Match Preview/Thread - Ayr United vs Morton (5th November) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Ayr United vs Morton (5th November)

Admin

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think that game summed us up, in a lot of ways. You could see our limitations and we rode our luck a bit at times…but still we managed to carve out a few opportunities and we did not lose. It sounds obvious but that last thing cannot be understated: our ability to get draws instead of defeats is massive in a league defined by “everybody can beat everybody else”. Everybody can beat everybody who isn’t Morton. 

Which isn’t to say we’re not also capable of convincing wins, or that we won’t lose a batch of games over the season, of course we will, but when you have the “base line” (if you will) of drawing if you can’t win, you won’t go far wrong and that today was a very good point indeed.

I don't just see this as a purple patch either, we seen it last season too under Imrie, where we were regularly grinding out draws. We had that bad run that culminated at Firhill, and I don't really see that being repeated again - we will most likely go a few games without a win, maybe lose a couple in a row, that's how it goes, but if there's one thing we can be fairly certain of under Dougie, it's that he won't let standards drop.

AWMSC

Draw was fair. We had the better of the first half and they looked more like scoring in the last quarter than we did.

I hate Somerset Park at the best of times, but selling cold pies from a fucking tent is tinpot stuff.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Draw a fair result in the end. We did well to come back from a goal down. I watched quitongo walk away from the Ayr number 9 at the corner and he didn't bother picking him up. Was a cracking header from Jai. Thought we controlled parts of the game but Ayr always looked dangerous on the counter. Credit to schwake who made an absolutely world class save from the Ayr number 9s bullet header and thankfully the rebound was roghtly disallowed for handball. 

A decent away crowd who were very vocal although I couldn't believe the abuse Quitongo was getting from a "fan" behind the goal. In sure the same guy was giving Imrie a bit of stick too. Laughable.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

7 hours ago, Madton said:

Marking for the first goal is awful.

For their pen shout, think Baird just about gets a toe to the ball before the big man falls over his legs.

Forgot just how insufferable their commentator was! 

Archived