at a cost of over £70m and had players who were established international players and future international regulars in the side.  Granted that they were up against teams with bigger budgets, but to portray them as a bunch of plucky postmen is a wee bit misleading, especially as they had players like Ngolo Kante and Riyadh Mahrez in the team, they had a then goal machine in Jamie Vardy as well as players like Danny Drinkwater, Marcus Albrighton and Kasper Schmeichel in the team; all managed by Claudio Ranieri, who was a highly talented manager who has great track record in Italy, Spain and England.

I much preferred it when you compared everything to Brian Clough's teams of the 1970's.

Clough wasn't averse to spending a bob or two, and it's easy to cite Riyad Mahrez now, but they signed him from Havre in the French second tier. Leicester's achievement was absolutely monumental - teams like Forest had far less wage disparity in the pre-Sky Era than the likes of Leicester do now. 

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, capitanus said:

You think it’s maybe time to get shot of the “sack the board” signature?

I get that you’re still not happy with the Lithgow signing, but they’ve got far more right than they’re getting wrong and maybe it’s time to give the benefit of the doubt, if not a bit of credit.

They can’t just cut a two year contract, but maybe, just maybe, these guys are actually doing a good job for Morton.

Its not misleading.

Kante was a nobody with 1 season of Ligue 1 under his belt, Vardy scored 5 goals the previous season, Drinkwater was a Championship Journeyman, Albrighton was a non-entity who was judged not good enough for the awful Alex McLeish/Paul Lambert era Aston Villa. Albrighton, Danny Simpson and Robert Huth were their only regular players with more than a season of Premier League, plus a couple of experienced but still obscure Bundesliga players in Okazaki and Fuchs. Gohkan Inler was the only marquee player they had, and he ended up actually being dogshite.

Ranieri was also considered to be a laughing stock, most Leicecster fans were furious at his appointment, and the bookies and media had them getting relegated comfortable.

Its one of the biggest achievements in sports history.

31 minutes ago, Hej said:

Its not misleading.

Kante was a nobody with 1 season of Ligue 1 under his belt, Vardy scored 5 goals the previous season, Drinkwater was a Championship Journeyman, Albrighton was a non-entity who was judged not good enough for the awful Alex McLeish/Paul Lambert era Aston Villa. Albrighton, Danny Simpson and Robert Huth were their only regular players with more than a season of Premier League, plus a couple of experienced but still obscure Bundesliga players in Okazaki and Fuchs. Gohkan Inler was the only marquee player they had, and he ended up actually being dogshite.

Ranieri was also considered to be a laughing stock, most Leicecster fans were furious at his appointment, and the bookies and media had them getting relegated comfortable.

I was working at that time for a football website that had a sponsorship deal with the Peace Cup, a pre-season tournament sponsored by the Unification Church, whose Korean leader was a massive football fan. They ran the tournament in Spain that season, and about a hundred people were showing up for the games, but because of the sponsorship we were on the hook for the full coverage treatment. Watching these kickabouts via a private online stream, Albrighton was by far the best youngster at the tournament and I thought he'd be a Villa regular. One of my more prescient moments, seeing his potential. (It was also around this time that I thought Bojan would be Barcelona's number 9 for the next fifteen years.)

Ranieri was a figure of fun then, precisely as you say. He'd been a colossal, generational failure at Juventus and was tumbling down the managerial pecking order. I was delighted for him when he managed that title win.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

Clough wasn't averse to spending a bob or two, and it's easy to cite Riyad Mahrez now, but they signed him from Havre in the French second tier. Leicester's achievement was absolutely monumental - teams like Forest had far less wage disparity in the pre-Sky Era than the likes of Leicester do now. 

I'm not comparing a latter day Leicester to a 1970's Forest or Derby for a second.  For a while there SassenachTon was comparing everything to the bygone era of Clough.  He seems to have moved on by comparing us to Leicester.  

Personally I think Dick Campbell's Arbroath from last season is a more realistic comparison, or even better, Derek McInnes's Kilmarnock from last season if it transpires that way.  Either way would be a good season for Morton.

55 minutes ago, Hej said:

Its not misleading.

Ngolo Kante was a £5.6m signing for Leicester who was also sought after by other teams, so he was hardly a nobody.

Danny Drinkwater joined them from Man United, having come through their youth system.  He had a few spells on loan to smaller provincial clubs which is normal for players coming through the ranks.  

Leicester spent heavily in both the transfer windows at the start of the season and the new year transfer window.

I'm not disputing that it was one of the big upsets of recent football history, with a provincial English side winning the Premiership ahead of larger and better resourced clubs from both London & Manchester.  But that provincial English side were from a considerably large city (357,394 at 2019 census; and over 1million people within a 10m radius), and that provincial English side also spend in excess of £70million to achieve this.  Granted there were players who were relative unknowns in amongst them, but that is testament to good management, good coaching and most importantly, winning more games than their competitors.  They achieved what many have previously set out to do and failed.

It is a great achievement nonetheless, but see above for more realistic comparisons to Morton's current season.

*insert signature here*

2 hours ago, Toby said:

You think it’s maybe time to get shot of the “sack the board” signature?

I get that you’re still not happy with the Lithgow signing, but they’ve got far more right than they’re getting wrong and maybe it’s time to give the benefit of the doubt, if not a bit of credit.

I can only take your word for it, as I haven't been down there for over a year now.  Dougie Imrie seems to be doing a great job, the team are in a great position and long may it continue.  However, Dougie and the team aren't the board.  The underlying problems at Morton are not suddenly fixed just because the team are playing well on the park.

They can’t just cut a two year contract, but maybe, just maybe, these guys are actually doing a good job for Morton.

And why not?  Isn't that what Raith have done with Goodwillie?  Albeit a different sport, however this is how Glasgow Clan dealt with a very similar issue which happened recently: 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-ice-hockey-team-suspends-28124361

I know that you are likely to say that Ritchie & Co weren't likely to resign over this matter, nor were they likely to admit they got it wrong.  There is no skirting around the issue that they got that wrong and they handled it very badly.   It is only a matter of time that player slithers off to Falkirk, Kelty Hearts or whoever will have him next season and he sounds off about our support in whatever podcast and everyone at Cappielow is suddenly venting their spleen at him again.  Was alienating an element of the club's fanbase worth it? 

There are also mentions on this forum about how the board is now structured and how Ritchie & Farmer have managed to wangle themselves into positions without any recourse to MCT and it's membership, which doesn't sit comfortable with some.  I'm neither an MCT member or supporter but i'm watching how it all develops with great interest.   

As for the signature, I am aware that the GMFC and MCT board members will read this forum which is why it stays.  If anything it will serve in a small way as a reminder and keep them on their toes.

*insert signature here*

As for the signature, I am aware that the GMFC and MCT board members will read this forum which is why it stays.  If anything it will serve in a small way as a reminder and keep them on their toes.

I somehow doubt it will have the effect you imagine but you're entitled to wish otherwise.

6 hours ago, capitanus said:

I'm not comparing a latter day Leicester to a 1970's Forest or Derby for a second.  For a while there SassenachTon was comparing everything to the bygone era of Clough.  He seems to have moved on by comparing us to Leicester.  

Personally I think Dick Campbell's Arbroath from last season is a more realistic comparison, or even better, Derek McInnes's Kilmarnock from last season if it transpires that way.  Either way would be a good season for Morton.

Ngolo Kante was a £5.6m signing for Leicester who was also sought after by other teams, so he was hardly a nobody.

Danny Drinkwater joined them from Man United, having come through their youth system.  He had a few spells on loan to smaller provincial clubs which is normal for players coming through the ranks.  

Leicester spent heavily in both the transfer windows at the start of the season and the new year transfer window.

I'm not disputing that it was one of the big upsets of recent football history, with a provincial English side winning the Premiership ahead of larger and better resourced clubs from both London & Manchester.  But that provincial English side were from a considerably large city (357,394 at 2019 census; and over 1million people within a 10m radius), and that provincial English side also spend in excess of £70million to achieve this.  Granted there were players who were relative unknowns in amongst them, but that is testament to good management, good coaching and most importantly, winning more games than their competitors.  They achieved what many have previously set out to do and failed.

It is a great achievement nonetheless, but see above for more realistic comparisons to Morton's current season.

The other thing to bear in mind was that Leicester were financially doping in the championship the two seasons before they went up.  If they hadn't gone up when they did, they would have been in real trouble.  Bournemouth were similar.

Not taking away from Leicester's amazing achievement, but they weren't a plucky underdog playing with loads of non league journeymen.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

Full time - check Efe with the fans.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

5 hours ago, capitanus said:

I can only take your word for it, as I haven't been down there for over a year now.  Dougie Imrie seems to be doing a great job, the team are in a great position and long may it continue.  However, Dougie and the team aren't the board.  The underlying problems at Morton are not suddenly fixed just because the team are playing well on the park.

And why not?  Isn't that what Raith have done with Goodwillie?  Albeit a different sport, however this is how Glasgow Clan dealt with a very similar issue which happened recently: 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-ice-hockey-team-suspends-28124361

I know that you are likely to say that Ritchie & Co weren't likely to resign over this matter, nor were they likely to admit they got it wrong.  There is no skirting around the issue that they got that wrong and they handled it very badly.   It is only a matter of time that player slithers off to Falkirk, Kelty Hearts or whoever will have him next season and he sounds off about our support in whatever podcast and everyone at Cappielow is suddenly venting their spleen at him again.  Was alienating an element of the club's fanbase worth it? 

There are also mentions on this forum about how the board is now structured and how Ritchie & Farmer have managed to wangle themselves into positions without any recourse to MCT and it's membership, which doesn't sit comfortable with some.  I'm neither an MCT member or supporter but i'm watching how it all develops with great interest.   

Cool.

Archived