Football Database Stats - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Football Database Stats

DreamOakTree

I found it quite interesting to see which of our players have the best percentages stats this season for wins, draws and losses, as I believe it’s a good reflection of their influence on the team. Grimshaw and O’Connor came out on top with 43, 29, 29, followed by Baird with 40, 33, 27, then McGrattan with 38, 31, 31. My maths are not the best but Lyon has 33, 50, 17, albeit in very few starts, but some bright spark could maybe tell me that’s better than some of the others!

Means very little (but not nothing) in isolation, needs to be computed against who their central defensive partner is (for example) and against the strength of the opposition. That's why it's very seldom used as a standalone metric, because without accompanying info it can be misleading.

As an example of how misleading these can be, you've credited Reece Lyon with a win, even though he was off the pitch a good 15 minutes before the only goal of the game was scored against Cove. Was his input in the 60 minutes he played what spurred the team on to score in the 77th? Seems unlikely to me, but your figures would suggest that as a likely explanation. 

I'd reconsider taking these stats seriously if I were you. Actually if I were you I'd go and take a vow of silence somewhere beneath the earth's surface. 

Edit: in fact wtf are these Reece Lyon stats all about? Are you counting the Hibs game as played? I don't see how it adds up otherwise. 

EOho8Pw.png

Finally had a chance to check: the only way Reece has a 33% win rate from his six games this season is if you count the Cove game (which was 0-0 for the entirety of his time on the pitch) as a win for Reece Lyon, and if you count the Hibs game (which was 1-1 on the pitch, won on penalties) as a win for Reece Lyon.

You should only use appearance-win in conjunction with other players' records and against weighted opposition. 

EOho8Pw.png

16 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Finally had a chance to check: the only way Reece has a 33% win rate from his six games this season is if you count the Cove game (which was 0-0 for the entirety of his time on the pitch) as a win for Reece Lyon, and if you count the Hibs game (which was 1-1 on the pitch, won on penalties) as a win for Reece Lyon.

You should only use appearance-win in conjunction with other players' records and against weighted opposition. 

Not to mention that presenting 33% wins, 50% draws and 17% defeats without mentioning the tiny sample size, that this (if the figures were accurate) would actually amount to 2 wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat, removes valuable context as well. We're not dealing with a whole season worth of results with and without Allan Jenkins here.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Was curious to know how Dougie compared to our previous managers when it comes to wins in the second tier only, over the last 20 years or so. Unsurprisingly, he's fecking smashing it.

Imrie- 13/31-  42%

Hopkin- 12/34-  35%

Moore- 43/122- 35%

Duffy- 37/108- 34%

Grady-10/30-  33%

Irons-16/ 53 30%

JJ- 9/32-  28%

McInally- 6/25- 24%

McElhone- 3/13-  23%

Shiels- 4/22-  18%

Gus McPherson- 3/24- 12.5%

Didn't bother looking at Evans, Maxwell, McCall etc as we were a riot back then with admin etc and wouldn't get near Dougie's stats anyway.

Going from our worst to our best is something else. What a fecking disaster Gus was.

Considering he inherited a squad built by Gus who only managed 2 wins from 16 before he arrived and then the budget issues in the summer, the man has done some job. Hopefully the Dalrada partnership continues to grow and Dougie is well looked after both personally and with his playing budget.

The only managers in our history with better second tier records than Imrie are Hal Stewart, Tommy McLean, Benny Rooney and (just - winning on Saturday would see Imrie overtake him) Gibby McKenzie. Stewart, McLean and Rooney obviously all got us promoted while McKenzie lasted two seasons, but was managing in the 50s when it was two 18 team leagues and his best finish was 4th.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

2 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

The only managers in our history with better second tier records than Imrie are Hal Stewart, Tommy McLean, Benny Rooney and (just - winning on Saturday would see Imrie overtake him) Gibby McKenzie. Stewart, McLean and Rooney obviously all got us promoted while McKenzie lasted two seasons, but was managing in the 50s when it was two 18 team leagues and his best finish was 4th.

giphy (3).gif

Gus wasn't the problem though. 🤡

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

22 hours ago, Madton said:

Was curious to know how Dougie compared to our previous managers when it comes to wins in the second tier only, over the last 20 years or so. Unsurprisingly, he's fecking smashing it.

Imrie- 13/31-  42%

Hopkin- 12/34-  35%

Moore- 43/122- 35%

Duffy- 37/108- 34%

Grady-10/30-  33%

Irons-16/ 53 30%

JJ- 9/32-  28%

McInally- 6/25- 24%

McElhone- 3/13-  23%

Shiels- 4/22-  18%

Gus McPherson- 3/24- 12.5%

Didn't bother looking at Evans, Maxwell, McCall etc as we were a riot back then with admin etc and wouldn't get near Dougie's stats anyway.

Going from our worst to our best is something else. What a fecking disaster Gus was.

Considering he inherited a squad built by Gus who only managed 2 wins from 16 before he arrived and then the budget issues in the summer, the man has done some job. Hopefully the Dalrada partnership continues to grow and Dougie is well looked after both personally and with his playing budget.

And yet someone decided it was a great idea to award Gus a 2 year contract, presumably sanctioned also by the Board at the time. D'oh! 

Great work by the way Madton, nice to see that the stats actually confirm what we all suspected.

Dougie is he best manager we've had in my lifetime, since Benny Rooney. And with more experience he's only going to get even better. It's probably only a matter of time before a bigger club snaps him up, so we should all enjoy having him while we can. 

55 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

And with more experience he's only going to get even better. It's probably only a matter of time before a bigger club snaps him up, so we should all enjoy having him while we can. 

Good that we have ourselves coveted for that with the management team contracted to summer 2024 so would be due some compensation if anyone did come calling.

5 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Good that we have ourselves coveted for that with the management team contracted to summer 2024 so would be due some compensation if anyone did come calling.

Yep. It's a no-lose situation. Obviously we want to keep him, but if he does move on, we'll get some cash for it and can hopefully source a decent replacement. It'd be the toughest of acts to follow, but there'll be someone out there who can do it.

EOho8Pw.png

2 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Yep. It's a no-lose situation. Obviously we want to keep him, but if he does move on, we'll get some cash for it and can hopefully source a decent replacement. It'd be the toughest of acts to follow, but there'll be someone out there who can do it.

Going by the stats above though, it'll be unlikely we'd get a replacement of his caliber.

6 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Going by the stats above though, it'll be unlikely we'd get a replacement of his caliber.

Absolutely. It would take astronomical good luck for that to happen. But if we're careful we won't end up with a dud.

EOho8Pw.png

6 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Which part of MCT's 100% success rate in managerial appointments do you doubt?

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

On 11/2/2022 at 5:02 PM, TRVMP said:

the stats came from the site below. I didn’t come up with Reece Lyon’s or anyone else’s. I simply posted the top few players from the list. 

https://m.footballdatabase.eu/en/club/team/3539-greenock_morton/2021-2022

• 2 weeks later...

Archived