Match Preview/Thread - Dundee vs Morton (22nd October) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Dundee vs Morton (22nd October)

Admin

Very similar to the first game against them. We took the game to them throughout and had more of the pressure, without creating enough to clearly deserve to win. The only spell when we struggled was after Dundee made four subs and just got a much fresher Rudden, McMullan etc. to run at us. For their fans to bleat about their squad rather than blaming their shite manager - when they're bringing players on who will be on 4x our highest paid player each - is nonsense. The ridiculous difference in terms of squad depth today might have cost us at that point, but the red card stuck a fork in their stupid, wee rally and we then had the better chances to win.

A very good set of results and most pleasing is that it was a genuinely  capable performance rather than any desperate, backs against the wall effort. The players are linking up with some confidence at the moment so hopefully we can build on this by swording those moaning teuchters on Friday. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like Dougies game plan worked and the mighty 2nd club of some east coast shitpit failed to deliver the home win so many of their scabby fans expected. With Falkirk and Partick also losing, it's turned out to be a decent day.

Dundee are rotten.

I know these are a few huge "ifs" and "buts", but if Dougie had been a wee bit wiser in his signings and we actually had more than a handful of established Championship/senior footballers, we'd have had a seriously strong shot at winning this league. Everybody beats everybody else constantly, on any given weekend I'd guess that it's very rare for even 3 of the favourites to win, and yet Dougie has found a way to make us able to get draws in games other teams would lose, or indeed scrape a win instead of a draw. 

He's doing that with not very much at all, if you gave him just a wee bit more quality (and again, we can't overlook the fact that he's partly at fault here, but still) through the squad then there's no reason at all to think he couldn't have us in with a very, very real shot at the title. 

None of this is to bemoan what he's currently doing or anything, very far from it, and it's not a bad thing...quite the opposite, really. Given how this club has been for about a decade, it's fuckin great to have someone at the helm who you can believe in and who allows you to daydream a wee bit. I've said this before but under any other manager in god knows how long, our season would have finished at Firhill, and yet with Dougie it appears it may well have started there. 

AWMSC

17 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Dundee are rotten.

I know these are a few huge "ifs" and "buts", but if Dougie had been a wee bit wiser in his signings and we actually had more than a handful of established Championship/senior footballers, we'd have had a seriously strong shot at winning this league. Everybody beats everybody else constantly, on any given weekend I'd guess that it's very rare for even 3 of the favourites to win, and yet Dougie has found a way to make us able to get draws in games other teams would lose, or indeed scrape a win instead of a draw. 

He's doing that with not very much at all, if you gave him just a wee bit more quality (and again, we can't overlook the fact that he's partly at fault here, but still) through the squad then there's no reason at all to think he couldn't have us in with a very, very real shot at the title. 

None of this is to bemoan what he's currently doing or anything, very far from it, and it's not a bad thing...quite the opposite, really. Given how this club has been for about a decade, it's fuckin great to have someone at the helm who you can believe in and who allows you to daydream a wee bit. I've said this before but under any other manager in god knows how long, our season would have finished at Firhill, and yet with Dougie it appears it may well have started there. 

He probably signed the best he could. We missed out on several players choosing to go elsewhere. 

Working with a tiny budget.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Decent result.  We’re only three points off the top and even have a reasonable goal difference for once. Dare to dream…

Is that a photo of a handball in the box? What’s the story there?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

1 hour ago, TONofmemories said:

He probably signed the best he could. We missed out on several players choosing to go elsewhere. 

Working with a tiny budget.

Aye, there's no question he was working within fine margins and, it seems, had the rug pulled away from under him. That doesn't necessarily mean all his choices were the wisest, but whatever we ended up with was going to be limited in some way or another and we were always going to be relying on Dougie making the most of it so little point dwelling on that and as you say, the biggest factor is the budget. Wasn't meaning to have a go at him anyway, other than as a general point about our chances with a wee bit more quality.

AWMSC

54 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Decent result.  We’re only three points off the top and even have a reasonable goal difference for once. Dare to dream…

Just the weekly ignored handball, nothing to see here.

Seriously though, it's absurd just how often clear handballs in the box get ignored against us. It feels like it happens in nearly every game and I don't think we've been given a penalty for a single one of them. 

AWMSC

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

My hope is we hang on until January and strengthen.

It sounds like there was budget for a couple of players so hopefully with a few months of salary savings it means we can make more attractive offers then that improve the team. 

Dougie hit the nail on the head during the pre-match interview when he said that the team had started to gel. It's been proven time and time again that you don't need a team full of global superstars and a vast budget to be successful and go all the way. What you need is solid, focused management, guiding a team full of self-belief who all play for each other. Who, for example, would possibly have thought that wee Leicester City would outgun the big boys and win the English Premiership awhile back? Not really relevant maybe - but it shows that it can be done. I'm more excited about our prospects now than I've been for years. Mon the Ton.

5 hours ago, Madton said:

Derek Ferguson was suggesting a pen for us against Crawford on the radio but it's Derek Ferguson so entirely possible it was a pen shout for Dundee instead.

Anyone at game shed any light?

Similar to the shout for Crawford last week - running through and possibly a pull back (although it was the other end of the ground). I wouldn't expect to see it awarded but there was a case for it.

Blues has been very good defensively in the past few games - a great recovery run and block last week at 0-0, and some effective tackles to break up play today. Grimshaw is like a regen of David van Zanten: a player with a touch of composure from playing at a higher level, who makes the rest of the team all the better for it. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

As long as Ayr avoid defeat against Thistle on Tues, we can go joint top on Friday which is quite incredible considering the state of us 3 weeks ago

Every confidence in Dougie to get us 3 points and make Dodds miserable in Greenock once again.

Just the 4 goals conceded in 6 at Cappielow, the best home defensive record in the league.

Archived